“Excellent food”
Review of I D

I D
Ranked #1,234 of 6,662 Restaurants in Chennai (Madras)
Cuisines: Indian
Description: Outstanding South Indian food. Awesome idles, flavoured dosas and other south Indian dishes coupled with great service.
Chennai (Madras), India
“Excellent food”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have visited thrice in the Phoenix Mall. Cost wise it is very high, but it was okay for me as I had some discount coupon. The serving people are awesome. I am yet to find some well behaved restaurant in Chennai.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank EnjoyUrHoliday

New Delhi, India
“Overhype and extraordinary pricing”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I went to three of their I D restaurants located in Satyam Cinemas, Phoneix Mall and Forum Mall.
Basically I feel any person who is opening a restaurant or cafe should be passionate about food and cooking and must be knowledgable about the type of cuisine they are serving which I feel is totally lacking in this restaurant. Except for glittering interiors with hurried waiters taking the orders in a very hurried manner, there is no other charm in these cafes. There is no basic understanding of the recipes or menus in respect of the most dishes served here except for the basic dosa and idli.
I have ordered Rava Idli and it was quite disappointing to see and taste it. Rava Idli is a dish famous in karnataka and wherever you go there, especially in Kamath or Shanbagh group, you get piping hot Rava Idlis with a dollop of ghee, fried cashew nuts served with vegetable kurma and coconut chutney. But in I D cafe it was very difficult to ascertain what type of idli they served, because its close to an ordinary idli and moreover it was served with stale chutney and sambar and each idli was priced at Rs.25.

After a disappointing stint with this Rava Idli we ordered coffee and it came in a medium cup and hold your breath its priced Rs.50. The coffee is quite ordinary in a medium cup almost cold and there is nothing to boast of.

For three ordinary so-called rava idlis and one coffee I have to pay Rs.130/-.

Though I must be considerate to their pricing because its located inside posh malls, but even then the taste and the quantity do not have any meaning or justice in paying that much amount of hefty price.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Rajani B
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“not worth”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I went with family on a weekend. The service was one of the worst possible. The place is supposedly specialist in Dosas. we had some different types of Dosas, but none of them were good or impressed. will never go there again. But the desert kasi halwa was good and we had to ask for seconds.

Visited June 2013
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
“Awesomeness”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I've been wanting to go to ID for ages, and it has been always crowded whenever I've tried to approach it after a movie in Sathyam Cinemas. So, I didn't let go of the opportunity when they opened it in Phoenix Market City. Surprisingly it wasn't too crowded here.
The ambience is not bad, with black and white alternating interiors and a steel plate on which we ought to eat whatever we order.

Now to the food.
Pure awesomeness. I have no other word to describe it. Sambhar is truly classy, idly really good and Pongal - wow!
A good south indian restaurant should pride itself in the sambhar. And ID is no worse.
Great effort has gone into the masala dosa, and it shows evidently while eating

There was one small snag though, which was taken care of well in the end.
We discovered a small stone in the pongal - which was otherwise very good, and they immediately brought a new pongal, which we refused to accept. So, they took the original pongal off the bill instead.

Service overall is pretty good. They keep refilling the hot sambhar and the three tasty chutneys.
Value for money? It's a fine dining restaurant, so you can't expect it to be very cheap, but it doesn't steal your wallet.

Will I go back? You bet I would!

• Visited June 2013
Chennai (Madras), India
“Awesome South Indian food”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

We go to ID very often - love the dosas and the vadas .. Fresh n served to you off the stove.. Onion Rava dosa is a killer !!
It's an open kitchen and u can sit around the counter If u like - we always do that and love it
Weekends may get crowded but it's a fast moving crowd n turns around quickly
Service is quite nice.. Parking may be a pain at Sathyam especially the weekend

Food in general is very very good. We tried the new ID at the Phoenix mall velacherry yesterday - very nice and spacious restaurant and top class food and service
No counter service here but !! Pls add soon