“Great, convenient hotel in Chennai”

The Raintree Hotel - Anna Salai
Ranked #13 of 415 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed at The RainTree Hotel Anna Salai for 2 nights just after Christmas 2012. After a long day of travel from the US, it was the perfect place to rest and relax before my travels ahead. I booked through Expedia and got a complimentary airport transfer to the hotel. The hotel sent someone to the airport, and it was very convenient to find them and get to the hotel, plus the van was super air conditioned with cold bottled water. The food options are good - they have a great buffet breakfast (indian and western food options). There is another more formal restaurant and bar, but I didn't think the food options or ambiance were all that great. The pool area is nice but a bit windy when I was there.

One area that made this a 4 star review instead of 5 star - there was a slight mix up with my Expedia reservation, and they wanted to charge me for the nights I had already prepaid as well as my free airport transfer. however, they were gracious and worked through it with me. All in all, a great stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
G_M-The_Raintree, General Manager at The Raintree Hotel - Anna Salai, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Located in the prime area of Chennai, hotel is close to marina beach and shopping prominent centers. Soft decor of rooms is soothing However, the view outside is not pleasing. With metro work going on just on the approach road to hotel, traffic congestion is a perennial problem. . Biggest plus point is very caring and helpful staff.
Swimming pool is very small and only four feet deep. I was informed by swimming coach that this is so due to govt regulation and that all hotels in Chennai have similar depth of pool.
Breakfast buffet is well laid with waiters eager to execute your special orders. Surprisingly, in dinner buffet, variety of non-veg fare is much more than vegetarian dishes.
Overall, a business like hotel with caring staff.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I celebrated my birthday party with family and friends. Very congested dinner area with lot of people. Food was ordinary, not the typical Chennai style. Being a vegetarian and staying in Middle East and traveled all over Europe, with no good restaurants to eat, I was expecting some spicy stuff. Just to cater to Caucasian customers they have downgraded the food to ordinary level with no salt or spice. Not only that, the preparations did not contain items which make the dish smell and taste well. very simple preparation. However, the staff were excellent and the Chief Chef did come up and enquired what was wrong.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Prashanth P

Dear Sir/Ma'am,

Vanakkam!!!

Thank you very much for sharing your review. It is very unfortunate to know that you did not enjoyed your dinning experience and we could not meet your expectation, i have spoken to the Chef on your valued feedback and shall work to have improved taste going forward. We really appreciate this gesture and feedback.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We went to Chennai for a 5 day stay, and while Chennai itself isn't my cup of tea, this hotel is a great. The service was exceptional, as was the breakfast buffet. Our rooms were great too.

The location is decent enough if your looking to shop in T.Nagar.

For what you get, the cost for us was reasonable.

If I ever go back, this is where I will stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Kuhan P

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I spent one night. I didn't realize that this was not at the airport - and far from it - until it was too late to cancel. They have a substantial charge for canceling within 48 hours of your scheduled check-in - what 230 room 5 star hotel does this?

BecauseI a car to the airport would cost about 1.100 RS and wifi 125 Rs, I took the 1,700 Rs package, which upgraded my room and gave me a free buffet dinner. So, by the time I was done, with the HUGE taxes levied, this cost more than the hotel I preferred at the airport. And here I thought I was saving money!

The hotel is lovely - although, oddly, my shower head didn't work. And the buffet was great for people who don't much want Indian food.

They insisted upon giving me a packed breakfast for my very early flight, which was lovely.

I had my eyebrows done at the spa - surprisingly reasonable and very good job.

But, this nit-picking aside, it is a lovely hotel if you want to stay in the center of Chennai.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Taureg

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Check-in was very effecient. Had a very wonderful, but short stay at this hotel. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Rooms are spacious,trendy,modern and immaculate. The breakfast buffet was superb. Will def recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: My room had a city view of some old, derelict buildings.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank pooby m
G_M-The_Raintree, General Manager at The Raintree Hotel - Anna Salai, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Reviewed January 6, 2013

the hotel was really good.staff friendly and the food was delicious.we had a good time.the hotel is clean and it is well located.i definitely recommend this hotel.it was a wonderful experience.the room is quite big and comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank 86nasim
G_M-The_Raintree, General Manager at The Raintree Hotel - Anna Salai, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Sir/Ma'am,

Vanakkam!!! T

Thank you very much for sharing your review. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and we met your expectation, feedback like your will also keep the team motivated. We really appreciate this gesture and feedback. We look forward to welcoming you again at The Raintree Hotel, Anna Salai.