“Great business hotel”
Review of Taj Club House

Taj Club House
Ranked #17 of 415 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have stayd twice in this property in the last 1 year and it has been an overall good experience. The first time around their pool was getting repaired but the functional gym helped. On my second trip, the rains played spoilsport and thus I stayed indoors.

The hotel personnel were very attentive and upgraded me to a better room as this was my second visit. Sadly, the room was on 6th floor (606) and right below a restaurant). I had a tough time at night as there was a lot of nose right till 2 AM.

Would advise light sleepers to avoid 606 and rooms around that vicinity as I am not a light sleeper and still found the noise irritating. Thankfully, this was taken care of and I didn't notice any noise for the next 2 nights.

The restaurant, Club House seves excellent breakfast, though I would still prefer my Idlis from specialist Idli joints around Chennai. The restaurant spread is big with a lot of choice though, the layout kind of creates some chaos in your mind as you go to 3 different ends of the restaurant to enjoy different kinds of food.

The lounge at the ground floor looks very inviting and is rocking till past midnight but that's still one place in the property I haven't had the chance to visit.

Overall, the property is great except :

1. The place doesn't have a great view and
2. It is not located on a high street

As a business hotel, it gets my full points. Whatever the hotel, lacks in character, is made up amply by the welcoming staff and impeccable service.

Room Tip: Avoid the 60* seris of roosm on the op floor, they are right at the end fo the hotel with rooms belo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,197)

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed 4 night here and feel very comfortalbe. It is at the center of the city and near the biggest shopping mall (Express Avenue). The facilities are very good and service is excellent (except when you need a Taxi, it usually takes you one hour to wait). Like most of Indian hotels it does not provide free WI-FI in the room. I am unlucky to catch the raining season. It rains every day. There are waterlogging in many streets and the traffic jam in Chennai is as bad as in Mumbai. If you come to Chennai during raining season calling a Taxi and traffic is a big problem.

Room Tip: The Taj Coromandel is the only 4 kilometers away from this hotel with the same price and has even be...
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I was a long stay guest at the Taj Clubhouse and throughout my stay I couldn’t have asked for more. Everyone greets you with a genuinely warm welcome. I hesitate to use the work "Staff" as I view the fantastic employees at the Taj Clubhouse more as friends rather than staff.
This is one of these hotels you come across while travelling where it's difficult to pinpoint exactly what makes it special - there's just something about it. However, there are a few names/ teams that deserve a mention: Janci (houskeeping), All the guys and girls at Blend, beyond Indus, Kefi and Deepa Krishnan who was simply a star.

Room Tip: Try and avoid anywhere below the roof-top bar as the scraping of the bar stools just resonates down...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tsi_Charna
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is our second visit to this hotel this year.

Location: Perfect for those who want to access central Chennai. We were offered another brand new hotel at a significant discount but this was located near the airport and it would take an hour at peak times, to reach central Chennai from here . The traffic is simply awful! The Taj Clubhouse however is right in the middle of everything and we were glad we made the right decision.

The staff: They bend over to please you! Service with a smile. Shan at the front desk was most helpful , always with a charming smile and boundless energy. Not at all surprised that he has been promoted from concierge to reception since our earlier visit 5months ago. He should go far!

House keeping: Immaculate! Shantha the housekeeping manager was brilliant. We were allowed to change rooms twice, to suit ourselves! A cleaner accidentally broke a perfume bottle in our room and Shantha immediately arranged compensatory payment.Nothing was too much trouble for these people.

Breakfast : Enormous breakfast area - well staffed. Fabulous food spread & service. Masala dosais to die for! Anbazaghan the chef, even remembered our food allergies from 5 months ago! Makes you feel special.

Restaurants: ‘Beyond the Indus’ (Indian cuisine) is worth a visit and the starter platter of tandoori dishes is not to be missed. Did not fancy the Mediterranean cuisine at the Kefi restaurant on the rooftop! Why not convert this to Chinese cuisine?

In room dining: The Noodle bowl is highly recommended. Reasonably priced and superb to taste.

Laundry service: Shirts returned with cardboard backing and collar supports. All in a straw basket containing a delightful wardrobe perfume sachet and with a fresh red rose over the top! Jaw dropping!

Superior Room:
Very large with excellent & silent AC.
Warm and ambient illumination.
Ceiling to floor windows make the room airy and bright.
Excellent office table and chair.
Comfortable bed and soft pillows.
Large luggage rack which is very important. Also, a large window sill, able to accommodate two more large suitcases making it so easy to access the contents of our suitcases.
Superb high pressure double headed shower in the bathroom.
If you forgot to bring an electrical plug adaptor, don’t worry! The rooms have UK type sockets too. Also, the hotel can provide an adaptor.
Avoid rooms directly above the banquet hall as these can be noisy!

Suggested improvements:
1.Ice cubes are delivered to the room at request, but in a non-thermos steel jug where the cubes melt rapidly. Suggest the ice be delivered in thermos container.

2.Need a brighter light above the shaving mirror. The overhead ceiling lamps do not adequately illuminate the face when shaving.

3.The bar needs thorough re-vamping. Disappointing sterile cold atmosphere not conducive for a relaxing evening. And on Fridays the music and noise are unbearable with parties thrown here! You really need another bar room on the roof- top with cosy leather armchairs for those who want the ambience, calm and peace! Why not have a roof-top mini-bar as well?

4.Convert the Mediterranean Kefi to a Chinese Wok! You’ll get more people eating there.

5.Provide free Wi-Fi. Other similar hotels do!

Summary: Nothing is too much trouble for the staff here. On our first visit, when we got to the airport for our departure back to UK, my son suddenly realised that he had left his wallet in the hotel room safe! One phone call to the front desk, and the wallet was rushed by cab within 20 minutes, to reach us at the airport! Now that is service for you! Keep up the good work guys! Will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary in Chennai recently and it was the most amazing experience. The staff deserve special mention - Avinash at breakfast, Ravi - the teamleader at the front desk and the efficient and amiable Priyanka at reception.

I fell ill on the third day and there was nothing the staff would not do to make me feel comfortable. I shall definitely recommend as your "home away from home - in Chennai" and be back next year. Thank you Taj Clubhouse for a memorable holiday....We'll be back!

Room Tip: Try not to get a room close to the bar on the ground floor as it can get noisy over the weekends and...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My first experience with the Taj is a missed pick-up at the Chennai airport. I spent 20 minutes trying to find the driver, and even with help, we could not find the driver. This left me with no choice but to take a cab. As a woman traveling alone, that left me in a very vulnerable position. After spending a very long time trying to find the hotel I expressed my disappointment with the concierge; he blamed me, and told me the driver was there. That is incredible customer service right there.
Things did not go up hill from there. I was using meeting space at the hotel on the 6th floor, and I had to stop my session two or three times to have batteries replaced and the sound fixed. They also had construction occurring at the same time, even when I requested that they wait until the end of my session, I had 70 people in my session...this was not a small event, but they just didn't appear to care.
I am giving them 3-star instead of two because there were some extremely helpful staff members in banquet services who made up for some of my poor experience. This place needs to step it up if they want our business again.

3  Thank jsmitherscsi
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have just returned from a week long stay at this wonderful hotel - I can't praise it enough - from the moment we arrived we were greeted by a lovely young man called Revanth who made it his personal business to look after us for the duration of our stay, including helping when I fell sick on the last day by getting medicines from a local pharmacy. We were treated like old friends by everyone from the security guards to the cleaning staff by the end of our stay! The rooms were spacious and comfortable, the pool is heavenly on the roof with a view of the city, the staff are courteous and helpful without exception and it is a cool and welcoming haven from the heat of Chennai. The best thing of all though was eating in the Beyond Indus restaurant where we had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of the famous chef Mr Nisi Kant who is just a wonderful cook and so enthusiastic and friendly - he came to speak to us personally every day, shared stories and recipe ideas with us, treated us so well and with such kindness - and on the last day he and his colleagues arranged a special goodbye meal with a decorated table and specially prepared messages for us. When I fell sick he personally telephoned the room to ask if we would like him to send me up something light to eat. We were incredibly touched by his kindness and attention and I am very sorry to have left this wonderful hotel to come back to the comparatively dreary service culture we get in the UK. Would like to extend a huge thank you to everybody at this hotel and will definitely be staying there again on our next trip to Chennai.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business