The Oberoi Rajvilas
$83
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
1,537 results
All reviewsabhishek sharmasunken baththe general managerhindu templeprivate gardenluxury tentsindian restaurantrose petalspeacocks roamingan oasismain buildingbeautiful hotelnew delhifour poster bedlike royaltygolden trianglethe entire staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 3, 2007

Intially I loved the Rajvillas, fabulous entrance, gorgeous grounds, its own temple (to Shiva) and wildlife all around. The staff were welcoming and our tent was superb. They aren't really tents but 4 walls with a canvas roof and very pretty they were too. A spacious living/ sleeping area and a large bathroom with access to a terrace made for very comfortable living quarters. The pool was small, but adequate and the staff happy to chat, altough we were at the end of the winter season and the hotel was quite.
It is some way out from Jaipur but we had brought our car and driver from Delhi so this was not an issue, but it did feel a little isolaed none the less, no evening strolls unless you wanted to do it in the grounds.
Breakfast was not "awful" as previously quoted but it was very mean. Compared to other Oberoi's where the buffet included cooked as well as chilled for 650Rs here you got only cereal, cold cuts and fruit - which seemed very exensive by Indian standards. Room service however was very dissapointing. My boyfriend was feeling delicate in the stomach and wanted something plain, we ordered a cheese sandwich on white bread, and as he was running a temperature some coconut sorbet. The sandwich was dry, was filled with salad cream and the coconut sorbet had chilli in it - I would have loved it - but we had explained he was unwell and I was anoid they told me it was plain coconut. It sounds petty but at 600 pounds per night you expect perfection! However dinner at the hotel was very good and the Rajistani dancers and music were delightful.
By day 2 the lack of choice in dining, the golf carts and the general remotness of the place was getting to me. I did begin to feel like The Prisoner and wasn't totally unhappy when we packed up and left for Agra.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank kittenwoman
Reviewed May 2, 2007

My husband and I arrived at Rajvilas a day late after traveling for nearly 48 hours (but really, did I honestly expect Delta to perform any better?), but boy was it ever worth the hassle when we got here! We've stayed in other Oberoi properties and this one blew us away with how much different it was from the others.

We stayed in a tent for five days, and I believe it was worth the extra expense for the feeling of seclusion we got from it. The staff was very friendly and attentive without being overintrusive, and they definitely went out of their way to accommodate us. They seemed to find it highly amusing that we were recently married - asking us about our "love marriage" and wanting to know why we would travel to India during the off-season (to see family, of course!). Overall, they were very warm and welcoming - I can't say that much about the staff at Wildflower Hall.

I only can think of a couple minor complaints about our stay. The food at the restaurant was fairly bland compared to the Indian food I know and love, but our driver took us to find some wonderful fare in the city. Also, after a day of shopping, we were told our bags would be waiting in our room for us; however, when we got back to the room a few hours later, the bags were nowhere in sight - they were still at the drop-off! This was quickly fixed with a phone call, but I hate to think of what might've happened had the hotel not been located in such a remote area.

We're already planning to return and would not hesitate to recommend this property to others. Perhaps staying in the off-season is key as the staff isn't spread nearly so thin.

Reviewed February 13, 2007

Oberoi Rajvilas, (Jaipur)-We spent another two nights in Jaipur. This Oberoi was just ranked in the top ten of resorts in Asia. But strangely, we liked the other Oberois better. The food was definitely delicious though. While I was most excited to visit Jaipur, I actually liked it the least of the cities we visited.

Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank am470
Reviewed February 9, 2007

The tented room turned to out to be alongside the periphery wall with villages close by so that we were kept awake by dogs howling through the night , the local mosque prayers and also the room was cold as there was no roof or heating.
The hotel were not able to move us to a normal room and were not very helpful.
The staff are very young and inexperienced but try hard !
Finally they made a mistake with our bill by overcharging for breakfasts we did not have which we eventually resolved the night before check-out, only to be told the following morning that we were owing money for these breakfasts again !! Not an impressive leaving experience !!!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sevdoc
Reviewed January 3, 2007

Don't bother paying extra for the 'Tent' - they are cramped and very tired looking. The standard rooms are much better!!!

Food is average - breakfast awful!

The hotel is 30 minutes from the centre of the old town which is a little boring for shoppers etc.

Overall - average and dont raise your expectations too high!

• Stayed: December 2006
5  Thank GlobalTravellerUk
Anshul K, General Manager at The Oberoi Rajvilas, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear Guest,

We do not intend to lose any more time in acknowledging your feedbcak as we are already very late.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the experience during your last stay. We respect your views on the concept of luxury tents and agree that the tents which are high in demand at The Oberoi Rajvilas may not have been the appropriate room category for you.

Understandably, there were lapses in terms of the food quality and we were not at our best with you. Our menus have evolved since you stayed with us and definitely we are better prepared now to offer a memorable gastronomic experience to you.

I must also update you on a tunnel though the Aravalli Hills opening shortly which will make the access to the hotel from the city much simpler and cut down the travel time.

We request you to give us another opportunity to welcome you as we are confident that with a carefully crafted experience and attentive and personalized service we will be able to change your perception about The Oberoi Rajvilas.

Please do write to me at anshul.kaul@oberoihotels.com whenever you plan to visit Jaipur next and I will be glad to personally look after all the arrangements.

Best regards