“Great”

Jantar Mantar - Jaipur
Book In Advance
$100.00*
and up
Private Tour: Jaipur Sightseeing Including Jantar Mantar, Amber Fort and Jeep...
$87.00*
Jaipur Day Tour with Bollywood Movie and a Visit to a Local Astrologer
$84.00*
Private Jaipur Day Trip from Delhi By Car
Ranked #7 of 240 things to do in Jaipur
Reviewed November 26, 2011

It was impressive that this was created so long ago. Kill two birds when you exit the palce, the entrance is right there.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,998)

Reviewed November 26, 2011

Looks like modern art! Also very interesting as technology and history.

Reviewed November 26, 2011

I had a great time at the Jantar Mantar! After so many forts and palaces in Rajasthan, one tends to get a bit blase about yet another throne room and yet another armory. This is something completely different, fascinating and unlike anything I have ever seen before.

It's essential to take a guide for this place to even understand a fraction of what it's all about. For 1-4 people, a guide costs Rs. 200. I was travelling alone, but I found a group of 3 at the entrance and joined their group. Our guide was knowledgeable, articulate and interesting. He explained how to read the time to within 20 seconds of accuracy on one decide and within 2 seconds on another. He explained how astrologers could create horoscopes based on their readings of the instruments when a child is born. One particularly cool instrument was a pair of huge segmented portions of the sky in concave form into the ground. The sun passes from one part to the other each hour (made as such to allow astrologers to walk in between the segments, which would be impossible were they a hemispherical whole), tracking which constellation the sun is in. We correctly read that it was the first day of Sagittarius. To my mind, my visit to the Jantar Mantar gave me a better insight into the customs of Rajput life in Rajasthan than anything else I did on this trip.

2  Thank spitze1982
Reviewed November 25, 2011

I liked it from a sculptural point of view but the astronomy stuff was a bit heavy for me. The audio tried to lighten it up but it ended up being a bit naff. It's sort of one of those places you have to go but it wasn't a favourite for me

Reviewed November 22, 2011

Technology so advanced, so long ago. Needs to be visited with a guide, as, on their own, the instruments have no meaning.

1  Thank belleamie10