“rajasthan - old mum young daughter” 5 of 5 bubbles

Traditional Rajasthan
Ranked #129 of 229 things to do in Jaipur
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“rajasthan - old mum young daughter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Finally made it to Rajasthan after 40 years. Sitting on a beach on Crete many summers ago I was invited by some recently made friends to join them overland to India and Nepal. In those days the route went via Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan. I was sorely tempted to follow that hippiebut instead considered I should really finish my art course but oh did I often think of that trip - especially on a grey winter's day in London. I had missed an opportunity of a lifetime but I didn't know that then. Years passed, marriage, children, divorce, work and travel but more short beach holidays and now it was virtually impossible to go overland as well as having lots of freetime.
But this year it changed. My three children, all living in Dubai suggested one of them would go on a trip, albeit maybe not the months students could manage, but at least a visit to one area. We decided on Rajasthan. Yes I know its probably the most tourist area but we (they) are there for a reason. We would go but not having the luxury of time would get a local person to organise some of our trip and supply a driver. Through trip advisor we found Vijay of Times India Travel whom I can roundly recommend and have done in an earlier review.
You may think going on a tour with a daughter would be fraught with difficulties - ie their irritation at my indicisions, less energy than them, less sense of adventure but no, we both enjoyed the chance to spend time in each other's company and marvelled at the sights, sounds, noise, people, animals, traffic, forts, museums, colour, pottery, textiles, landscape of this wonderful country.

Visited April 2013