“Good place for a short stay”

Lemon Tree Hotel, Chennai
Ranked #38 of 388 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Good place for a short stay”
Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

As usual with Lemon Tree hotels, this too provided a lovely fresh fragrance of lemon upon entry.booking was done via the company I work for so everything was clockwork. Upon entry though, I noticed the resident gecko on the side of one of the chairs in the lobby - hard to see as it is well camouflaged. I'm all for wildlife, but that was just weird and unclean. Apart from that, the service was outstanding. Staff were very helpful and polite. The room I got on the 5th floor was tiny; noticeably smaller than the one I got at Lemon Tree Gurgaon. As a result there wasn't much space to move around and there was a chair with a table too tightly cramped up. The room however was very clean and well laid out. The water pressure in the shower is amazing and works perfectly. Small gripe about the snacks provided though: they weren't of the exact quantity stated in the mini bar infocard. Didn't get charged unnecessarily for this though so that was good. The bed was very comfy so that's a good plus. Laundry service is very quick and effective.

And now for the biggest highlight - the food. I absolutely loved the dinner and breakfast buffets. The menu is outstanding and food prepared awesomely. There's so much of choice here and it was a major difference from their branch in Gurgaon. This was really delightful and full of food. Needless to say, the citrus cafe is open 24*7 for dining. Wifi rates area bit high - the amount I paid for 24h is the same amount I pay for a month of much higher bandwidth back at home.

Overall, this is a lovely place to stay in. Good for a decent short visit and recommended - apart from the gecko.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
New Delhi, India
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Room size is a bit small and single sofa was there which wasn't very clean.
It's good hotel except above mentioned items.
Good service and good staff.
It was just opposite to my office which is the most convenient thing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
TheLemonTreeHotels, General Manager at Lemon Tree Hotel, Chennai, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent visit to Lemon Tree Hotel, Chennai. We are delighted that enjoyed your stay at this hotel, especially the attentive service and excellent location.

May I apologize for parts of your experience at our hotel not meeting your expectations fully.

We have studied the issues mentioned by you and are relooking at our processes so that our guests can have a more comfortable stay with us. Specifically,
• This hotel has been built in line with international 3 to 4 star hotels and we offer rooms of varying sizes, which are priced appropriately. Customers who prefer a bigger room with queen/king bed, can choose an appropriate room while booking.
• Cleanliness of the room: our attempt at Lemon Tree is to ensure the rooms are fresh, crisp and clean and we have geared our processes accordingly. We apologize that you did not find the cleanliness of your room to be excellent on this visit and assure you it will be the next time.

Do give us another opportunity to serve you, may I request you to email your booking directly to me at sanjay.das@lemontreehotels.com so that I can handle it personally.

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Pro:
Good Clean Rooms
High Standard Facilities
Excellent, no nonsense service
Good quality and selection of food

Cons:
Location. Great if you're in transit between airport and other locations in Chennai, however it's not really close to the City Centre and neither is it close to the IT parks. Local area is a nightmare as it's right on a hugely busy intersection between City, Airport and IT Corridor.
Noise. Car noise is constant. No double glazing/sound proofing on windows.
Noise. 9th floor room suffered from a constant noisy hum. Sounded like a generator on the roof.
Internet charges are unjustifiably high.

Room Tip: 9th floor room suffered from a constant noisy hum. Sounded like a generator on the roof.
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed in lemontree during mid of august, I was on my official visit to chennai my company reserved my room at lemontree this was my 1st stay in the hotel and i should say it was very comfortable over there.
Every thing is perfect in the hotel from hotel staff to the location of the hotel. I will Definitely will stay again at lemontree.

• Stayed September 2012
Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The staff has been amazing, very warm and friendly. The housekeeping staff was lightening quick in its service. A very pleasant stay. You can ask for what you need and the staff would get it for you. The service is lightening quick. Everyone has a smile on their face.

Room Tip: Ask what you need and you would be accomodated with your request!
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent visit to Lemon Tree Hotel, Chennai. We are delighted that enjoyed your stay at this hotel, especially the good rooms, attentive service and excellent food.

• Sound proofing of the rooms facing the main road: we have tried different innovations over time and are making every attempt to minimize it.
• Our internet services have been outsourced to a nationally reputed service provider and we levy a minimal mark-up on their charges to recover our administrative costs. The reason we do not provide 24x7 net access complimentary, is because we would then have to recover the cost equally from the room rate of all our guests rather than only the actual users (currently ~ 60% of our guests) which we felt would be inherently unfair to those not using these services. This is unlike breakfast, which is included in the room rate as over 98% of our guests eat breakfast.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This was a mid-range option quite near the airport that a few of us opted for en route to Pondicherry. I'd heard this was a chain and since I prefer my hotels to have some individuality, I was a bit sceptical.

But I was proved wrong. From the friendliness of the staff at reception (their English wasn't perfect but they made up for that with charm and good training) to the relaxing orange juice on arrival, the experience was one in which you really felt the customer was valued. There was no arrogance or 'airs and graces'.

Our three rooms were all fine (although my 'no-smoking' room reeked of cigarettes from the night before): spacious, well-equipped, and a pleasant 'lemon' theme throughout. At some hotels this may annoy but it was just right here. Strongly recommended is the lemon-flavoured shower soap that really perks you up in the morning.

Sadly the bar, which looks quite good, closes at 11pm (a political thing, I gather) but drinks can be delivered to our rooms (along with free corn snacks), which was fine. One suggestion: don't fix the bottle opener to the back of the toilet door (It's not classy) and surely it would show more trust in your guests if a real bottle opener was given next to the minibar.

ANYWAY, these are all minor points. The staff were generally excellent (very well-trained), the breakfast above par (and it even had pork and a cheese platter, which is unusual in India), and generally it was nice to be in a so-called chain hotel where the staff bothered to learn your names and even wanted a group photo at the end. The managers also did a good job and asked about our stay. Too many managers do the same elsewhere but usually I don't think they listen or even care. Here I think yhey do.

Room Tip: Make sure if you want a 'no-smoking' room that no one HAS smoked there recently. See if y...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LawrenceSmith
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Despite having confirmed booking for early check-in at additional cost, room was not kept ready. Made us wait for an hour to clean the room. The explanation given by front desk associate is that early check-in is subject to availability despite prior confirmation. Justification for making me wait for an hour is that cleaning staff is not available at that moment. I had to check-out one day early and request for one-day's room charge waive-off but at nominal additional cost. My request was rejected citing check-out needs to be initmated 24 hours in advance. All the above three situations made me feel customer no more important as I had pleasant experience many times in the past both at their Chennai and Hyderabad hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for the size of the room and amenities provided. I had to change a room due to some plumbing iss...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
TheLemonTreeHotels, General Manager at Lemon Tree Hotel, Chennai, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your visit to Lemon Tree Hotel, Chennai. May I first apologize for your experience at our hotel this time and for not meeting your expectations fully. We at Lemon Tree Hotels, focus on the delight of our customers because their feeling of being well taken care of is our main reason for being.

We were unable to provide you a room on time due to a heavily sold out position and the unavailability of a clean room at that early hour. Regarding the early check out charges (for reducing the reservation by one night), it is a standard international policy (24 hours) and helps hotels manage their inventory better so that they can serve customers better. We thank you for your patience and apologize for your experience on this occasion again.