“One of the best in Chennai”
Review of Hilton Chennai

Hilton Chennai
Ranked #10 of 395 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Lagos, Nigeria
“One of the best in Chennai”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

For business purposes I frequently visited Chennai the last 1.5 year. The Hilton is my favorite. The rooms are spacious and due to the quality beds it gives you the luxury feel a Hilton should give you. The bathrooms are great. Marble, separate shower, separate toilet and good size bath.
There are different restaurants with each its own atmosphere. Indian, Japanese or European cuisine. Even there is a BBQ restaurant on the roof. Quality of the food is very good and the staff is very willing to meet your personal requirements. Ask for the garlic pickle.. it is excellent!
In the bar every week there is life music and now and then bigger jazz/blues/rock bands play on the roof.

The downside? When you are keen on details, you can see the hotel has been build with some ‘Indian touch’. E.G. the fountain/waterfall at the entrance does not work or at heavy tropical rainfall some water flows into the bar/café. On Sunday afternoons the main restaurant is filled with families with children yelling and running around. Very lively indeed. But if you are into a more quiet Sunday brunch while enjoying your newspaper it is better to order room service. On the other hand, this is what you should do on a Sunday morning :-).

Another interesting thing about the Hilton Chennai (for the non Indian guests) is just around the corner. There are nice authentic streets with a wide variety of shops. Get a haircut, buy a coconut scraper or a sari, taste some fruit or just walk around to get a glimpse of daily life in urban India.

However, the reason of making this hotel my favorite is not the room nor the excellent wine selection or the swimming pool. It is because of the staff. With a rare combination of friendliness, warmth, punctuality and professionalism they make the hotel rise far above the average.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank JoukeBriek
GMHiltonChennai, General Manager at Hilton Chennai, responded to this review, February 19, 2012
Dear JoukeBriek,

It is very much a pleasure to know that Hilton Chennai is your favourite hotel! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for your valuable feedback on our rooms, restaurants and especially your compliments to the staff, who I am proud to say, make an exceptional team.

We are pleased to inform you that the fountain in front of the hotel is working again and we have also addressed your other comments.

Thanks again for your feedback and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Chennai.

Roger Brantsma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 4, 2012

This is my first visit to Chennai/India. We went there for our friend's wedding. I was pleasantly surprise by the hotel especially when the surrounding area was filled with old buildings and road works. The reception area is very grand. The check-in was prompt and we decided to upgrade to a club room for an extra 300 euro. This include free Wi-fi (only one electronic device at one time) in your room, breakfast at the club room or the restaurant and happy hour from 5-8pm in the cub room which includes some hot food, snacks and alcohol. Our room is spacious and beautiful. Separate shower and bath and toilet which is nice.

We ate at the Indian restaurant on the first night. The food was nice but very pricey. We had three courses each with no alcohol and it costed 80 euro. The next day, we went for breakfast at the restaurant. There were a lot of selection available. Indian, some Chinese, continental and etc. They are only OK. The Chinese section is very poor. Happy hour at the club room was good. There were very friendly and attentive staff there to serve you. The hot food selection was not great though. The roof top Q-bar is very nice. I enjoyed having a drink overlooking the view of the city. But please put some mosquito repellent or else you will get a lot of bites!

The only complain I had was that, I enquired with the reception regarding the beauty salon at the hotel. It was listed in the hotel service folder that it is available on the 10th floor. I would like to have my hair done for the wedding which was at 10am. However, the receptionist told me repeatedly that the hotel did not have a beauty salon and when I asked them that it was listed in the service folder, they did not have an answer to that. If the management is reading this post, I will appreciate an explanation to that because it is misleading.

Overall, my experience with the hotel is very positive. If there is a remote chance of us going back to Chennai, I will definitely stay in this hotel again!

Room Tip: go for club room. all rooms are well insulated so no need to worry about noise level.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank evon47
GMHiltonChennai, General Manager at Hilton Chennai, responded to this review, February 5, 2012
Dear evon47,

Thank you for reviewing Hilton Chennai. I am very pleased that on your first trip to India, you stayed with us and enjoyed our hospitality.

We very much appreciate your feedback on our rooms, club facilities and food offerings.

With regards to the beauty salon, there had been initial plans to have one when the hotel first opened. However, the plans were changed to have it included with our spa, which is due to open in the near future. We sincerely regret that the beauty salon information had not been removed from our room directory during your stay with us but can assure you that this has now been rectified.

Thanks again for sharing your experience and we certainly hope that you will plan to visit Chennai and stay with us again in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 4, 2012

The Chennai Hilton is an excellent choice for a business trip. A welcome respite in a busy and crowded city. Staff were always seeking ways to make you more confortable. Everything spotlessly clean. Housekeeping excellent. Everyone responsive to any request.

1 Thank WheelzUpGal
Dear Pat1225,

Thank you for your kind review of Hilton Chennai and especially for choosing to stay with us. We are delighted that you found the hotel a ""welcome respite"", a very important factor for all our guests when they stay with us.

My team works very hard to ensure the comfort and well-being of all our guests. It is a pleasure to know that our service contributed towards making your business stay a success.

Once again, thank you for making us your preferred hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed in the Hilton Chennai for 12 continous nights. As it was very close to Olympia technology park, this fits perfect for me.
I changed the first room they offered due to the strong smell of mold. After a previous check of another room, I was able to change within minutes. The new room was pleasant for the rest of my stay. One of my colleagues has had the same problem and was also able to change his room. I'm wondering this problem is still not solved, it was mentioned here last year.
The overall condition of my new room was very good, large sized room, bed and bath room. Enough space to store clothes. Very good laundry service. Very friendly service staff. Room was always clean and well prepared.
Very good food in Vascos restaurant. Only during breakfast I've seen some very different service qualities: One day staff was very attentive, other day nobody recognized me and I need to ask for tea and orange juice or others.
Pricing was average for business travellers but of corse much to high compared to standard indian restaurants.
Finally, I felt like at home: comfortable and secure.

3 Thank 1nordlicht
GMHiltonChennai, General Manager at Hilton Chennai, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Dear 1nordlicht,

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay after the initial inconvenience you experienced and that you felt comfortable and secure throughout your stay.

Rest assured that providing a consistent and high level of service for all our guests is very important to us. My team continues to work hard to uphold the high service quality expected of our hotel. Your comments on both the room and the restaurant service will be looked into and rectified accordingly.

Again, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and thank you for your constructive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back on your visit to Hilton Chennai.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Hilton Honors Gold Member. I have stayed at Hilton properties all around the world and Chennai Hilton is one of the finest and youngest in their portfolio. A fine 10 minutes drive from the airport. Arriving at the hotel you realize they have excellent security system in place. Check in was smooth and I was walked up to my room by a guest assistant which was pleasant surprise. The lobby was fabulous and was filled with grandeur. The room was excellent and best part was the mattress. Some how I found the programs on the Television boring. Hardly any Indian Channels were shown. Hilton Chennai can boast itself for serving one of the finest food in the city. Be it Indian or Western, the food tastes incredibly awesome ! Room was completely insulated from any outside noise. It was well decorated. The staff are well trained. Looking forward to my next trip.

Room Tip: Dont forget to try the south indian food especially the chennai filter coffee.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank CaptChaitanya
GMHiltonChennai, General Manager at Hilton Chennai, responded to this review, January 29, 2012
Dear CaptChaitanya,

I am delighted that Hilton Chennai has left you with a great impression.

We very much appreciate your feedback on all the elements and details our guests find important - from the arrival experience and security system to our room, service and even the finer details, such as the mattress in the room and general ambience of the lobby.

Thank you also for your very generous and encouraging remarks about our food offering. It is a pleasure to know that this was a highlight of your stay.

We certainly look forward to wecoming you back on your next trip to Chennai.

Farmingdale, New Jersey
Reviewed January 27, 2012

I am silver member and currently staying at this property for 36 straight nights. Even though I emailed the hotel prior to my arrival requesting a room upgrade or at least allow access to the executive lounge, I was denied. Not just that, they had the audacity to ask me to pay for my upgrade. I booked a room with a city view and had requested a room on high floor, and I got neither. In the past other Hilton properties went out of their way to take care of me as I am a loyal Hilton member, but not this one. My work will bring me to Chennai often and rest assured I will never stay at this property again.

1 Thank TmacNewYork
Dear TmacNewYork,

Thank you for your feedback. Since you are still in-house, I will contact you directly to discuss and resolve this matter with you.

It is very important to us to ensure the satisfaction of all our guests during their stay.

I look forward to meeting you soon.

Roger Brantsma
(+91-44 2225 5555 / roger.brantsma@hilton.com)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I had stayed in this hotel during my business visit. Hotel ambience was good. Staff service was satisfactory. Rooms were neat and tidy. Food was as well delicious.Hotel is in close vicinity to airport.I would surely recomend it.

Room Tip: No specific tips as such.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank kartikthakker
GMHiltonChennai, General Manager at Hilton Chennai, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Dear kartikthakker,

Thank you for your review and recommendation of Hilton Chennai. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.