“Quintessence of Rajasthani heritage and family hospitality”
Review of Jas Vilas

Jas Vilas
Ranked #5 of 392 Hotels in Jaipur
Reviewed July 5, 2012

One of the warmest and most hospitable places I have every visited, where family history, tradition and Rajasthani cultural heritage, arts and crafts are blended into a unique and integrated tourist offering! If more havens like Jas Vilas existed then one could hope beyond reasonable doubt that fair trade tourism is still possible!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed June 21, 2012

After 40 countries, this hotel has set the standard for what constitutes a good place to rest my head and feet. When booking accommodation for future holidays, I now think to myself - 'I hope I can find a place like Jas Vilas.' Beautiful grounds, warm, helpful owners and staff. Comfortable and tastefully designed rooms. A wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Very quiet and clean with staff that is very attentive, professional as courteous. All that you'd expect from Rajaasthani hospitality.
The food was so good that we decided not to eat elsewhere during our entire trip.
For a personal and peaceful stay you wouldn't find anything better ;)

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I spent two nights at Jas Vilas in June on my first trip to India. I was slightly apprehensive traveling to Jaipur by myself (my husband and I parted ways in Delhi as he went on to business elsewhere) but the staff at Jas Vilas made everything so easy. I arranged pickup at the airport early in the morning and a driver for 2 days by email with the owners and everything went smoothly, thanks to the helpful manager. It was insanely hot when I arrived and the hotel was such a peaceful oasis to return to each afternoon. The room was cool and the bed was very comfy.
I was the only one staying there those 2 days and yet the restaurant staff cooked a huge array of wonderful vegetarian Indian dishes for me. It was such a bargain for about 9 US dollars!
The western breakfast was a little blah so I had the Indian breakfast the second day and it was wonderfully exotic (though a little odd at 8 am when my stomach is used to cereal at that time of day). The waiter was very charming and provided wonderful service.
I highly recommend this hotel. I had originally planned to stay at a haveli in the pink city so I could walk to shopping but they were booked so I chose this hotel. Now I am glad I was forced to make that decision because it was so wonderful to escape the crowds, chaos, honking, etc. at the end of the day.

Room Tip: Loved being downstairs by the pool. However, I was the only one there so there was no one to distur...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 4, 2012

A note on location : this place is a 15 minute tuk tuk (auto rickshaw) ride to the commercial cluster down the road, and a bit farther to the pink city. However, Jaipur is not the kind of place where you would want to be in the city center, as far as I can tell. I personally wouldn't want to stay in the noisy dirty dusty commercial cluster , and I don't think there are a lot of places if any in the old city. Just make sure you take the hotel card with you if you plan on taking a car or rickshaw back to the hotel - not everyone will know how to find it

We are a group of chilled out 30 somethings. I was worried about choosing Jas Vilas because one review made it seem only older people would like this place. But I should have trusted the many high ratings.

Good features of this hotel include:
-lovely grounds
-calm in the midst of chaotic Jaipur
-friendly staff
-delicious continental breakfast (Indian available upon request)
-free and high speed wifi (although we were there in the down season - it might be slower when the hotel is busy)
-large and clean room and bathroom
-well functioning ac and shower (although it was summer and insanely hot, so the water was not very cool)

A few cons (small quibbles):
-laundry is about 1 usd or 40 rupees a Piece which somehow I found overpriced, but maybe I'm wrong.
- breakfast is not included. It's a few dollars, so its not a big deal, but not necessarily cheap by Indian standards. I think it's still fair considering the price of the room.

And some average things:
-the beds were fine for me for a non US hotel. But my experience traveling in Indian and even in higher end European business hotels is that beds are not very soft, and I had much harder beds at other stops on my trip. But FYI to American visitors, this is no Westin.
-it's a small hotel, so staff are not readily available late at night or early morning. That said, we managed to call the personal residence of the staff several times later in the evening, and they found a way to have the guard check our late arriving friend check in at 4 in the morning. In other words: they make it work.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jemima2000
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Beautiful, cozy hotel set in the middle of a bustling Jaipur. Great accommodations for the price!

Room Tip: Ask for ground level room if you can't climb stairs easily. Third floor has great views!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amy D
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Enjoyed our stay at Jas Vilas. You could tell it was a former home by the warm, homey atmosphere. The owner is gracious and accommodating and we fully enjoyed the Heritage Room. The pool was a welcome relief after a hot visit to the fort via tuk tuk (couldn't resist) and they had ICED COLD Diet Cokes! The only thing keeping me from rating this five stars was the restaurant. The breakfast and dinner weren't very good, but we did enjoy the cheese toast. All things considered, we highly recommend Jas Vilas.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple