Explorer's Nest
$60
$100
$64
Agoda.com
All reviewsthe location is perfectvisiting jaipurwould definitely stay here againplace to stayhostscitybanglesdriverlaundryauto
Reviewed November 22, 2010

We stayed here in November 2-4, 2010, my first india trip. We have travelled New Delhi, Agra and Jaipur. The most cleanliness and warmest place we have visted in India. We all love this place coz it is clean, 24 hours running hot water, sell beer at reasonsible price, giving us home feeling. Though, we have limited vocation, I hope to spend more time in Explorer's Nest, maybe, by next trip. It's a good place for shopping :)

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nicole_Yiu
jaipurtravel, Owner at Explorer's Nest, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2010

We are extremely grateful for your good words about our Bed and Breakfast hostel. We were so happy when you were here. Always smiling and making this a happy place. Your words are an encouragement which put responsibilityon us to us to perform even better in the future.

Reviewed November 18, 2010

I loved the Explorer's Nest so much that I ended up extending my stay TWICE! Not only is it a comfortable place to stay with nice beds, air conditioning, and an impeccably decorated living room where guests can gather and watch movies on a big pull-down screen, it is a wonderful place to learn about Indian culture.
Just sitting on the veranda and sipping tea, you see how India works-- and the welcoming Grovers were there to explain everything to me! They recommended authentic places to eat, they served me their own food, showed me how to prepare it, and helped me sneak into a wedding! Arvind is also a yoga guru and took me through a traditional yoga routine every morning on the roof. He also flies kites up there!
The location is perfect. It's in a real neighborhood so you can experience true India. But it's also within walking distance to the big movie theater, shopping, and downtown.
I have recommended this place to everyone I know going to Jaipur, and I stand by it.
Plan to stay a long time because you will seriously love the Grovers' hospitality that you won't want to leave.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
jaipurtravel, Owner at Explorer's Nest, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2010

You say you would move in if you could..we say we wait for that day because you and that gentle handsome man from San Diego ( Im not supposed to mention names here) are part of our family. The Explorer's nest misses your positive energy. The way you saw good in everything. The way you danced at the wedding, It made the wedding so lively and the wedding family so happy.
With your lighthearted exuberance you made this place come alive and brought out the child in me.You came as a guest..but left as a very dear friend ( ie even more than a family member).
You never told us that you are a renowned writer and a blogger , it was only much later, by accident, that we came to know.
You even gave a name to the cow ( Rita) who comes to our area everyday. We have stayed here for ages but never thought of it. But you connected even with the street cow in a few days. We miss you ( the only consolation is to be connected through facebook and your blogs), the Explorer's Nest misses you, our residential area misses you, the cow misses you, every one who you came in contact with, misses you. So come back.

Reviewed November 15, 2010

Unfortunately I must add a fly in the ointment, I was by far the WORST experience I got since I am travelling everywhere around SE Asia. I try to never put very bad comments about GHs but I think I must give a warning to travellers so they don’t end up in the same situation the owner of this place did put me.

After a telephone booking I came to this place from Agra. After the 5 or 6 hours journey in the public bus (I am a single young woman travelling) I hoped to have some rest, get some food (didn’t eat anything since breakfast) and also do some work (I am translator and journalist and work on the Web). My idea was to stay in Jaipur for a week to get some work done, so I informed about it Mr the Owner when he was showing me the room. His reaction was very abrupt – you can’t stay here for one week, only one night !! Apperently after my booking there was a girl who came and who left her baggage to wait for a room. Ok, I was a little bit surprised by his manners but said that I would stay for one night in this case and then would search for an other place.

I must say that the room he showed me was nothing like thoses you see on the pictures, it was a small room on the roof with a small window. But for the price of 450 Rp it was OK. Of course, when I saw it (after all these beautiful puctures) I was a bit dissapointed and said (more for myself than for Mr the Owner) : well it is not like on the pictures. It made such a bad impression on him ! Without I could put a word, he started to tell me that I was free to leave and that he is not about persuade anybody and that there was this notorious girl and her baggage ready to check in! As you understand, after my journey and at almost 6 PM when it starts to get dark it was quite big pressure on me. I tried to calm him down and to explain that I didn’t say no for the room, and was ready to check in. Imagine, my friends, I had to persuade him to let me stay in his GH! I don’t know why several times he proposed me to go and to see this baggage left by the girl! As you understand I was not interested at all and I informed him about this. The reception was getting colder and colder.

Then he proposed me to give him my passport and to check in. I gave my passport and switched on my laptop in order to get the password (sold for 75 Rp from noon till noon, without any concessions, I asked if I could use his WiFi next day for a couple of hours after my check out, because I was checking in later, the answer was NO ! It is not the attitude you expect from a homestay owner, isn’t it ?). He didn’t want to give me the password before I sign his book (and he was very offensed when I locked my room with my luggage on the roof, he said I was not open person because if this. Strange « confidence »…) On my observation that owners normally are quite happy to know there is somebody who wants to stay for a week or more (no need to clean the room everyday, sure to have client etc) Mr the Owner said that probably it was in some poor GHs where I was staying before and where people don’t have clients and are ready to attract them even by lowing the price for one week stay but in HIS GH nothing if it can happen and he even went specially to take his laptop to show me that he had booking for next 3 (!!) days since tomorrow (when I arrived the GH was empty and all the rooms were available)! His speach about all this staff was so long and wouldn’t stop soon, so I suggested to pass to more important (for me at that moment) things by showing with my hand on the screen of my laptop waiting already for a while for the password. My friends, what happened at this moment ! He started to scream : You won’t stay here ! You will not order to ME what to do (it was very inexpectant interpretation of my gesture)! He just kicked me out, my friends, in the evening I just arrived. While he was screaming I got my bag and just left - fortunately I had my Lonely Planet and also some other numbers of GHs from Trip Advisor.

Apparently Mr the Owner is a former military man and for him HIS GH is something like a casern where solders have to listen to him while he is telling rubbish without interrupting and generaly must live with his severe rules with an alternative to go in the guargroom or in the street, in my case (I made a mistake to not pay attention to another bad recommendation of this place, and now I see very well how it could happen). I don’t know, if it is something you expect from an Indian homestay, go for it. If not, in Jaipur you have great places to stay, with nice relaxed atmosphere, lovely people and comfortable rooms. Just search a bit further !

Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Kreestalle
jaipurtravel, Owner at Explorer's Nest, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2010

This lady from Russia was rude and intimidating from the very moment she entered our hostel. To start with she started to beat us down on the price saying the room is not what she thought it would be. So we told her that if that be the case we won’t force her to stay here, though she had booked the room on the phone. Then she asked if she stayed for one week what would be the charges. ( what we found strange was that initially she says she doesn’t like the room then she wants to stay for one week..quite contradictory.. or probably a negotiation tactics)) We informed her that the room is not available for a week. She said she has traveled the world and has never seen any one saying that the room is not available. Infact people have welcomed her with open arms and reduced the price. We informed her that the rooms are booked in advance hence there is no room that is vacant for a week at a stretch. She then started being more rude and aggressive and physically snapping and pointing fingers at the owner. At this the owner had to cut short the argument and asked her to leave the hostel. She again wanted to stay but was not kept in the hostel as her behavior was no conducive to the bonhomie atmosphere that we are used to here.
Yes I am a an ex Military man and have been imbibed with values of straight forward talk, calling a spade a spade, honesty, orderliness, politeness which we found totally lacking in this lady.
Further she should understand that browbeating doesn’t get any one sincere hospitality.
And lastly, It is people like her who demotivate and discourage us from continuing to make our house as a bed and breakfast hostel.

Reviewed October 1, 2010

The Grovers are a wonderful family who run their guest house with care and concern. We arrived early from an over night train and were welcomed with open arms. The room was wonderful, the water was hot, the ac worked great and the bed super comfy. We enjoyed the set dinner both nights we were there (it's a steal at (Rp 100 per person) and all our snacks and water were from the guest house too, because they were priced fairly and it made it just a little bit nice to not have to go out and search for water etc. Some of the best sleep we had was at the nest and I would recommend it to all travelers.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
jaipurtravel, Owner at Explorer's Nest, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2010

Thank you so much for you kind words of appreciation. It makes us happy. In fact we are so glad that you stayed here with us. It was a pleasure meeting you both and hearing to your vast travel experiences. We wish you many more happy travels and hope to see you again some day

Reviewed September 25, 2010

Very good accomodation. Nice friendly staff. Good place to meet fellow travellers. Staff were genuinely helpful and did not try to sell stuff or scam.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo

Sincere thanks for your appreciation for our place. We are glad you liked it here. I too enjoyed the interesting chats with you. Wish you many more future travels.