“unbelievable stay”

The Raintree Hotel - Anna Salai
Ranked #13 of 415 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed in this hotel during 1st week of December. The rooms are excellent, the decor, the ambience and staff are just unbelievable. The food and breakfast is food, authentic south indian. The roof top restaurant is very clean, and cooking, hygiene is next to none. I had a lovely stay. The hotel location is very central in the town.

Room Tip: The airconditioning is good and temperature is well maintained
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
G_M-The_Raintree, General Manager at The Raintree Hotel - Anna Salai, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Vanakkam!!!

Thank you very much for sharing your review. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and we met your expectation, feedback like your will also keep the team motivated. We really appreciate this gesture and feedback. We look forward to welcoming you again at The Raintree Hotel, Anna Salai.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

I stayed at the Raintree in early December. I found the overall amenities to be very nice and certainly above average. I enjoyed my stay there and if it weren't for an unfortunate experience, I would recommend this hotel to fellow travelers.

The room was great, food was very nice and the location convenient for where I was working.

Unfortunately, my experience with the General Manager, Mr. Rocha, left a lot to be desired. As a background; I made an appointment with him to discuss the possibility of arranging for corporate discounts for my company. We are opening a major office in Chennai within minutes of the hotel. I plan to have quite a few people from my company travel there throughout the year.

We agreed via email to meet in the lobby at 5:00 PM. Mr. Rocha was more than 30 minutes late and made no apologies. He then recommended we sit down for a drink (coffee and tea) in the lobby restaurant. As we were ordering drinks and for the first few minutes, Mr. Rocha kept checking his phone. He was not engaged with me at all. During our brief discussion, he agree to send me information on corporate rate options (e.g., free WiFi, breakfast, etc.,). No sooner than 5 minutes after we sat down he announced that he had to leave. No explanation whatsoever. As he left he promised to send me the information via email in the next day or so. That was more than three weeks ago.

By the way, I did receive an email from him within days but it was a reminder to go to Tripadvisor to say wonderful things about his hotel.

Mr. Rocha, your hotel is nice, your staff is nice and thoughtful. You, sir unfortunately missed an opportunity to create a nice long term relationship with myself and my company.

We will be staying elsewhere.

Lastly, I would have given a higher rating then average but great service starts at the top. And, in this case, it was very, very poor.

Dear Sir,

Vanakkam!!!

Thank you very much for sharing your review. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and we met your expectation, feedback like your will also keep the team motivated. However i understand that you were not happy with the way i had managed my timing and i really cannot explain why, however their are certain days which cannot go as per your plan and i guess it was one of those. I sincerely apolozie for having you wait and answering my phone which i think took your permission before answering the call.

Do let me know incase i could be any assistance on your next visit and i assure you of one more wonderful experience.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Had a stunning lunch here. They have a buffet restaurant and an a la carte one. We went to the a la carte one. Really lovely food. The rest of my party stayed there for a few days. I had to fly on. SO I can mainly comment about food - excellent. But the buffet was very expensive - double what other good hotels charged.
Also beware the prices for them organising a taxi for you it was 3 times the price of you organising it yourself! (And Autorickshaws were a 10th of the price!)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Vanakkam!!!

Thank you very much for sharing your review. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your dining experience and we met your expectation, taxi fare are very competitive keeping in mind our competition around.

Feedback like your will also keep the team motivated. We really appreciate this gesture and feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you again at The Raintree Hotel, Anna Salai.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

A centrally located functional business hotel in Four Star category. Choose this hotel if you have a day's business in the central part of the city and if you are looking for an excellent breakfast before starting the day and a compact room with cosy bed for the night. Service is excellent and the staff are extremely polite. Room service is efficient.
There is no view from the side rooms. The room service had forgotten to place footrug in the toilet, room slippers and the iron in my room (406) at the time of allotment. which was promptly placed after bringing it to the notice of the cleaning staff next morning. The hotel is presently having difficulties at the entrance, as the road is barricaded on one side due to the ongoing metro flyover construction. Bear with the hotel for the next two to three months.

Room Tip: Ask for the room overlooking the Anna Salai. (Mount Road). There is no view from the side rooms

Vanakkam!!!

We look forward to welcoming you again at The Raintree Hotel, Anna Salai.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Hotel has a great location near my office. other than that - service is very spotty. Checkin slow, I had stones in my breakfast cereal today, of late, the power goes off every few hours. The gym is only so-so.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
G_M-The_Raintree, General Manager at The Raintree Hotel - Anna Salai, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Vanakkam!!!

Thank you very much for sharing your review. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay expect for check in being slow and i apologize for stone in the cereal, will ensure adequate level of filtration going forward, electricity is something beyond our control as we get this supply directly from the state government, however we are 200% equipped with back up generators to ensure your comfort.

Please do write to me directly on your next visit at gm.annasalai@raintreehotels.com and i shall personally take care of your booking myself.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We spent five days in this hotel and I must say this is not a five star eco hotel as advertised.

The only few good part of the hotel was the three restaurants available in which I will review individually. The hotel room interior was nicely decorated.

The bad part of the hotel was the guest service they provide and the timely manner it gets done.
For a hotel in this price range, I would expect the room will be provided with basic travelers necessities. Upon arrival, there was no room sleepers and shaver and cream. I soon found out from the front desk that they don't have it in the room but available to be provided if you ask for it!! I am not sure if this is eco-friendly or skimping on the customer. There was multiple switches for room lights but none of them works except for the master switch which turn on all the lights. Stay away from rooms near the fire exit because housekeeping cart are being stored in that area. You will constantly hear noises.

Another bad experience was that housekeeper forgot to leave towels after cleaning. It took me thirty minutes and two phone call later to be provided the right amount of towels. After using their gym, I was hoping to be able to clean-up but have to wait for the towels.

The gym is well equipped but the armrest on the bicycle exercise was imbalance. I pointed it out to the gym attendant and was told that it will be fix the next day. I came the next day and the day after that, the armrest was still imbalance. I gave up

Mosquitoes are big problem in this hotel. I understand this is an Asian country which mosquitoes are everywhere, but with so much mosquitoes greeting you in the lobby, it just made an unpleasant experience. I read a reviewer pointed out about this problem months ago, and I think whatever the hotel is doing is not effective enough or are they doing anything at all?

Another bad service about this hotel is they will not offer you the restaurant promotion and charge you the full price if you don't ask for it or not knowing anything about it. We stayed for five days and had dinner at The Kitchen for three nights and no one mentioned about the promotions discount!!

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms next to fire exit.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jonnhyu

Vanakkam!!!

Thank you very much for sharing your candid feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort you had faced while in house.

On records I have one thing to mention that i shall work strongly with my team to ensure we delight you on your next visit.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel on my visit to chennai last month. I love the modern decor and clean interiors. The breakfast buffet selection is good with lots of choices. It is close to the city center. The only downside is the ongoing mrt construction in front of the hotel making it difficult to access if you are coming from the opposite direction.I am looking forward to my stay there next week.

Room Tip: Get the premium room. The sofa is good if you need a place to stretch out other than your bed.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family