“Umaid Bhavan Surprised me with its wonderful experience”

Umaid Bhawan Heritage House Hotel
Ranked #22 of 383 Hotels in Jaipur
Reviewed November 19, 2010

We came across mention of the hotel as we surfed various travel portals for suitable hotel accomodation in Jaipur, Rajasthan. Umad Bhavan Heritage hotel was one of the most well represented hotels available online. The travel portals were aflush with its reviews, pictures, descriptions and other info, that, couple with its pricing made us immediately drawin to this particular hotel. However, some of my prior experiences with hotels booked online haven't been pretty, and I was quite apprehensive. However, we had a wonderful time at the hotel. The hotel was magnificently done and maintained. It is a 85 old haveli which has been modified for a hotel about 25 years ago. Since we went around Diwali, the experience was a bit more magical, with fresh coats of paint and festive lights in every corner. We were plesantly surprised at how much we actually liked the hotel and its room for the price we paid.
Both my wife and I are architects and Jaipur stires a treasurehouse of beautiful architectural collections, but we surpised ourselves with the number of snaps we took of the hotel itself, even though, admittedly, the architecture was neither really authentic and obviously done up!
Our 2 year old son enjoyed hiding in various nooks and corners of the hotel, and the 2 nights we spent over Diwali, with the special festival dinner buffet was something to remember, and something to recommend to friends.

Likes - Pickup from Station; Proximity to Station; Ease of Booking; Package Rate; Room Decor and features; Bathroom features and cleanliness; heritage look and feel

Dislikes - In quiet residential area... not immediately close to tourist features and transport; Service was okay; but not exactly over-the-top warm & friendly; Room sizes; Views - one sees other courtyards and parts of the hotel, not really the surroundings

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Dwaipayan C
There are newer reviews for Umaid Bhawan Heritage House Hotel

Reviewed November 17, 2010

The web pictures are depicting what you will get on arrival & that speaks a lot with the cheating that goes on around India re hotel rooms. BUT, don't expectany courtesy or friendliness from the reception desk, you pay your money & get the key.
We would have eaten on their roof top dining area both nights but the service on the 1st. night & at the buffet next morning were so bad. Dinner took 11/2 hours & b/fast was a shambles with most items having to be asked for several time before hey would deliver (its a buffet you dont need to ask for bread or milk or hot water for tea) To finally get service at dinner I had to seek out the room manager & demand her get some waiters to stop talking to each other & serve the tables.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KJ72
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Over the top gorgeous hotel!! This was a bit of a treat for us as we were backpacking, but it was the first hotel that had hot water and toiletries provided so we loved that! Breakfast was included and was excellent with lots of choices. The restaurant was a bit expensive but the food was good. It’s a bit far out of town so we had to get a rickshaw in, and on the first day the drivers all told us it wasn’t safe to go round on our own – a ploy to get them to drive us around. We were quite safe on our own.

There were a couple of negatives, the front desk staff weren’t very helpful – when I asked for help to check our train we were told to go to the station. And the internet was very pricey at 60 INR per hour (we usually paid around 15). They asked how long we wanted and we said we weren’t sure, ½ and hour or an hour, and I was using it and went to send the email I had spent 10 minutes typing and they had just cut off the internet with no warning so I lost most of what I had written. I got them to log on again and because it had just been cut off it went straight into my open email account – which is presumably where the next user would had gone if I hadn’t checked. I was really angry about this and it’s a stupid thing to do for them as I would probably have used an hour or more but after this I didn’t bother.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank KKatherine
Reviewed November 15, 2010

I was looking for a property with a heritage look and feeling... and Umaid Bhawan turned out to be a good choice. The Ambience was very amazing which provided a traditional Rajasthani feel. The rooms, furniture and furnishings reflect the same tradition. Very clean rooms and good service too. The restaurant on the terrace opens to the sky (though it can get pretty hot during the day atleast for us in Sep) is an excellent option and food is pretty good.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 13, 2010

This heritage hotel superceeded my expectations. It is a friendly place, well maintained.Our royal suite was very roomy, has the belgium glass windows, which intruiged my kids.The bathrooms very very spacious offering both tubs and shower units.The staff was very helpful in local information and directions. Breakfast buffet was good.The heritage hotel is 4 floors, but impresively had a lift .The gift shop was nice and the walk to the gift shop was nicer.The only drawback was that it needs better sign boards , as we roamed for nearly 20 minutes searching for this place.Overall worth it !

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 13, 2010

This is a nice heritage hotel, clean, peaceful and friendly staffs/helpers except the one in the front desk. He was a bit rude. and tendency to charge extra on your bill (this happened to me and a couple who check out when I was there) The room has a firm and comfy bed and the bathroom smell mildew. It has a ceiling fan and air-con and the rooftop restaurant has some good food and atmosphere. The staffs looked serious. Overall I'd recommend this hotel but check your bill carefully.
I have my own car so have no clue how much taxi/tuktuk costs to the city center/monuments

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank petfriendly_8
Reviewed November 12, 2010

This is one of the best hotels I've ever been to... The room was huge, and beautiful. The rest of the hotel even more beautiful, I just had to wander around and enjoy... don't forget to look up - most ceilings are amazingly decorated. Nice rooftop restaurant, good food, OK price. We had a big room, but the price was small... Hotel staff including manager very nice people. I would go back to Jaipur only for the hotel!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple