“Dirty rooms”
Review of YWCA Guest House

YWCA Guest House
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed at the YWCA - 2nd to 4th Feb 2013. Arrived around 9.30 pm. Was told to "go have dinner" coz the guy was going off his shift. So went down the road to Ritz - back to the Y at 11pm - change in personnel at the front desk - we upgraded to 2 deluxe rooms which have TVs. The first room which had my mum in it - the bathroom light was strobing, the television had only noise emanating from it - waited for a good half hour before the electrician came and changed the light. By then poor mum was tired so off to bed she goes. We go back to the other "deluxe room" - dirty walls, dirty cupboards--- everything dirty - go down to the desk and tell them we want a refund we will be moving out - guy says no can do - ok we will stay the night refund the rest - no can do - some yelling - shown to another room - equally dirty!! Went back to the original room - things should be better in the morning. But Sunday morning they were full - bribed the cleaning lady to scrub the room and change the sheets which she did.

Met with the manager who told us he would give us a 10% off. Told him no can do. The rate he has to charge is for an ac double not a deluxe coz the TV wasn't working - he says thats a cable fault - we say no way are we paying - you already swiped us for 6 K!! He relented.

Their service is bad - a lazy lot - all their housekeeping staff sit around chatting - only if they see tips coming they ask if they should clean your room. Guys at the counter - indifferent.

They are "supposedly" going to be renovated after 23 years from March onwards but cannot get a full wing free at any time. Told the manager they need to do room by room not whole wings!!!

The only consolation - was there for 2 nights and we sang at 2 churches which were 2 kms from the Y.

If we ever visit Chennai - will go back to my old favourite the Taj!!

Room Tip: Check the rooms before you pay.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank AlleyMuck

Reviewed January 24, 2013

This guesthouse is a real oasis away from the city havoc. The surrounding garden is peaceful, the food is excellent (complimentary breakfast but we had all meals there & we did not regret it). Close to the railway station. Very good value for your money!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden are the best as there is no noise from the passing traffic
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank ailenroc13
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Room walls are smeared with who knows what and furniture looks filthy beyond belief. The whole
place is in need of a major paint job and new furniture. Also although this is a YWCA there are
alot of men staying here many of whom appear somewhat sleazy. The staff is friendly and there
is a dining room that has decent food, but don't come here expecting clean and inviting rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room with air-con as mosquitos are rampant.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank ithacabound1
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Beautiful, calm environment, Value for money and safe. The staff are warm and helpful. Easy to make a booking, Very good food available. Centrally located and easy to reach any place at any time, good garden to walk around and also to relax

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank 2012_sds
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have stayed here a few times on the way to projects in South India. It is comparatively cheap but is now desperately in need of renovation. I agree with a previous reviewer about the state of the rooms and corridors. The window fell out of the first room we were given and the second, non-AC, had a fan which only worked at full speed blowing dirt from the previous resident around the room. When I pointed this out at reception so that it could be sorted for future guests I just got a shrug. We might have been unlucky with the two rooms and their corridors but it looked as if most were in the same condition. I have stayed in many places in South India over the years, always being on a tight budget. I will go elsewhere in Chennai in the future - there are alternatives.

Room Tip: Check your room before accepting it.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank OzCalstock
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Gee, I can't believe that last review just then! How could anybody be anything other than positive about this place? The YWCA in Chennai is the best value place around, as far as I can tell. It's set in a beautiful tranquil garden, is very clean, staff are friendly and courteous, and obviously enjoy their work. Everything is maintained to a high standard. This place should be a role model for other Guesthouses around the place. The restaurant serves good healthy food, especially good breakfast. Rooms are clean basic and fresh. Daily housekeeping and laundry done to high standard. What more can I say, I stayed there 4 weeks and loved it, felt right at home. Thanks YWCA Madras for a warm welcoming stay.

Room Tip: mine overlooked the garden, also I did not take a/c, the fans worked well enough.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank susi_q_99
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I didn’t really like this place. The guest rooms and corridors are in serious need of a new coat of paint. The walls were white at one time, but are now smudged and dirty and it gives one an overall feeling of lack of cleanliness and maintenance. The furniture in the rooms is dated and nicked up and could certainly use a sanding and a new coat of varnish. We had a “deluxe: double room. I think it’s the same as a standard room, except it had air-conditioning. The air-conditioner controls were broken, so it was either blasting cold air or off. No drinking water was provided, no kettle, no wifi in the rooms. I didn’t find the price all that reasonable, either. By the time we paid the room rate, the YWCA membership fee, service fee and tax, it came to almost $50 US for 2 people for one night.

That being said, there are some good comments to make. I dealt with Aruna by email to make the reservations and also met her while there. She was prompt with email returns and very gracious in person. The lobby and restaurant and the outside of the building look like they have been newly painted and are attractive. Each floor had a common seating area/lounge with a flat screen TV and rattan chairs and couches. There is a well-tended garden and courtyard in front and to the sides of the guesthouse. The bathroom in our room was clean and seemed to be newly tiled. There was plenty of hot water and a properly functioning western style toilet. The bed linens and towels were clean and the mattress and pillows quite comfortable. A reasonable breakfast was included in the room rate and served buffet style in the restaurant. There were clearly a number of guests of multiple nationalities, so this accommodation must be very popular.

I wandered around the grounds and other buildings and met some lovely young ladies who attend the community college: some studying nursing, some executive secretarial, and some teaching. The college looks nice and the students very eager. There was also a small chapel with some ladies singing “Oh come all ye Faithful” in melodious voices.

So with all those good comments, why didn’t I like the place? I think it was the icky feeling I got from the dirty walls and non-maintained furniture. There were clearly a number of guests of multiple nationalities, so this accommodation must be very popular. At any rate, I have posted some pictures. They don’t really show the dirty walls, but they will give an idea of the room sizes, common areas and such. I have rated this guesthouse as average.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple