“Cannot match 'Match Point'”
Review of Anise

Anise
Ranked #128 of 6,830 Restaurants in Chennai (Madras)
Cuisines: Asian, Diner, Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Neighborhood: Nungambakkam/Marina Beach
Description: ANISE', a stylish and innovative, 24 X 7 international all day dining hub at Taj Coromandel emphasizes elegance, vibrance and epicurean passion by showcasing its World cuisine, in addition to Oriental, Continental and North Western Frontier specialties. Besides a varied a la carte menu of comfort favourites, the restaurant also offers a selection of gluten-free cuisine, as well as a special menu for children.
Reviewed September 23, 2013

A few years ago Anise replaced Match Point as the 24 hour restaurant and coffee shop at the Taj Coromandel. It's not even close to it in standard.
The buffet quality and even the number of dishes is not as good.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Coffee shop of a leading hotel - Matchpoint use to give that feeling.
It used to be spacious - the a la carte as well buffet use to be very good.
I use to go very often.. but somehow the Anise never inspired that many visits.
After ten pm.. I went there couple of times. and enjoyed some good and quiet times.
Pizza and pastas were good.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I had dinner with a customer a few days back. While there were other restaurants on the property, my customer wanted to try the buffet at Anise. The food is what you would expect from a buffet in a 5-star property - good quality but nothing outstanding. What was outstanding was the service received even for the smallest thing.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Had the unpleasant experience of dining in this restaurant recently. We were deciding whether to go to southern spice which was next door or Anise. Unfortunately we chose Anise. They had a buffet and we were assured that there were many vegetarian starters food etc so we went in.

We were first promised a veg pizza as starter, never arrived. We were then promised Pav Bhaji, that also never turned up. Service was pathetic. Went for the main course, there was no veg gravy, the one that was there tasted horrible (not only my opinion). We had to request the waiter to please bring us some edible curry by that time lost my appetite.The guests at the next table were also complaining about the service. Overall they should not mislead guests and stick to what they commit. I went home hungry that day. Only consolation was after I complained and filled up the feedback form they offered to reduce the price of one buffet from the bill. Never expected this from a reputed hotel like Taj. Will never visit this restaurant again.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed a week at the Taj Coromandel and ate nearly all our meals at Anise.

The breakfast buffet is lavish and the staff is happy to assist. I noted that they also served gluten free bread as well as soy milk every single day.

We loved our dinners at Anise. All the staff were so kind and helpful. I have an extreme shellfish allergy (the anafylactic shock kind) and am usually apprehensive when dining in restaurants. I showed the maitre d' my allergy card and the staff of Anise took full control. They informed every kitchen in the hotel of my allergy. The moment I showed my nose in the restaurant, the chef de partie would be called to give me advise. The staff was always kind, cheerful and caring and we would like to thank Chef Khadir, Chef Preeti, Christopher, Lokesh and all the others (whose names I should have written down) for making every meal a wonderful experience.

In a week's time, you get a very good idea about the food. We loved the Indian food every single day. One night we had a late dinner and tried the pizza. The latter was also outstanding. Both Western and Chennai coffee were excellent.

We would be happy to come back to Anise any day of the week.