“We can recommend this hotel.”

Somerset Greenways Chennai
Ranked #32 of 415 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Good location, comfortable rooms. We lived in the small room, but it's enough for comfort.
Breakfast was not very varied and tasty. And also the hotel staff is slow and not always competent. System of using cards at the entrance to the restaurant and a lift - the card does not always work.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Irina K
Rohan S, General Manager at Somerset Greenways Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Dear Ma'am,

Thank you very much for your review of the Somerset Greenways. We strive to make each guests stay memorable and I understand you faced one or two issues in regard to your stay.

It is neither our goal nor intention to have any our guests experience a level of service less than 100% and rest assured we have worked with our executive team to quickly resolve your feedback.

The breakfast buffet has been again upgraded with several new selections and a weekly menu change. The key card issue was only temporary due to a software bug which has now been fixed.

We are all looking forward to seeing you here soon and I am sure we will continue to delight you.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

It is part of Ascott groups of hotels, which owns the "Citadines" one of the well known name for providing residence apartment in UK. True to its brand, the rooms have very good amenities that one can expect - washing machine with dryer, mini refrigerator, hot plates, microwave, crockery, utensils, welcome basket. Very conveniently located in up scale neighborhood of Chennai. Service is bit slow and the front desk staff still under training. The music in the night club does get loud, so avoid rooms (i stayed in 215) around the club. Breakfast is average.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Ketan27

Dear Ma'am,

Thank you very much for your review of the Somerset Greenways. I am happy to read that your liked the property and the service of my dedicated & warm team. We strive and train our staff tirelessness to ensure high levels of service are always provided.

We have taken a note of our feedback on the speed of service and intensive training has taken place in the last few weeks to develop our team further. Breakfast buffet has been revised with a even better selection and several new western choices added.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

I've been there for my first anniversary and had no regrets. It was worth every penny and the infinity pool was so romantic and the view from top was awesome!!!! Wish i stayed for longer..
Little improvisation of room service would make it even more awesome!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chinni_bruce
Rohan S, General Manager at Somerset Greenways Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Chinni_bruce,

I am glad to know you celebrated your first anniversary at the Somerset Greenways. Thank you for your feedback. I agree completely with your view, that our poolside is probably one of the most romantic places you can find.

I have shared your feedback with my team.

With regard to quality of room service, I have taken up your feedback and we will fine tune some of the elements. Rest assured.

We look forward to seeing you at the property for many more anniversaries.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed at the Somerset and overall was very happy with the place and service. However do note that the rooms above the night club can be quite noisy during the weekends as the club could go on till 4-5am. We had to move place due to the noise, the staff was very receptive and did their best to move us to another room.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank shankark
Rohan S, General Manager at Somerset Greenways Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Dear Mr. Shankar,

We have taken a note of our feedback on the noise in the rooms above the B Bar club and let me personally assure you that we are working on a long term solution of this problem. Our team is working on re-doing the acoustics, thus, ensuring lower noise levels.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We (a family with one child) have been staying at Somerset Greenways for almost three months in early 2012. The building was brand new - and still under construction, which we were not told when making the reservation.
Our appartment was very nice, obviously very new, and on the fourth floor - which is where the problems start. Major construction work was still going on in the appartment next door, luckily only for a short time, but from the fifth floor onwards, the building was basically a huge construction site up to the 8th or 9th floor, all through the time we have stayed there.
Several of the amenities promised were not there yet, such as the residents lounge, the Chinese restaurant and others. Plus, worst of all, the first additional "amenity" that was opened while we were staying there, of all things, was the bar - which turned out to be a full discotheque, at least at the weekends, and very popular among the young and rich. We could hear the music up in the fourth floor all night long. Considering that the Somerset is advertising as "...especially conceived for executives and their families...", that was totally inacceptable. The staff was (understandably) helpless when asked to stop that noise. Parties were going on frequently on weekends, but not only, and drunken youngsters sometimes stumbled along our tables when we were dining outside in the restaurant downstairs right next to the bar.
Apart from these very annoying experiences, we had a very good time in Somerset. The staff was extraordinarily friendly, most of them, and very child-friendly. The appartment was lovely, apart from a few minor problems with equipment which did not work etc. (slightly irritating in a newly opened residence though; does no-one check electrical equipment before renting appartments out, for instance?).
The restaurant downstairs, where breakfast was served in the morning and international cuisine in the evening, was very nice and offers excellent pizza.
The garden around the hotel is nice, very well maintained and includes a small, but lovely playground for children.
Most attractive is the pool area on the roof, with an infinity pool, big jaccuzi, children's pool, sun-beds etc. - although we were wondering how all the facilities should ever be enough if the hotel should finally be fully booked. Remember, while we were there, only floor 2 - 4 were rented out, and already it could be difficult to get a chair near the pool on weekends...
The location is very nice, on a quiet, small peninsula close to the sea, somewhat in the middle between the city center and the East Coast Road area in the south of Chennai.
Overall, I would recommend Somerset only for an appartment far, far away from the bar/discotheque, or at least not for families and other people who prefer to have quiet nights...

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank hipper1507
Rohan S, General Manager at Somerset Greenways Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Dear Ma'am,

Thank you for taking the time to write about the Somerset Greenways on the worlds favorite review site, www.tripadvisor.com. We are happy to be reviewed by a senior contributor/reviewer like yourself.

As I understand, your family & you stayed with us during the initial 2 months ( Jan / Feb'12 ) after opening of the property in Dec'11 when we were still in our nascent stages. We are pleased to share with you that we have a done a lot since then and further strengthened our operations to world class levels, as is evident from the other feedback's below on tripadvisor.

I am glad you liked the fact that we are close to the sea, serve a great breakfast, we love the company of kids ( our staff are specially trained to look after them ) and that we have a great pool & gym. In fact it is one of my favorite parts of the property as well. Our team enjoys offering warm & efficient service - which I am sure you must have experienced during your recent stay.

I understand how you must have felt on some of the elements like bar noise, gadgets operation etc that you have mentioned and rest assured we have done our due diligence and have made several corrective & preventive measures to ensure no re-occurrence. As general manager of the Somerset, I am committed to ensuring a 100 % experience for my guests and have ensured your feedback has been acted upon.

We do hope you will stay with us again and give us an opportunity to look after you & your family in the near future. We are at your service always.

Please do mail me on rohan.sable@the-ascot.com for any assistance you may need for your future visits.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

Somerset Greenways Apartments conjures images of apartments surrounded by lush green fields or a golf course setting.When Somerset was recommended to us by a friend in Chennai ,I immediately Googled the hotel.I made the booking but was still very apprehensive.We had been to Chennai and never did I imagine a hotel in this bustling city to be located in quiet,tree lined surroundings and with views of a waterway and large expanse of green forest! I needed everything to be 5 star as we were travelling with our 2 teenage daughters and it was my husband's 50th Birthday wish to celebrate with a few friends in Chennai.

Well we were certainly not disappointed by the Somerset and the management led by Rohan.My reservations were handled efficiently.The airport transfer was on time.Our driver,Santosh was courteous and ever so willing to assist in any way to make our stay memorable.He even waited for us whilst we attended my husband's birthday party at the Madras Gymkhana and on the previous evening he waited whilst we partyed at No 10 Downing.He was our driver for our entire stay.

The apartments are very clean and well furnished.They are new and well equiped.The lobby is immaculately clean.Check in and out was efficiently handled.
The infinity pool was a welcome amenity as Chennai is exhaustingly hot.The views from the pool was magnificent.I was sad that I did not rise early enough to watch a sunrise.All that partying and the peacefulness of our surroundings was the cause of this.
The breakfast could have been better.Management is addressing this and hope to make a true 5 star gourmet experience.
The restaurant was rated No 1 in Chennai and the food was delicious.The staff were absolutely fantastic.They tried to get us to sample all their dishes but that was a huge ask of a very extensive menu.Our buffet meal was great value for money.The B bar was also very good.Unfortunately due to time constraints and given our hectic schedule,we did not spend as much time as I would have liked to,to enjoy The Greenways other amenities such as the gym and tennis courts.
I will certainly recommend The Somerset Greenways and we will definitely choose it again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SonoraSouthAfrica
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Dear Ma'am,

Thank you for taking the time to write about us on the worlds favorite review site, www.tripadvisor.com

We were delighted to have you over from SA and enjoyed looking after you and your family at the Somerset Greenways. I am happy to hear your appreciation of all aspects of services, features and restaurants at the property and your glowing review. Truly appreciate it.

I will also pass on your regards and appreciations to Santosh and the other team members who delighted your family.

Your feedback regarding our breakfast buffet has already been addressed and we have changed our selections as well as outline of the menu. I am sure you will like it on your next visit to the Somerset.

We eagerly look forward to having you'll again. We are at your service always.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Have been to many top end service hotels and I can close my eyes to tell that this is one of the best stay we had. From the front desk to rooms and service was the best at this place. There were no complaints at all.

Room Tip: Try to contact the Front Desk Manager for the best rooms, he takes care of his guest as his own.