“Reliable”
Review of Hotel Karni Niwas

Hotel Karni Niwas
Ranked #91 of 385 Hotels in Jaipur
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Good location- near to M.I Road and many restaurants (which is useful since the food they offer, with the exception of breakfast, isn't anything special). Beds are reasonably comfortable, and more than adequate after a long day in Jaipur. They provide sheets, soap and towels which is great. Room was very clean. Hot water is plentiful and you don't have to wait an age for the immersion heater. Service is very good. I arrived late at night (ie about 4am) and they couldn't have taken it much better, and they offer free pick-up/drop off at bus stand, as well as good advice. Overall, all the things that you would like from a hotel, but don't expect anything exceptional.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank RichardIngilby

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Reasonable price, clean, wifi, friendly staff, and the owner is very caring towards the needs of the guests. My friend lost a plane ticket that we bought from the travel agent in the previous city we traveled to.So she needed to check if the travel agent we bought the ticket from sent her a plane ticket so she could print it out. All internet cafes were already closed at that time. When we were back at the hotel, she asked help from the owner and the owner walked out with us to the travel agents around the street and asked their help to let us use their computer for checking email and printing the ticket. The Hotel also don't take commission from auto-rickshaws when we book the auto-rickshaws through them. When we first arrived in Jaipur it was 3pm and we needed to go sightseeing for some hrs before checking in the hotel, as we needed to leave early in the morning the next day. We called the hotel then to send us an auto rickshaw to pick us up at the bus station and drive us to some highlighted places of the city before we checking in the hotel. He sent us a very well mannered auto rickshaw driver who drove us around some highlighted of the city that we chose to go to like amber fort, hawa mahal, and some other places. After that he drove us to the hotel and we paid the driver directly with the price we agreed on before when we called the hotel. it was a good price for hiring an auto rickshaw for sightseeing, and we paid it directly to the driver, not to the hotel, after that he left. The next morning we needed to book auto rickshaw urgently to leave to the airport. The hotel owner looked for an auto rickshaw for us, bargained the price, (it was a very good price to go to airport), and we paid upon arrival at the airport, directly to the driver. The Hotel also has nice balcony in front of our room. pretty big balcony to chill out. I really recommend this place

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TrueTravelerNo1
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The modern bathroom came with hot water, soap and toilet paper and was very clean.

There was a heater, it's on a quiet part of the street, in a decent location in Jaipur. The room was spacious and the staff professional.

Would have got a 5 star rating, but the water is cold until 7.30am, and the breakfast that we ordered to be delivered at 7am one morning when we needed to get away didn't arrive until about 8am, even though we had woken up early at 6.30am to be ready. I remember reading people's reviews on this site also mentioning the tardiness of the food, so make sure you don't rely on it being delivered on time!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This was by far the nicest hostel I stayed in during my 2 month trip in India. I am a very bare-bones budget backpacker, so this place was a bit pricier than my usual accommodations. I had a private room with private bathroom for 800 rupees (about $16 US). The hostel is spotless -- and has beautiful marble-looking floors and nice little niches on various levels of the hostel to sit and have coffee or breakfast.

Just a word of warning... please do not eat from the hostel restaurant. I ordered tandoori chicken there; it came to my room and was the exact opposite of tandoori... it came in a curry sauce, so I sent it back. A few minutes later (about 40 minutes...) my tandoori chicken arrived, and it looked rather suspicious. Needless to say, I was starving and since I am not very picky with food I decided to eat it. About 4 hours later, I awoke to violent vomiting that lasted for about 8 hours. The hostel staff were very helpful -- brought me lime soda to calm my stomach.

The place was beautiful and I would recommend staying there, just please avoid the restaurant! I will say though, that you can definitely find cheaper places in Jaipur (maybe not *as* nice, but if you're trying to keep your trip cheap, keep looking).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelismyfavsport
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week in May 2013 and spent plenty of time in the hotel... we were ill for most of the week (nothing to do with Karni Niwas!). In our weak condition the staff at Karni Niwas couldn't have been more helpful; bringing us room service and checking in on us regularly.. even being woken up in the middle of the night by us needing more water.. they were extremely kind. It is a very pretty hotel with balconies, flower pots and sweet children. It is down a side street so as well as a great location it is also quite peaceful. After 5 months in India this was probably the homeliest budget bedroom we had.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We were in Jaipur for a week and both myself and girl friend were bed ridden for the entire time. We couldn't have asked for it to have happened in a better location though as we were very well looked after. Calling down to reception at 4am because we had run out of water was a last resort as we didn't want to be any bother but all the same they brought it to us. Wifi in the room, simple food available through room service and a well decorated, cosy and clean room. The family atmosphere provided by one of the small children bringing us our water with a beaming smile and the general kindness of the staff there made what could have been a week from hell into a week of recuperation and rest much needed after 3 months on the road.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Place is 2 minute walk to MI road which is handy. We walked to palace, jantar mantar etc in 30 mins but loads tuk tuks available otherwise. Rooms were big and clean, we had AC and TV. Little sitting room to hang for evening if getting late transport. Free collection and dropped us back to train station. Breakfast on balcony was great, nice food, lovely garden to look onto.

• Stayed: July 2013