“Good place to stay in Chennai”

Somerset Greenways Chennai
Ranked #32 of 415 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed here for five days in December 2012. We had a suite with bedroom, living area and kitchenette.
It was well-appointed, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good as well. There are a couple of restaurants around the corner if you like to eat out. We did not try the in-house restaurant for dinner.
The only negative was something outside the hotel; the approach road can get quite dirty with uncollected garbage outside a crowded temple at the start of the road.
This place is a bit away from the center of the city. Find yourself some radio cab phone numbers so you can get around comfortably.
Make sure you get a room on a higher floor, to avoid noise from restaurant/disco at night.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Somerset_Greenways, General Manager at Somerset Greenways Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Ma'am,

Thank you for choosing Somerset Greenways as your accommodation during your trip to Chennai. It was wonderful to have you with us.

We read with much concern about the unpleasant experience you encountered during your stay with us. Based on your feedback, we've undertaken some corrective measures to ensure our guests do not face the same problem with reference to the approach road to the property.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you once again and also serve you better.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

It was a nice experience at the upper floor of the hotel the rooms were really good and the hotel too is also centrally located with good amenities around. The food was also quiet good . Really a good place to stay in the traditional city like chennai.Would prefer to stay repeatedly.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank pratap48
Somerset_Greenways, General Manager at Somerset Greenways Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your review. We hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you at Somerset Greenways.

We look forward to delighting you once again.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

There are well equipped apartments. Staff was extremely courteous. The rooms had all the devices including washing machines to a TV. Since I had a conference at the Leela Palace, this was at walking distance and a comparatively budget place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Sir,

Our team is extremely delighted to read your review. We hope to welcome you once again at Somerset Greenways.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We were visiting family in Chennai and decided to stay at a service apartment rather than staying with the family. Somerset ended up being a great choice for a variety of reasons - location was fantastic (very central), staff very attentive and facilities were top notch and upto international standards.
The one thing that was a bit strange was the night club near the lobby. Being a primarily a family accomodation, it was surprising to see a night club at the hotel. To be fair to the hotel, the presence of the night did not come in my way in any way.
The one downside was the food. The buffet breakfast is good but the room service menu was a let down.

Room Tip: Try to avoid lower floors as you could get noice from the night club

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your review of Somerset Greenways Chennai. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We've noted your feedback on our room service menu.

We look forward to welcoming you to Somerset Greenways once again.

Warm Regards,
Somerset Greenways

Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stumbled across this when browsing on the net to find a place to stay which is clean and safe upto international standards. This certainly met my expectations. The rooms were well maintained and equipped [microwave, refrigerator, electric stove, washer/dryer, 32"HDTV]. The staff were quite friendly and responded well and quick to our needs. I wanted a space for my daughter to practice for a dance program and they provided an empty room throughout our stay for that. The free buffet breakfast and wi-fi was helpful. Roof top endless pool was nice and clean. The location had easy access to city center and they had a free shuttle daily to a mall closeby. I liked the place and actually returned back after I had to visit another city following my initial stay. There was a restaurant at site. There is a 'french loaf restaurant, a chinese restaurant and a kerala style restaurant[Ente Keralam] closeby. You have to take a taxi if you need to go to any other hotel or shopping areas. The school adjacent to the hotel can be noisy at the opening and closing hours. Avoid travel on that street during that time!

Room Tip: Try to get a top floor as the bar at night can be noisy; you can ask for ocean view, but there are s...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Somerset_Greenways, General Manager at Somerset Greenways Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Sir,

We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you once again at Somerset Greenways.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed December 12, 2012

This studio type accomodation got everything inside the room. Music system also good, 2 nights spent there only to sleep 5 to 6 Hrs, it was peaceful, not much disturbance. In this Hotel, B-Bar was acceable at ground floor. During weekend, heavy bhoom bhoom sound can be heard even latenight. Breakfast at Burgundi had many varities with south indian dishes.

Room Tip: Better take the rooms after 5th floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Mr Kumar,

We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Somerset Greenways Chennai. We have taken your feedback very seriously and have undertaken some measures to control noise levels at B Bar.

We hope to welcome you again soon at Somerset Greenways.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

To start with the positives: Staff are very attentive and appear to try and be helpful. The Apartments are of a decent size and reasonably well appointed - (but struggle to reach my expectations of a serviced apartment for the international traveller). If you have a family the 2 bedroom apartments offer good space, but a very small balcony. I believe it is the executive 1 bedrooms that are best as they do have a very large balcony with outside furniture - if in Chennai on a long posting these are the apartments that you want.

The location is pretty convenient for accessing the City properly and shops etc - but beyond a bakery (French Loaf) you are not walking to any shops, the large malls and tourist sites are all approximately 30 minutes by car from the Somerset but this is not uncommon in Chennai, as it is a large sprawling city with no Metro transport as of yet to speak of

However the staff are very inefficient and seem to struggle with the needs of business travellers.
My request for a stamped letter of Residency to get my residents permit from the FRRO office ( a requirement for all foreigners staying in India for a long period of time within 14 days of arrival) was a comedy of errors, and all I can say is that I am very glad that I insisted on having the completed and stamped letters put in my hand physically that night (this did lead to 3 separate trips to reception for me). however I am very glad that I did do this as all other guests that I spoke to who accepted the "oh this will be ready for you to pick up in the morning" response, all encountered issues at the FRRO and had to go back at least once more above the standard 2 visits to the FRRO office (which is another bit of fun, but certainly do not expect to be out of the office on either trip in less than 3 hours and schedule at least 5 hours) 10 hours on this process was enough for me, but I did hear of others who due to the inefficiency of the Somerset staff encountered an extra 10 hours out of their schedule.

It is very surprising to know that the Somerset is only 1 year old, as it is already starting to look somewhat shabby - I would liken it to other establishments I have visited that are 10+ years in service.

No dishwasher in the apartments - And staff not meant to clean dishes

Washing machine leaked 4 times - "fixed" each time by adding more tape to the unplumbed pipes (not plumbing tape - packing tape).

Fridge froze everything not resolved prior to departure - waste of all vegetables and Fruit.

Only an Oven in the 2 bedroom apartments - all other apartments have a hob and microwave only.

DVD player in the living room had to be replaced as stopped working and "ate" one of our DVD's.

Safe broke 3 times

French window doors to balcony were bad quality and did not fit properly - any kind of wind and they rattled and blew in and out - When we had a cyclone, leaves and other debris blew in under the door.

AC inefficient in the Living room - only worked in bedrooms

Only one Restaurant open - Burgandy's Mixed basic menu, sub contracted out to a 3rd party, not Somerset owned - thus if food ordered for room service and you want to pay be card, you have to go down to the restaurant to type in your PIN number. If Alcohol is required for consumption in Burgandy's or for room service, it is sourced from the onsite Bar again run by another 3rd party. Again you have to go to the bar to pay by Credit Card. Thus Room Service requires a trip to 2x different locations on the ground floor to pay for it - removes half the benefit of room service and thus it should be renamed Take away.

Bbar is the bar on site - Do not think this is a hotel bar where you can have a nice drink and a chat with your partner, or colleagues, or god forbid your family it has no windows and blares loud dance music whenever it is open. It is a Nightclub with DJ Booth and the appropriate disco lights, and there is no outside seating area. it is NOT a Bar. Twice we were told off for entering the "bar"/ nightclub during day light hours (I may add to purchase some take away beers for our room). Once because I was wearing shorts and flip flops - (it was 34 degrees outside and I had popped in to buy some take away beers). Apparently I didn't fit the dress code at 17:45 in the evening with not another customer on the premises. Another time because I walked in to perform the same exercise of purchasing take away beer (the only source on site) because I had my young daughter in my arms, and she wasn't old enough to be on the premises - no signs told me this and she was not out of my arms the entire 30 seconds I was in the bar after entering being shouted at and leaving.
Bbar is horrendously expensive INR 470 for a can of Heineken beer that is roughly equal to USD 8.80, GBP 5.90, HKD 66.40 which is expensive for New York, London or Hong Kong let alone Chennai - in contrast a bottle of Corona at the Hilton Chennai is INR 190 equal to USD 3.50 GBP 2.40 and HKD 26.80

"Jadewok" Chinese restaurant advertised on the website, 9and you can see where it is going to be - by the front door), with "opening soon" signs - When we asked what opening soon means we were told 3-4 months.

Burgandy's could not make espresso as "there are no beans available in Chennai" I saw beans and ground coffee later that day less than 10 minutes drive from the Somerset in the first shop I tried, and then the second shop I went into - also close to the Somerset. Espresso not available any time I tried to get it over a 5 week stay. Standard coffee that was provided was atrocious and undrinkable - a view that was shared by every other coffee drinker I spoke to who was staying there

We were on the 3rd floor at the completely opposite corner of the building from Bbar and at night on the weekends we could still here music from the "Bar" - Nightclub in our apartment with all windows and doors closed.

Dry cleaning - Suits not cleaned properly, creases pressed into the arms, Creases not properly pressed into the pants/ trousers. All (5 suits) suit pocket lips folded into the pocket badly and creased.

I have never been told this before but when leaving and loading our car with some shirts and suits on the cheap plastic hangers that they were delivered back to the room on, I was told by the bellboy/ porter that "Housekeeping would require the hangers back" Not a situation I have been faced with ever before staying in business and leisure hotels billed as 4/5 star across America, Europe and India.

Light fitting hanging loose from the wall, and dangling into the child's swimming pool - issue had to be raised to staff to rectify - and be made aware of the safety hazard.

The childrens playroom locks from the inside, our daughter got locked in twice - had to call down to reception to get someone to come and unlock the door

In the lobby of the Somerset there is a sign on the front desk that states from trip advisor (and I am somewhat paraphrasing as I can't exactly remember what it said) "Somerset Greenways in the top 3 in Chennai". Now I actually can't dispute this statement as I have only stayed in 3 establishments in Chennai, so the Somerset is in my top 3 as well...... but it is at the bottom of my top 3 way below the Taj Fisherman's Cove and the Hilton (which depending on whether you are on your own for business, or have a family with change in the top Spot position! (Hilton best for Business, Taj for family).

THIS IS NOT A HOTEL - and Stechs the boundaries of a serviced apartment.

Room Tip: Once they Finish constructing all the residential floors go as high as possible to get away from the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Hollis77
Rohan S, General Manager at Somerset Greenways Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear Sir,

I have read your detailed feedback and I completely understand how you must have felt. Firstly, please accept my personal apologies for not being able to completely satisfy you on aspects of our service and product.

It pains me as general manager to see a guest unhappy and rest assured we are working diligently to correct some of the point you mentioned. We will put in corrective and preventive measures towards this.

The FRRO registration issues were primarily due to the change in the entire process by Govt. of India. The process of issuing letters from the property stands null & void and each expat has to be registered in a 100 % online process to get a unique number and profile generated. I agree this should have been informed to you in advance and we have put immediate corrective steps to prevent this in the future.

The room service billing has been worked upon and a GPRS enabled credit card billing machine has been provided for guests to swipe their card in the comfort of their rooms, the coffee has been changed and the new brew would be served from this Thursday - I am sure this will be far better than the current brew.

The housekeeping dept has responsibility of ensuring the property and each of its guest rooms are spic-n-span and hence only a limited property provided crockery/cutlery/ glassware is washed to keep a balance between all guests needs & requests.

We have also re-worked the room you stayed in and corrected most of the point mentioned. This was a one-off case and this has been sorted.

I will update you again once we have made more progress on this.

Appreciate your feedback and hope you will will offer us another chance to serve you in the near future.

Kindest Regards,