“Wow! What a Palace...”
Review of Rambagh Palace

Rambagh Palace
Ranked #3 of 383 Hotels in Jaipur
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Wow! That’s the expression I would use to describe my experience at the Rambagh Palace. It would be blasphemous to call it a Hotel and classify alongside millions of Hotels across the world, coz this is a Palace property which has retained all its old-world charm while being modern at the same time. The moment you enter the property, there is a Hotel (vintage) car to take you inside, where you are accorded a welcome fit for Kings & Queens. We were upgraded two levels (and this has no bearing on my overall rating to the property) and the suite was luxurious to say the least. There are vast lawns where you can spend time with various birds – predominantly peacocks, use the indoor pool (strongly recommended) which is bigger than most Hotels regular pools, play croquet or table tennis; basically there is something for everyone at Rambagh.

There are three restaurants; Suvarna Mahal – Visit this place not only for it being one of the best fine dining restaurants in the country but for the complete experience of hospitality, great ambience and delectable food (Indian Cuisine) Must eat the Lal Maas (spicy) and Mutton Nihari (non spicy). Steam – Set in an early 20th century train (yes its a complete train with engine, bogies and a platform!) serves primarily pizza & Pasta, a meal here is also must do. The Rajput Room – This is an all day dining restaurant, where the breakfast buffet is served.

Another advantage of this property is that its situated right at the heart of the city, so accessibility to any part of the city is not a problem – though I don’t see why anyone would want to leave the Palace to head out 

Room Tip: Get any room! The Palace is worth anyone.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank regulus08
ShreeLathaSajeev, Manager at Rambagh Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

I am very grateful for your note complimenting the services and facilities of our hotel. Positive feedback from our guests is always a strong motivation to all of us to continuously provide a high level of services to our guests.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back at Rambagh Palace in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Rambagh Palace

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed all the fine hotels we stayed in in India, such great value for the level of luxury. However the Taj Rambagh was even more special, wonderful rooms, gardens and we particularly liked the formal Indian restaurant. Level of service was excellent. Plus Jaipur was our favourite city in the golden triangle, we should have spent more time there.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mikeyeli
ShreeLathaSajeev, Manager at Rambagh Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Reviewed June 21, 2013

I'm an experienced traveler having been to over 35 countries in the past 8 years at last count. I usually stay in mid-range hotels. Early this month however, I made the fortuitous decision to pass by the 'Pink City', Japiur, on my honeymoon, and stepped up to the Taj Rambagh Palace and it was definitely not something my wife and I regret!

Simply put, the hotel is a destination in itself. We advised them that we were on our honeymoon and were upgraded to a suite which I understand costs in excess of US$1,000 a night at normal rack rates. If you know how cheap hotels in India are, you'll understand how much money that is.

As we were driven pass the security checkpoint and into the hotel grounds, we were presented with walled bliss away from the buzz and mayhem that is India, containing delightfully manicured lawns, well-maintained fences and gardens, and immaculately attired staff. On arrival at the hotel lobby, we were mysteriously asked for our photo to be taken on the ornate marble stairs passing over the small waterway. Inside the foyer, we were greeted with a flute each of some sort of delicious rose-flavoured drink. Check-in was with a personal staff member while seated on the lounges, not standing in front of a cold, behemoth reception desk at most other so-called '5 star' hotels. If they are 5 star, the Taj Rambagh deserves at least one more.

When we were personally escorted into our suite, we were totally flabbergasted by the decadence. Usually it's just my wife taking the photos, but we were both madly punching away at our mobile cameras, trying to capture the room, unable to hide the childish grins on our faces at having been so lucky. My wife was also given a large bouquet of pink flowers and a large chocolate cake had been wheeled in, as further gestures of goodwill towards our recent marriage.

This was more of a large luxury one bedroom apartment, than a hotel room: with two chandeliers, a four post bed, lashings of solid oak furniture, lush carpets, and marble everywhere else in the foyer, sitting room, walk-in wardrobe and bathroom, which was complete with a jacuzzi (over which hung the second chandelier), twin basins and twin shower area. It was truly palatial and as I stated on my Facebook status soon after, it felt like we were truly living it up like maharajas.

The rest of the hotel was perhaps just as you would imagine a former Indian palace to look like, which was fitting since it was in the "Land of the Kings", Rajasthan. At 6pm we were taken on a free guided tour of the hotel grounds, dining areas and indoor pool, as well as through the 'Prince's Suite' which somehow was even more magnificent than our suite. Though we thought it was only reserved for heads of state or otherwise for royal family members only, we were told that the suite was available to paying guests, no doubt for a rather princely sum, pardon the pun. To top it off, we were offered a glass of champagne each, as well as hors d'ouevres. Like I said, the hotel is a destination in itself. The plentiful and majestic peacocks with their beautiful blue plumes littered the grounds as an added bonus.

Later that night we enjoyed some free entertainment in the form of traditional dancing and music, while we sipped cocktails overlooking the internal courtyard, before moving into the dining room for a lovely dinner. Upon return to our suite, we were taken away yet again by the turn down service which had transformed our kingly bed into a sea of black satin sheets and pillowcases. The maharajas sure knew how to live.

In the morning, as it was during the peak summer period and the hotel was quieter than usual, we were told to our initial disappointment, that no buffet breakfast was available. Could this be our first disappointment? However, we could choose one item each of hot food from the menu. So my wife and I choose one each and as the immaculately-outfitted waiter brought toast to another table, I hankered and asked for the same. Our waiter promised that this would be no problem. He then asked us to choose a juice and tea or coffee. The drinks duly arrived after a very short wait, followed by the toast. Next came a dish of cold meats and cheeses, two fruit platters, three tiers of cakes and muffins and just as we thought our table for two could hold no more, out came our hot meal of choice. They lied. We had a buffet breakfast at our very own table. It needs not be said, but we sadly could not finish all the fine food and felt somewhat guilty about it, even though it was not our choosing. I felt all the more foolish for requesting toast.

As sad as we were, we had to pack our meagre possessions after breakfast as we were only staying one night. Our only regret was not being able to stay another night. As we were checking out, we were presented with gifts consisting of a pair of beautiful, exclusive coasters which we were told hoped reminded us of the Taj Rambagh Palace, as if the magnificent experience was not enough, and the answer to the mystery of why we had our photo taken on arrival the afternoon previous: a photo of us on the marble stairs, with me standing there like a backpacker with a pair of sunglasses hanging off a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops. I felt ashamed to have arrived in such a state, in start contrast to the majestic landmark which we are fortunate enough to be able to say that for one night, we lived like a king and queen.

Room Tip: Can't imagine the 'regular' rooms being too ordinary, so I'd say that they'd be...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
ShreeLathaSajeev, Manager at Rambagh Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Must say that I didn't expect for anything less than what I got only for the fact that its a TAJ hotel.
What grandeur and royalty, they make sure to make you feel like a king. The intricate detailing and the complementing scents make the room nothing short of a dream. But I was a bit disappointed with the wifi and breakfast though. Hope they improve upon it to make it a truly unmatched property in the heart of Jaipur city.

Room Tip: The low floor verandah suites are quite a treat in the winters but try avoiding them in the summers...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
ShreeLathaSajeev, Manager at Rambagh Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Sir,

We thank you for the valuable feedback and will definitely take corrective actions. It was indeed a pleasure having you at the Rambagh Palace and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Warm regards,

Reviewed June 16, 2013

This place was the most gorgeous hotel I've ever stayed at. If you want to feel like royalty there's no other place better than this. The staff, the hotel, the facilities were excellent. There were peacocks and peahens all over the hotel and it looked beautiful waking up to a dancing peacock. The food was out of the world. Never had such good croissants even in Europe. This hotel is for people who want to indulge in luxury and spend most of their time in the hotel itself since there's more than enough to do. The hotel has a lot of history attached and the architecture is another story in itself. MUST MUST GO..

Room Tip: Stayed in a Suite. Badal Mahal is amazing.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Madam,

Thank you for sparing your valuable time to share your feedback on your recent stay at Rambagh Palace.

I am pleased to note that our services and facilities were to your satisfaction. Your positive feedback about the hotel is deeply appreciated and have been communicated to all the members of our team.

I thank you for your valuable comments and look forward to the pleasure of your continued visits and assure you of the best in service and hospitality.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Wow ... Just amazing . From the moment we arrived we were welcomed with cool face cloths to refresh, a cold drink,a warm smile a bindi dot and a jasmine wreath . ... And a bunch of beautiful fresh roses to congratulate us on our honeymoon. Our room was fresh and clean , spacious air conditioned . Comfy massive bed . Our first point of visit was the pool where the attendant was welcoming and helpful . The pool was large and clean . It really felt like paradise . The large gardens are beautifully maintained . We saw squirrels and a wide range of birds . The building itself is historical being the renovated palace . The staff were beyond amazing also putting a congratulations cake in our room .
All the in room bottled water was complimentary . We were amazed at the high standard of this hotel.
On our last night we went to watch the free traditional dancing and music show which they put on every night . And went to the adjoining shop ( the palace gem) where we met lovely staff and learnt princess di and Charles had been . We also were told Australian cricketers often stay here when they come over . along with a whole list of other notables . we were offered free henna tattoos . after the show and some shopping we went to the restaurant for diner . The food is very reasonably priced and the chef specially made me my fav prawn dish from home . It was lovely . Our waiter Ashlam was great . A barrel of laughs and really loved his job . And then on arriving to our room we found the guest supervisor Preetam had personally made a flower and swan arrangement on our bed . We had been traveling all through London , Paris , Rome , Florence and china and India was our last stop before heading home from our honeymoon . We had spent the previous weeks staying at major brand hotels such as radisson blu and the Sheraton but this hotel was cleaner , better priced , more helpful and definatley better service than any other hotel we have stayed in. They made our honeymoon amazing and we can't thank them enough . I don't think we will ever find another hotel which would compare to this amazing high standards and can't wait to come back again .

• Stayed: June 2013
ShreeLathaSajeev, Manager at Rambagh Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is an outstanding and amazing hotel. Hotel has got beautiful landscaping of the with lawns filled with peacocks. Though I had only a dinner at there café which overlook garden but would love to come back again whenever I come down to Jaipur. The palace has true atithi devo feel.

Room Tip: Did not stay.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
ShreeLathaSajeev, Manager at Rambagh Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013