“Uncomfortable stay”
Review of J.J.S. Guest House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chennai (Madras)
J.J.S. Guest House
Ranked #296 of 400 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I stayed in this hotel from 22 Jan till 27 Jan 2014. It was a very unpleasant stay. The room was small, the fan and air-cond was so noisy and the bathroom was absolutely disgusting and dirty. The room was priced at Rs1600 and for this rate you would expect a comfortable stay. I could tolerate everything. What made me really unhappy is the absolutely dirty bathroom. The walls were not scrubbed at all for God knows how many years! Anyway, the only plus point to this place is the convenient location and the friendly staff. However, I will definitely not stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Suseela2910
There are newer reviews for J.J.S. Guest House

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Very expensive for the room and lousy service they provide.. the water is murky all the time, no hot water as promised, stayed there for 2 horrible days from 25th 12am - 26th 6am. n end up paying rs9000 for 2 graye yard rooms. Please dont go here if you dont want to screw your holiday.The goverment should seize this place. if the owner intend to read this you can mail me any time uvrama@gmail.com., and also im preparing a letter to malaysian/ indian tourist embassy to check this place and take action.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank rama10102014
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We have booked for a Super Deluxe Double AC Room well before 2 weeks, but when we arrived at 05:30 AM on 19.11.2013, the Acting Manager (A Room Boy acting as Incharge it seems so) did not give any room until 06:45 AM. Atlast after he managed to give some lousy rooms instead of the booked one. We denied and later stayed at BKR GRAND HOTEL for our 4 days stay at Madras.

Room Tip: Only the Superdeluxe rooms on the top-most floor are the only better ones.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed in JJS Guest house for a week. Impossible to get a place so cheap in the heart of T Nagar. Rooms were comfortable, worth the money. Guest house is clean with rich interors and clean washroom. Room service is great.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank jonnzon
Reviewed December 29, 2012

First of all apologies for the late review.
Myself and my partner stayed here for 2 nights from 09 April 2012 till 11 April 2012.
I booked my room by email at the beginning of Feb and after numerous emails (which were always promptly and politely answered) between myself and JJ's right up to our departure from the UK I was quietly confident that I had made a good decision...............sadly this was not the case.
During the course of my emails with JJ's they were aware that our flight would arrive in Chennai at 3am and was assured that our subsequent arrival at the guesthouse would not be a problem at such an early hour and that our room was booked awaiting our arrival.
Our flight arrived on time and we jumped in a pre-paid cab in search of JJ's. The taxi driver got us to the general area but could not locate the guesthouse so offered to phone ahead for us and get directions, however the phone went unanswered and we eventually found it un-aided.
The place was in darkness and reception was locked, we knocked on the door and after 5 mins a very sleepy (grumpy) man who had been sleeping on the floor behind the reception desk let us in.
Armed with print outs of all my emails with JJ's I was informed that there was no booking for me, I disputed this and showed him the emails confirming that I had booked a super deluxe double room but he just shook his head and said no booking.
After some time we were told that he would "upgrade" us to a family room at no extra charge, much relieved at this news we followed him to our "upgraded" room hoping to get some much needed shut eye after our long flight.
The room was large, dirty and dingy with an en suite shower room with glass window/shutter with almost all of the glass missing leaving it open to the elements and may I add affording the young men on the stair opposite a great view of me in the shower!! (more on that later)
We jumped into one of the large beds in the room and tried to get some shuteye, however the mozzies made this impossible so we pulled the 1 sheet supplied over our heads but after listening to them buzzing around us we decided that sleep was out of the question and got up and went in search of some plug in repellants for the room.
Returning to the guesthouse some hours later there was a different guy behind reception I queried the fact that my requested room had not been booked and that I wasn't too happy with the room they had given us, he shrugged his shoulders and said it was the only room left and assured us that the room we were in was an "upgrade", if that is truly the case I dread to think whatt our original room would have been like!
No towels or soap were provided so after a couple of times asking I gave up and went down to reception and stood there until they were handed over.
This is when I discovered that having a shower in our bathroom was attracting a crowd of young men on the open stair opposite who had gathered for a free show! After a few choice words from me and the careful draping of a large towel over the open window area the crowd dispersed and shower time went back to being a lukewarm private affair.
I had offered to pay up-front for our 2 night stay when we arrived, however was told to pay on departure, I again offered to pay when I spoke to the 2nd man behind reception later on that day and again was told that it would be fine to pay on the departure, so I was somewhat taken aback later that evening when confronted by a middle-aged man (who I never seen before) demanding that we pay for our stay immediately, I said no problem and asked him to change some travelers cheques however he advised me that they did not offer this service. I queried this as they advertised it on their website and had confirmed to me by email that it would not be a problem he shrugged his shoulders and off I went to the ATM.
There also was no WiFi as advertised on their website however my partner helped them set up their hub on the 2nd evening so can confirm that it had just gone up and running before we left.
At the time we were there there was also no "Travel desk" as advertised, and it took some persuasion on our part to even get them to organise a taxi for us when we left.
No safety deposit was provided again despite it being advertised.
In conclusion this could be a great little guesthouse in a fantastic location however it was let down by the inconsistency of staff (told 1 thing by 1 person and something completely different by another), the rooms and services are not as advertised and cleanliness and mozzies are definitely an issue

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Scruffyish
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Hi, I am from Singapore and this was my second stay at JJS. This hotel has the basic needs and a decent place to stay for shopping. If you're looking for complimentary breakfast fm hotel, then this is not the right place but u can easily have ur meals and breakfast at walking distance. This place is ideally located near shopping centres and about 1/2 hr journey to Chennai Airport. You can get to see some mosquitos in the rooms which needs to be improved by the management. Hotel does provide mini tour service if requested.
Staff are polite and ready to serve the guest if request for their service.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better choice.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I decided to try for JJS Guesthouse after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and noting that hotel is highly ranked at #38 of 306 hotels in Chennai, which was, at that point of time seemed like a true ‘value-for-money’ deal with the budget that you have for a lengthy stay in India. Now, I am inclined to believe that the ranking is not anywhere near accurate and Trip Advisor has to monitor this.

The Location: JJS Guesthouse is located in the very bustling section of Chennai – Usman Road within T. Nagar. The roads here can be described as dirty and very dusty, while the traffic is extremely chaotic with the amount of pedestrians, vendors and vehicles. Being right smack close to Usman Road, you can find plenty of budget eateries catering to both Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian. I must admit that I enjoy the spicy vegetarian options available here and have never felt that I missed having meat.

The Room: It is absolutely small and you practically have no extra space to put your bags without fear of stumbling over it in the middle of the night while attending to nature’s call. The wall décor gives you an impression that the room is full of stains. This could be due to the lighting; nevertheless it does create an unpleasant ambience with the patches of pastel yellow coloring on what was supposed to be a white wall. The furniture is old and equally stained with the corners chipped. You couldn’t open both doors of the closet because the bed has taken the space for one of the doors to swing open; thus limiting the full use of the closet and one of its drawers.

The Bed: The mattress is hard and will give you some pain in the shoulders when you wake up in the morning. The sheets looked like they’ve never been washed since they first opened. You could see with your own eyes the noticeable wear from the different shade. I chose to sleep fully clothed. They only changed the sheets after I had stayed for three nights.

The Bathroom: The bathroom is literally very small. You have to squeeze the small space between the door and the wash basin to get in and out. This is caused by the space taken by the anti-door slammer located at the top of the bathroom door. One look at the toilet bowl and you can see that it is not spotless. There is no attempt to scrub it clean and to remove any dust stains, which has been collecting over the years. Look at the window panes and you can see dust collection. There is no toilet paper; however, there is a large plastic tub which serves no purpose to me other than taking up my valuable space! No bath towel at all! I requested for one but never received any.

WiFi: Non-existent anywhere in the guesthouse – not even at the Lobby. Internet Cafés can be found near the T. Nagar Bus Terminal. It costs Rs.20 per hour.

The Staff: The best asset that JJS Guesthouse has is their staff – Reception, Housekeeping and Bellhops. They are polite, courteous, kind and extremely helpful. There was one (supervisory staff) who came to me on the day I checked out to ask for a tip. This was after he saw me tipping the housekeeping lady. I just paid no attention to him.

Would I come back again? No. JJS Guesthouse is unable to meet my minimum requirements. They are:
1. A comfortable bed with fresh clean sheets and a mattress that is not hard.
2. A clean spotless bathroom with hot shower even though it is confining in space.
3. Access to WiFi at the very least in the Lobby area.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo