“Hotel with bad smell” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Emarald Hotel & ZO Rooms

Emarald Hotel & ZO Rooms
Ranked #185 of 386 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Bern, Switzerland
“Hotel with bad smell”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

The location between central railway station and egmore railway station is perfect. Staff is friendly and helpful. We could check in the room already at 7am.

Any room at this hotel has got windows that you can open! So the room smelt awfully and was humid. AC has just one temperature (rather warm). Wifi didn't work. At 3 am we received a phone call from the reception, telling us to open the room as the foreigner police wants to check our room and identity. This was the first time I was asked to open the room in the middle of the night! We refused and they let us sleep. The next morning at check-out they appologized for the call and said it was for our security that the police was searching in all the hotels for Tamils and Pakistani (Terrorism). We definitely felt unsafe after that call and were very surprised that the police forces didn't insist on checking our room and expected our refusal... We don't know whether the staff's explanation was true or whether they tried to get access to our room for any other reason...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Great Falls, Montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

I have come to Chennai for a month. The Emarald became my home within days. Of course, there are some people who stand out, but overall it is the helpful and concerned staff that made my stay in Chennai a memorable one.

The rooms are very clean with everything that you need as a vacation hotel or a business hotel. Do not judge this small hotel by the exterior, come into the inner courtyard and parking lot and enter a peaceful place away from the noise of the City. The colorful decor in the lobby takes you by the dining room (a very expansive breakfast buffet comes with your room) to the elevator or stairs. This is an older property, so the building has character.

The rooms, however, are modern and provide anything you need. Even if you sleep all day and need food late at night, they will find something to offer you when the kitchen is closed. You have a table and 2 chairs to eat at in your room and a desk and chair for your laptop. I brought my own step-down unit from the USA, so all I had to do was ask for a cord for connection to the Internet. WiFi is not available, the trade-off for having an old property with charm. My reservations through Agoda included the Internet connection, otherwise there would be an extra charge.

My stay started in early October and ended in early November. Chennai was still having extra warm weather, so the air conditioning was a blessing. Housekeeping was efficient, but also left me alone when I wanted a day to myself without travel. Everyone understood that I had an injury and helped me in every way I could ask for, including charging my loaned mobile phone when needed.

They are small, but provide full concierge services. Whenever I needed transportation, they have been arranging it, whether it be a car for some hours, a day or a taxi for place to place requirements. I found that I liked my driver the first day and they made sure I could continue with him throughout my stay. There was always staff around from all departments that spoke English well enough to meet my needs. I felt safe coming and going.

I recommend this property without exception and feel the 3 star rating it receives is appropriate for the physical plant, but added another star for their superior service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of the hall to get the most quiet room for the weekends when there are mor...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
Bangalore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2009

Nice place to stay in Chennai if you are in town for a day or two on business or personal visit. Compared to other hotels in this area, this one seems to decent, my room was clean. You will get to hear the sounds of suburban trains during the day, it is not disturbing, actually enjoyable ! Would not recommend the attached restaurant except for the complimentary breakfast. It is located next to 'Park' station, opposite chennai central railway station.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2009

Chennai is a confusing city for the visitor... - and there is not much to hold them... - it is hot and it is flat and there is lots of traffic. The airport seems miles away form the centre of town....

Having said that, if you have a good travel guide, there is quite a lot to see and do and some great hotels and places to eat out at night. I came from Otty by train and a friend of mine booked me into the Emarald Hotel in Chennai. - it close to the railway station (Chennai Central and Chennai Park station, which is surbubian I think) and so easy to get to - it seemed only to be a few minutes but that was by car or tuk tuk !

Arriving there, the reception area was smart in a quietly modern way, Check-in was speedy and the foyer hot - a rat had got into the electrical works and done his work on the wiring - a frequent problem in an old city like Chennai I think.

Having said that, my room was great - it had a view on to surrounding scrub, was on the railway line - the rooms are "double glazed" and the infrequent trains passing were a pleasant distraction and did not intrude into the room. - the accommodation was spacious and the bathrooms clean with all the necessary requirements.

When staying at this hotel, you really want for nothing and I would recommend it for those wishing to do business, be close to the Government Hospital or catching a train.

I was very happy staying at the Emarald - it is a good city hotel. I had friends in Chennai so I did not try the restaurant, but I am sure that it was of good standard as was obviously the case in the rest of the hotel.

"Room Only" prices were good to - from Rs. 1500 for a standard Single room and 2500 for a Double. Executive rooms and Suites are slightly more...

I would recommend this hotel to.

Mike - Australia