“Almost perfect...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Chennai

Hilton Chennai
Ranked #8 of 388 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Almost perfect...”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

The doors to the Hilton are manned by friendly smiles, the front desk and staff welcoming on check in. Within 10 minutes we were checked in, and given the card to our room. 5th floor, away from the main road as I had asked (advise from other reviews). The decor of the room was nice, with the saree border framework a certain charm. Loved the large open window separating the bathroom and room (don't worry, the toilet and shower cubicle is covered with black tint and the window has an electric blind, if your rooming with a colleague).

If your here on a business trip for a limited amount of days and have no plans on going shopping or to the city center this is ideal. But if your here for shopping then at best it takes you 1 hour to reach Spencer or Express Avenue Mall or even T Nagar shopping which is annoying and tiring!

Finally, room service can be best put as inconsistent! Not that the food was not good, it was excellent but inconsistent! I ordered Ice Lemon tea 3 times, and each time the tea tasted different, and was accompanied and garnished differently (once they even gave extra lime juice/sugar syrup.. which was great!). Also feel room service menu should have more South Indian lunch fares!

If you need anything sorted talk to Ashkar in the front desk, he is friendly and helpful.

Overall the Hilton is a great place to stay, close to the airport, excellent and friendly service.

Room Tip: The room I had in the 5th floor, had minimum sound from the night club, although you can hear a cert...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Noaim
GMHiltonChennai, General Manager at Hilton Chennai, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Noaim,

My team and I are delighted that you enjoyed a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for sharing your valuable insights on your experience.

Ashkar has received your kind feedback with much appreciation. He, together with the rest of the team, always works hard to deliver the warm Hilton hospitality and exemplary service to all our guests.

We also very much appreciate your feedback regarding Room Service. While we are glad that you found the food quality to be excellent, we will use your feedback to review our offerings and work on the consistency of our servings.

It was a pleasure having you with us and we look forward to welcoming you back when you next return to Chennai.

Roger Brantsma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Spain
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Last time I came to India I stayed in the Sheraton. First impressions of the Hilton were better; the decor of the hotel and rooms are very modern. I also liked the open air area on the 3rd floor.
At check in I was not asked if I wanted a smoking room. I didn't but it would have been nice to be asked. Maybe it's because Indian women do not smoke but this is a hotel catered specifically to Western business travellers.
I agree with a previous reviewer, the staff are very robotic. There is a lady in the foyer who's job it seems is to stroll around. She's very wooden. I don't even know her name, past 'hello' she is useless.
I have Crohn's disease and manage this through my diet. I ordered lunch for work and asked for rice plain, specifically no spice, jalapeños, chillies, just no spice. I picked up my lunch and it had a multitude of vegetables and chillies. It's is not plain. I therefore had no lunch as where I work there is little food all of which is Indian. I telephoned the manager who did offer to get a new one to me but the time had passed. The next day I ordered the same as I was rather looking forward to it the previous day. When I arrived, there was no lunch. I asked them to deliver it to the office. And hour and a half later it arrived full of vegetables and what I believe was jalapeños (this fact is disputed by the hotel but the fact remains it was not plain.) I asked for a further one to be delivered. The situation was fast becoming ridiculous. The staff just do not listen. A further plain rice was delivered and the hotel staff who delivered it asked for the previous one back! What for? I'd thrown it in the bin as it was useless to me but I couldn't understand this request.
Another bug bear is the fact it is a western hotel with western prices. People who stay here are 90% business on expenses. And don't the hotel know it! A glass of wine is the equivalent of £12. I didn't like the wine and asked for a Pinot Grigio. They only sell this by the bottle and were not willing to open it for a couple of glasses. This would have been drunk throughout my week there but that's the level of service they offer. Bearing in mind their clientele, the bar shuts at 10.30pm which is 5pm UK time. Helpful. You're then sent up to the Q bar where the music is so loud you can hear it in your room. Just unacceptable. The music blares Wed, Fri and Sat night until whatever hour they want to. It's 3am rule does not exist whatever they say.
The last night of my stay they cancelled the car which picks several of us up after work each night for no reason. The room the car was booked under (and has been for several weeks i.e. 8) had been checked out. They knew this in the morning when they dropped us off and didn't mention it (we didn't think to given the fact that for months they have picked up more than one person at the exact same time) and they know it is not just for the person in that room. It was just the last straw for me. I am coming back to Chennai and if I am put in this hotel I will cry.
The beds are too soft, the pillow is too and it makes you sweat terribly, the air con is rather rubbish. I too had the same experience as another reviewer whereby a stranger walked into my room. I never found out who this was. A corporate cash cow if I've ever stayed in one.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear SpanishScouse,

I am very sorry that your recent stay experience with us fell below your expectations.

I wish to assure you that your feedback is very important to us and I have discussed in depth the service shortfalls you experienced with my team. My team will reference the points you have brought up to ensure that not only do we uphold the high standards of our products and services as expected of a Hilton Worldwide Hotel, that we also meet the requirements of today's frequent international traveller.

In our continuous efforts to improve on our service delivery, our Director of Operations Mr. Manish Garg will be contacting you directly to receive more details of your experience and where necessary, take specific corrective action on some of your concerns. The well-being of all our valued guests remains at all times paramount.

My team and I sincerely regret that we did not deliver a better stay experience to you. Whilst you have indicated otherwise, we hope for another opportunity in the future to extend the true and warm hospitality that the team always strive to deliver. Thank you for staying with us.

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed December 5, 2012

As a frequent visitor to Chennai, we would usually stay at one of the 3 or 4 hotels close to the airport. Since the Hilton opened recently I have found it to be the perfect place to stay in Chennai. The staff are admirable and the place is really cozy. Some noise and mess caused by the construction of the new metro but an overall wonderful place to stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GMHiltonChennai, General Manager at Hilton Chennai, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear andreGeneva,

Thank you for your generous review of Hilton Chennai, it is our pleasure to be your hotel of choice in Chennai.

We really appreciate your encouraging feedback on your overall experience and are glad that you felt well-looked after during your stay. We look forward to being of service to you again when you are next in Chennai.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

Paid extra to be upgraded to Excutive Floor. Was treated to hours of thumping disco music all ni long. Called to complain at midnight. And was initially "no worries, the music will stop at 3 am." Had to call back twice before they would agree to switch my room.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GMHiltonChennai, General Manager at Hilton Chennai, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear C_Hedlund,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced during your stay.

I have discussed your case in depth with my team and we certainly recognise that we could have better handled your request to change rooms from your first call. You will be glad to know that we are working towards installing effective acoustic insulation in the near future.

I wish to assure you that the comfort and well-being of all our guests remain our utmost priority. In our on-going training reviews, we are heavily reinforcing the importance of being sensitive to our guests' needs, as well as responding efficiently to our guests' requests.

I understand that our Director of Operations has contacted you by now. Should you be planning your future trips to Chennai, please feel free to contact him directly on manish.garg@hilton.com. He will be happy to personally assist you with all your requirements.

I am very sorry that we didn't deliver a better stay experience for you this time. However, my team and I hope to have you with us again so that we may extend the true and warm hospitality that we always strive to deliver. Thank you for staying with us.

Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I have now stayed at 3 different properties in Chennai and the Hilton is far and away the best. My room was downright beautiful. The bathroom had a separate tub with a TV in wall, a glass partition to the bed room, and the most comfortable pillows I have ever experienced at a hotel. The room's bedside controls (including a DND button) were fantastic. The roof top deck/bar is absolutely amazing. This year I was able to experience the Diwali fireworks from this deck and it was an unbelievable site. Of the 2 restaurants the buffet had a huge selection. While not fantastic tasting and a little too pricey, the selection overcame these concerns. The fancier restaurant, Ayna, was quite good and had an excellent atmosphere. Far and away my best experience in Chennai. Surprisingly there was no Spa on property.

Room Tip: We opted for the executive package which included internet and an free happy hour. I am not sure if...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Thomas Z
GMHiltonChennai, General Manager at Hilton Chennai, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Thomas Z,

It is a great pleasure for my team and I to learn that your wonderful stay experience has made Hilton Chennai your hotel of choice in Chennai!

We truly appreciate your generous compliments of the hotel's facilities; it is wonderful to know that you were comfortable during your stay and had the opportunity to enjoy the city's Diwali celebrations. Whilst we are pleased that you enjoyed our buffet spread, we have taken note of your comments regarding the food quality. My team are taking steps to ensure that the high standards of our offerings are upheld.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again when you next return to Chennai.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 20, 2012

It is one of the best hotels that you find in central chennai.The 204 guest rooms feature state-of-the-art technology including 40 inch LCD TVs, high speed internet access, multi-international power points, in-room tea coffee maker, in-room safe, MP3 player with alarm clock, walk-in rain shower, sink side bath and comfortable bed.The staff is very cooperative and they are always willing to help Hilton Chennai offers extensive conference, event and wedding facilities at its Level 1 venues, overseen by experienced and dedicated Team Members.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
GMHiltonChennai, General Manager at Hilton Chennai, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Mitasvil,

Thank you for your kind review of Hilton Chennai, it is always a pleasure when our guests enjoy their stay experience with us.

We are delighted that our facilities met with your business requirements and that you were happy with our room, amenities and service. We look forward to being of service to you again when you return to Chennai in the future.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is my second stay at this hotel and it was a bit disappointing. The hotel is beautiful and it is nicely located close to the airport (although this is relative because of traffic).

The hotel rooms are nice but I feel the hotel is not well maintained. My first visit was in January and this time I've noticed the rooms were not well maintained and I could see a few stains in the carpet/furniture.

After an efficient check-in process I was given a room in the 8th floor. However, reading some reviews from TripAdvisor I requested a room in a lower floor because of the noise (confirmed by the hotel front desk) coming from the bar on the rooftop.

My concern was noise on the weekends and then they changed me to a room in the 3rd floor that had noise everyday, coming from another bar at the hotel. This room also had a dirty bath tub and was not in a very good condition. This is really frustrating, considering I've specifically requested a room with no noise.

After a couple of nights they've moved me to one of the suites and the problem was resolved. However, this is not what I expect from a 5 star hotel and being a Diamond member that's not how I expect to be treated.

The breakfast/dinner at Vascos is very good and it is probably one of the best things about this hotel. There is a huge variety of options at both breakfast/dinner and food is very well prepared. Dinner is expensive but I felt it was worth the cost.

I will be thinking twice whether I'm coming back to this hotel in my next trip. The poor maintenance at the hotel concerns and I also expected better service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear rafbr,

It was our pleasure to welcome you back to Hilton Chennai. As we continuously endeavour to deliver the optimum products and services expected of a luxury hotel, we truly appreciate receiving valuable feedback and insights from guests such as yourself.

I sincerely regret that the inconvenience from our service shortfalls and noise during your recent stay affected what could have been a pleasant experience with us. I wish to assure you that your loyalty as a Hilton HHonors member is very important to us and I have personally looked into the details of your stay.

After discussing your case with my team, we recognise that we could have handled your room request more efficiently. We have since reviewed our processes and are retraining our team members to be sensitive to the needs of our guests. My Housekeeping team is also taking steps to ensure the consistent delivery of the high standards of cleanliness, hygiene and maintenance throughout the hotel.

Please accept once again, our sincere apologies for the service breakdowns reported by you. We hope that you will grant us another opportunity to extend the exemplary service and true Hilton experience that we always strive to deliver.