1,891 results
All reviewsrooftop restaurantbeautiful hotelheritage hoteltop floorroyal suitesitting roomfour poster bedtraditional stylemarble floorspuppet showsmall poolresidential areaquiet streetindian restaurantlike royaltystayed here for nightsgolden triangle tour
Reviewed June 23, 2013

(1) Never pay in advance. If you don't like the room (eg it's not the quiet room you requested), you have no leverage to negotiate as they now have your money.
(2) Be suspicious if you are taken into a side room by an older man who having booked you in and gives you a 20 second overview of the hotel and will not leave your room until you give him a tip. Here's a tip,Mr Williams, if I thought it would go towards sprucing you up I might have considered it. Instead, the person who brought 3 pieces of our luggage up two flights of steep stairs got a tip because he earned it.
(3) Don't eat in a hotel where the staff watch you eating or drinking. They could possibly be scared you will steal the crockery or glasses if they leave you alone or it could be that they are holding the walls up of the heritage hotel in case they fall on top of you before you've paid your bill.
(4) Never book a hotel in India in the 'low' season. Prices are generally heavily reduced for everyone who is not 'a foreigner' (Indian expression, not mine). This generosity often results in a celebratory party which can last until the following morning (in our case 4 am).
(5) Be aware that you must pay for any water you take from the fridge and if necessary the hotel will go into your dustbin to find empty bottles, bring them downstairs to reception at check out and confront you with the evidence of your voracious thirst.(They might eventually accept the fact they were the bottles you brought with you, if you labour the point).
Understand that the term 'heritage' does not always follow the westernised idea of old fashioned charm. It can also mean old and crumbling: the builder's new toy (a pneumatic drill) which he played with for 5 hours of our stay, is evidence of this.

Room Tip: No room in this hotel on my bucket list
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ScrabbleAustralia
DigrajSingh, Owner at Shahpura House, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Sir,
I do appreciate your writing such a detailed review now after your stay with us.
I will not make any excuses for not meeting your expectations. I have taken note of the various issues raised by you and corrective action has already been initiated, where necessary. However, there are some areas where I am not in agreement with you and I do need to state my views.

Yes our GM checked you in, after explaining to you about the hotel and its facilities he took you to you room which was #115. After explaining about the room and its amenities your wife said that she has no change, to which he said no problem Ma'am I'm not waiting for this and then left the room saying the baggage will be here in 5mins. He shut the door and came down and never lingered for any tip AS YOU THINK Sir.

But still if you think that he waited or lingered for a long time then I'm extremely sorry that it offended you.

Secondly I must admit that I am a bit surprised and disappointed with myself on reading your comments about the service of our stewards. Its their duty to look after to each n every client to their fullest. The steward along with the Chef takes great pride in the interaction with guests and the high cuisine standards that we offer. I do apologize for not meeting your expectations and have personally discuss this matter with my stewards and captains.

Thirdly the celebratory party as written by you was not a party instead was just a music that too in their own(other clients staying) room. According to my knowledge there was no kind of music after 11:30pm and if as mentioned by you it lasted till 4 am you could have informed the reception immediately to stop it which didn't happen again.

Lastly, during summer i.e. the off - season time we do our maintenance & construction work to upgrade the current rooms & bathrooms. Also we do mention it during the time of check - in to our clients. To be precise the construction work goes on from 10am - 4pm when generally the clients are out for sightseeing and if any client has stayed back we there & then stop the work immediately if its disturbing them.

I will once again, on behalf of the entire team apologize for not making your stay what it should have been.

Also I would appreciate very much if you could give us a chance to look after you again.

Best Wishes,

Digraj Singh

Reviewed June 16, 2013

After a long trip from Agra we arrived in this lovely charming hotel. Welcomed by mister Eric Williams who gave us all the explanation we needed. This man is doing a terrific job and is very helpfull with whatever you want to know or whatever you need. The hotel is a gem, we were staying in a royal suite and royal it was. A nice sitting area, big romantic bed, nice bathroom with all the most important things you need. Rooms are clean and fresh which is important in the hot season, AC's working perfect. Buffet breakfast is not that big but there is everything you need and the staff will make what you want. Small pool but good for a refreshing dive after a day of visits. Just relax there with a drink and a snack...its like heaven. The roof restaurant is nice, food is very tasty and there are Always dancers performing and sometimes other artists. Mister Eric arranged a taxi to Jodhpur at a reasonable price. Its peaceful and quiet.. we had a pleasant and great stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Very nice facade, one gets a feeling that it is a heritage building but surprisingly was built some years back. It has its charm and is a nice place to stay in jaipur. The owners take a personal interest and are usually present to ensure everything goes right for the guests. We were lucky enough to be upgraded by our travel agent to the suites on the terrace which are really good.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival we entered the room which was extremely hot. There are only two fans and one wall air condition unit. Which I have no idea why they didnt have running before our arrival. It was so hot in the room that our refrigerator didnt work. I thought it was broke but the maintenance man said its because of the heat. So we couldnt cool our water for a day. The pool was closed so I cant review that. And the breakfast buffet wasnt a buffet at all. It was never set up. I know its the slow season but at least put some fruit or something there. So instead of a buffet the staff just kept bringing us fruit and also asking us what we want to eat. It was really awkward. Especially the guy who just stood 4 feet from our table staring at me while I ate. I honestly never felt so uncomfortable before. Not sure if its a culture thing since it happened alot in india. But I wasnt expecting it from staff. On a plus note. The hotel is beautiful and the room was amazing. Just very hot in the summer time. I know it was the slow season. But dont try to cut costs when customers are there. And no a.c. in the lobby where we checked in. They had a unit just didnt turn it on.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This was such a great find! The building's architecture is incredible and yes, it is the Maharaja's palace. The young Maharaja lives on one of the floors with his family. Eric Williams, the gracious and most knowledgeable manager welcomes you with personal attention. After a brief tea he escorted me to my room, which was a suite! I was on the 5th floor. Outside the room is a terrace where you can sit in the evenings and enjoy the sights and sounds of the neighborhood. On the floor below is an excellent restaurant on another terrace. While I was there, they featured a fun local music and dance show! All aspects of the room were great. The hotel also has a nice swimming pool, great for cooling off if you visit during the heat as I did. The breakfast buffet in the morning was more than ample and provided hot and cold dishes. In addition, one of the attentive staff will make you a delicious omelette. This place is one of those gems in lodging you're always hoping to find on your travels.

Room Tip: Not much view from my room, but since I was there during the heat I kept my window covers closed. The spacious room more than made up for a lack of view. Plus outside my room on the 5th floor was a terrace with seating and a nice city view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo