“Owners Ignored Us”
Review of Hotel Madhuban

Hotel Madhuban
Ranked #67 of 382 Hotels in Jaipur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
Boston, USA
Reviewed February 20, 2007

The place is fine for the price but I think it is overrated. We stayed here in Feb 2007 in the Royal Suite ($60). This and other sites make a big deal of a 'friendly and warm' staff and owners. Well, no-one talks to you. I did not even get a hello from Mr and Mrs Dicky although I ran into them several times. They were very warm on the phone and email, however.

The breakfast ok but not freshly cooked. We avoided the restaurant for lunch or dinner as it looked very empty and devoid of life.

The rooms and bathrooms are clean and comfortable.

They sent us their own driver (Mr Sethi) to pick up at the airport (Rs 350). I highly recommend Mr Sethi, we hired him for the next two days in Jaipur. He was very patient, speaks very good English and was a great guide as well. If possible book him in advance for your out of Jaipur trips.

He was unavailable for our Agra trip. So we hired a driver from Mr Chetan. Driver is Mr Kishore. Avoid this company and this driver ! They set us up with a 'free' guide at Taj Mahal who was only interested in steering us to his 'Star of India' diamond shop! Mr Kishore is also a terrible arrogant driver and we had near misses at several spots while driving. At one point he was so close to an oncoming vehicle that the vehicle knocked out the driver side mirror ! Very frightful.

Stayed February 2007
England
Reviewed February 10, 2007

I found my experience at the Madhuban strange. When I booked this hotel the manager Dicky couldn't have been more helpful and pleasant. Since I returned I have had an email hoping I had a good time but I have to say that apart from the owners charming wife who we would meet at breakfast we found this the most unfriendly place we stayed during our 17 nights in India.

Having had such gushing emails from the owner I at least expected him to say hello but although he could clearly be seen around in the background he made no attempt to speak to us at all. In fact one morning when I asked a member of his staff about exchange rates for travellers cheques, the member of staff asked Dickie (the owner) who was standing next to him and after telling the member of staff the low rate to offer me he walked off without even making eye contact. I also found this the only place in India where if I smiled at members of staff they didn't smile back.

We had an OK meal in the restaurant made unpleasant by a row of staff literally standing in front of us and staring and no attempts could get them to smile. If you use the restaurant sit at the back where you can't be stared at.

To be fair the room was spotlessly clean but the smallest we stayed in, in India and certainly not the best value or welcoming.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — unfriendly staff
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank merryweather29
Maryland, USA
Reviewed February 9, 2007

We (family of three with a teenager) stayed here for 4 nights in two separate suites and were impressed with how clean and comfortable the rooms were. The hotel is in a three storey building and the location is a block off the main road (near the Collector's Circle) so noise levels are relatively low. The suites had private bathrooms which were clean and functional with running hot water (solar powered on sunny days). The suites have marble flooring with storage areas and a comfortable king sized bed (you can request an additional bed if needed). There is a couch, some chairs and a TV, though if you care, the signal strength was weak for some channels.

There is a lovely garden to sit, sip tea and read the paper, or check out the local wildlife - pigeons and chipmunks mainly. There are some peahens in the neighboring yard (not visible from the garden) which you see from higher vantage points like the patio/terraces at different levels. This is also great for watching the sunset or take in views of the city.

The restaurant serves a nice breakfast as well as lunch and dinner if you don't feel like going out every day. They also have a car and driver you can engage to see the sights. This is a much better alternative to taking an auto-rickshaw which, in my opinion, given the craziness of the local traffic, can be very stressful!

All in all an excellent, reasonably priced hotel.

--Suresh

• Liked — Peace and quiet
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 28, 2007

Loved the Madhuban. We were travelling with a six-month old baby, and Madhuban kindly provided us with a basinet. The Bani Park is a quiet neighborhood, though not distant from the city. Very clean and elegant and will definitely stay here again. This hotel has a combined gratuity system, where you can give the whole amount at the cashier. But this causes a lot of grumbles, as the employees don't seem to have bought into this.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Reviewed January 19, 2007

Me and my friend stayed at Madhuban last november and loved it. After being in terrible hotels in Delhi and Agra this place was heaven. I loved the garden, I think you really need some green in a overwhelming and dirty place like India. The restaurant was fine, delicous banana lassi! Our room was very nice too, great bed, nice bathroom. The staff was somewhat grumpy though.

I would definetely recommend this place to my friends!

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends