“Advantage - close to Consulate... Nothing else”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chennai (Madras)
Hotel Landmark View
Ranked #336 of 395 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Phoenix, Arizona
“Advantage - close to Consulate... Nothing else”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The only reason I gave two star is - it is walkable from consulate and on the Main road.
Except being near to consulate.. dont think about this hotel

Thank god. I went alone..
I stayed in a A/C room paying Rs.1000.
It is bit dilapidated room. Bad bed coverings. Bath-room is really bad.
If you can adjust, go ahead.. A/C works (it produces cool air). TV worked.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank gokulanathan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Coimbatore, India
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I booked this hotel after looking at the IRCTC list of recommended hotels. Its the worst, most unhygienic, fungus covered hotel of all time. The service is bad. There is no reception. Its just a box and there's no attendant. There is no generator, so when there's a power outage you can imagine your plight in the Chennai summer. The room was dusty and the sheets were rotting away. The bathroom was in a pathetic condition. I DO NOT recommend this hotel under any circumstances, not even emergencies.I was traumatized by the experience.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor, just don't go there.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank travelguru56_12

Travelers are raving about these Chennai (Madras) hotels

Reviewed April 7, 2012

I went to Chennai for my Visa Interview. As such I had to stay for only one night and wanted to economise my stay. I chose this Hotel because the rate for a non-AC room looked reasonable and the address mentioned it is opposite to Consulate.

In short, following are the issues I faced -
1. Wrong address. This is not opposite to consulate
2. No backup power, and there is a scheduled power cut every day
3. Hotel is dingy, no more better looking than Hotel Decent of Jab We Met
4. The room is infested with small cockroaches and even bed bugs
5. No Room Service whatsoever
6. No Breakfast
7. No receipt for people who book online

To begin with, this is not opposite to consulate. Not until you adjust your "opposite" to "diagonally opposite", and then take your diagonal too far to make any sense. If this is the case, I can draw a straight between the consulate and my home in Bangalore and say I live opposite to the Consulate. Because a straight line can be drawn between any two points.
More realistically, the Hotel is bang opposite to the Thousand Lights Mosque and that would be the most appropriate address. The consulate is a good 500 meters walk.

I knew I was an idiot to book a non-AC room in Chennai, but since my stay in the hotel was from 15th late afternoon to 16th morning, I thought I an bear the heat. Turns out the hotel does not have a backup power source and there is no power between 4 pm to 6 pm every day.

The Hotel is too dingy. The entrance is blink-and-you-miss-it types. A small slit in the wall good enough for one person to stand, but not with his luggage by his side. No elevator, but they have a CC Camera in the stair-case! Not sure if it is working, not sure what's the purpose...

The room is small, which was okay as I only had to stay for a night. The attached bathroom looked like it was painted 10 yrs ago and perhaps last cleaned around the same time. There is no Geyser, the taps are old looking and a bit rusty, and the hand-shower when touched fell off from the pipe to which it was attached.
The room and the toilet is infested with cockroaches. I use the word infested because the cockroaches roam around with the confidance as if they own the room. Usually, cockroaches use stealth mode, scurry when they see people or light. Here, every time I went to open the main door, a cockroach was right there on the door or the knob. I removed my watch and my wallet and kept it on the side table and within minutes a two cockroach sqad was on them to find out what the new things were!!
Bed had bed bugs. I was so terrified that had it not been my precious document originals and my office laptop and stuff, I would not have thought twice before incinerating them than risking to carry a couple of those back home.
As such, I moved one of the chairs in the center of the room and put all my stuff on it. Before leaving the next day, I put the entire contents out, shielding them from cockroaches and checked everything seam to seam to ensure there was no foreign intruder in there ready for his journey to bangalore. Even when I came home I sat in the middle of the hall, spread the contents on the floor on a white cloth while my wife kept a watchful eye and scanned everything before putting it back to its original place. Certainly not an exercise one would like to carry as a part of one's travel.

There is no room service. Although there is a reason to believe it might have existed some time in the past since there is a menu in the room and there is a card on TV that says room service and mentions some 3-digit number for Reception. However, there is no phone to dial!!!
No Drinking Water in the room, and the TV has a subscription to every local south indian channel with a few hindi / english channels peeking in between. Perhaps one non-south indian channel per 10 south indian channels or so...
The TV reception is also weird. Most of the time that I was there, specially the next day morning, the TV did not work. Perhaps it was the power cut time for the area where the cable operator works from. Again, you cannot complain because there is no room service or no phone.
Nobody came to clean the room. And I was in the room from 9 am to 1:45 pm. So I could not have missed it.

There is no breakfast. Of course it is not included in the price and so I was not expecting it delivered to my room. However I was up since 06:30 am due to my Visa interview and when I came back and finally went out around 09:30 am, the restaurant was still closed. Not sure when they opened it and I had to go to a small-time hotel nearby for my breakfast. The hotel was so small-time that a Chhola-Bhatura and Tea costed me only Rs. 38/-.

Finally, at the end of the stay I asked the Hotel for receipt. The person refused to issue a receipt, saying the people who book online already get an email from the portal and a travel voucher. So that alone should be considered as a receipt and no other receipt from the Hotel is provided. I feel this is cheating because the travel voucher and email from Yatra are only confirmations that the booking is made, and that Yatra received the money from me. But the receipt on Hotel's name must be provided to confirm that the money that was paid to Yatra was indeed for this hotel and that they acknowledge it by issuing a receipt of my one night's stay there.

The one-circle rating is only because of the food, which was while in the middle of a south-indian state, was decently north indian. I have had hotels in Bangalore and Hyderabad 20 times decent looking than Landmark's restaurant and they still serve Panner Lazeez thick with Curry Leaves!! Comparing to that, an unlimited north-indian Thali for 150/- is not a bad choice. There are some other options also and I think the min for a Thali is 100/- which is passable as well...

Overall, for 756/- for a night, the hotel is not a value for money at all. Even if they had a power backup and a clean room, I would have still given the hotel at least 4 stars for being value for money and for being reasonably close to consulate. However when basic stuff like a clean room and clean toilet is not provided, even 10/- spent are not worth...

AVOID the Hotel at any cost...

Room Tip: The only tip to choose a good room is to choose it outside of Landmark View, in some other hotel...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Soaham
Faridabad
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Very Bad Hotel. Kindly avoid. I reached at 6 in the morning and I had to wait for half an hour to get an entry and that too after making 5 - 6 calls, ringing bells and what NOT!!!. Since I had paid in advance through online I had no option. The room ceiling are falling, the AC's do not have a remote, the TV remote doesnot work and to top it all the rooms do not have telephone. the ceilings are very low throughout the hotel. The corridors and staircases are very narrow.

The staff uneducated and unfriendly. And all this for Rs. 1000/ a day price. I suffered, You don't That's what this review.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank BThomas_12
Reviewed January 18, 2011

There was no room ventilation. Rooms are dirty and very small.... I dont recommend to stay he at any price..... horrible place to stay...... Price was too much for the quality of stay.... avoid... avoid ..... avoid.....

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank prasannavg
Reviewed December 26, 2010

Hi, this is a horrible hotel. We should not say its a hotel. its not like lodge also.. very noisy,small rooms, small restaurant. I booked this hotel by seeing their website. they put the photos of other hotel. please please avoid this hotel

• Stayed December 2010
6 Thank Sagar54249
Reviewed November 18, 2010

Noisy, no Internet, Very Small Rooms, Dirty Bathroom, Squeeze stairs, room service wasn't good, food taste was worst, room phone didn't worked...

At Walkable Distance from US Embassy is the only positive point.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business