Having tried some of the finest 5 star Hotels in Chennai before, I wanted to give Raintree Anna Salai a try and I regret my decision. I stayed there with my son for 4 nights in the last week of April 2013 in a twin-bed deluxe room. The first impression: It was a masquerade in the name of a 5 star Hotel. In fact, nothing about this Hotel seemed 5 Star to me, except the RATES!
1. Good location & a good facade
2. Effortless check-in
3. Nice sound-proofing (even on the 4th floor, you do not hear much noise, though the Hotel is bang on the main road with heavy traffic by day)
4. Good Laundry (Though they don’t leave behind a copy of the checklist – You have no way of claiming any lost clothing in case they do)
5. Internet speed is good
6. Table service in ‘The Kitchen’ is quick
1. The rooms are small and look very ordinary (more like a 3 star deluxe property).
2. The décor in the Hotel and the room is too simple and lacks any sense of luxury that the Hotel is trying to portray
3. No in-room gadgetry or comforts that other 5 star Hotels provide as a ‘basic’
4. The twin beds had wheels on one end and legs on the other, something that one finds only in a Hospital! The Hospital beds have at least locks on the wheels, while these do not! Result: your bed keeps moving away every time you either recline on the head board or when you turn in your sleep! I could never sleep well on any of the 4 nights in those squeaky, mobile beds!
5. The shower alternator came off at the very first shower I tried to take (for a fairly new Hotel!)
6. The bathroom amenities are very minimal. Some 4 star Hotels provide better.
7. Poor housekeeping: Firstly, they never turn up in time when you call or order something in-room. Secondly, they always ask you when they can come back to clear the food tray: you tell them when and they make sure to never turn up!! This happened every time! Result: The leftover food stays overnight in the room and the room smells!
8. Elevators can only be accessed by the Hotel guests using their room key card, which fails many times and you have to go to the Reception time and again to have it updated! Saw many guests fretting.
9. Buffet breakfast spread at ‘The Kitchen’ does not offer much variety and the taste of the food leaves much to be desired. Bacon is always burnt stiff, no one checks to turn the food in the chafing dishes and they end up getting burnt or becoming hard and crunchy!
10. A few waiters need to learn manners in handling guests: I had once ordered a bottle of beer over lunch and when the guy learnt that I am staying in the Hotel, he simply tried to take away the bottle as it was not a part of the free buffet! He could have asked if I would like to pay for it and I would damn well said ‘YESSS’!
11. The rooftop pool location is excellent but the pool is too small (for kids only?) and not a soul to supervise during the day time.
Lastly, I would any day prefer to spend the same money and get a much better deal in many ways in other Hotels like the Hyatt, rather than stay again in the Raintree which calls itself an ‘Eco-sensitive business Hotel’. Would do better if they could be pocket-sensitive too, if they cannot live up to be a 5 star Hotel, as they claim!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Raintree Anna Salai Hotel is located a 20-minute drive from Chennai International Airport. It provides well-appointed rooms and 5-star facilities like a Swimming Pool, spa and a GYM. Complimentary Wi-Fi is available for 24 hours. Rooms are tastefully decorated with wooden flooring and large windows which come with a flat-screen cable TV, coffee/tea maker and iron and Ironing Board. Select rooms have a bathtub in the bathroom. Guests can pamper themselves with massages and body treatments at the spa or take a dip in the large outdoor pool. There is also a well-equipped fitness center for guests convenience at The Raintree Anna Salai. The Raintree Hotel offers a memorable dining experience at its rooftop restaurant -UP North with stunning views of Chennai's skyline accompany the delicious meals. Both a local and international menu is available. Located in Chennai, The Raintree Hotel Anna Salai is a 15-minute drive from Chennai Central Train Station. Nearby tourist attractions include Marina Beach, the Santhome Cathedral Basilica and Kapalashewar Temple. The hotel is about 3 km from the United States Consulate in Chennai. T - Nagar is a great choice for travelers interested in Shopping for clothes, Shopping and Culture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Raintree Hotel - Anna Salai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Raintree Hotel, Annasalai Hotel Chennai (Madras)