“Ok but not really recommended: big concrete hotel, noisy, & not very clean”

Red Fox Hotel Jaipur
Ranked #24 of 380 Hotels in Jaipur
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Ok but not really recommended: big concrete hotel, noisy, & not very clean”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is a basic hotel. The staff are very friendly but it seemed quite disorganised. Red Fox would be perfectly adequate for an overnight stay if it was cleaner and better organised, and it would be very easy for management to achieve this.

I stayed here for two nights on holidays. The place was OK and seemed popular with Indian families and couples, and Spicejet flight attendants also seem to stay there. But I wouldn't stay there again if given a choice. The reasons:
* not very clean;
* lots of noise from the corridors
* unreliability of staff (eg. re cleaning; wake up calls)

The reception staff were friendly and I was happy to be given a room at the back away from the busy main road, and I wasn't bothered by street noise. I didn't go walking around outside the hotel but the area seemed to be full of new commercial developments (eg. medical facilities; wedding reception places).

Walking to the room, I was struck by the stench of stale smoke in the corridors. Unfortunately they'd put me on a smoking floor. Arriving at my room, I was disappointed to find the strong smoke-smell coming under the door, so I asked for an extra towel to put across the back of the door to keep it out. That did a reasonable job, but unfortunately housekeeping took this away when they cleaned the room the next day. Housekeeping staff did spray the room heavily with perfumed fluid to mask the smell, and this helped.

The main problem with my room was that it hadn't been cleaned properly. It looked superficially clean, but someone's old lolly paper was lying on the floor near the bed. I mentioned this to reception when I was on my way out around half an hour after checking in, and they said they'd have it addressed. The lolly paper was still there when I returned later that evening. And it was still there the following evening, after housekeeping had supposedly cleaned the room (they had changed the towels and made the bed). Indeed, the lolly paper was still there when I checked out after two nights in the hotel. This didn't engender confidence in the cleanliness of the hotel, and nor did the grot around the skirting boards.

Red Fox is not very soundproof and it was noisy whenever people talked loudly in corridors or nearby rooms. At night I was woken once or twice, and also kept awake, by noise from other guests who'd been out late. There are signs in the corridors asking guests to be considerate (suggesting this is a common problem as noise reverberates the concrete corridors), but not everyone seemed to take notice. This is perhaps understandable as someone mentioned the hotel is popular with wedding guests who sometimes come back jolly and noisy in the wee small hours. Earplugs are therefore recommended if noise bothers you.

The bed was comfortable, and there was a mini fridge next to the bed. There was no safe for storing valuables. In the evenings, the water was only just hot enough to be comfortable for a shower. Breakfast was a good buffet spread with lots of choices, and they cooked a nice omelette for me (it was slow coming but the restaurant was very busy at the time). Wifi was available in the rooms, but was chargeable. Two slowish but free computers were available in the business centre near reception, and they didn't seem busy -- I was able to use one whenever I wanted to. There were friendly, pleasant local craftsmen selling puppets and other artefacts near reception in the evening.

The final problem was that I booked wake up calls for both mornings as there was no alarm clock in the room. The first morning the wake up call didn't come at all; the second morning it was 45 minutes late -- both times leading to me waking late. I informed reception of this and they apologised to me (they explained the first morning was an oversight, and the second day they had a lot of people checking out at once and didn't have time to call me). However, when someone from my travel agency asked reception about it they apparently said they had missed the first morning but falsely said they'd given me a wake up call at the correct time the second morning. I would have preferred they were as honest and apologetic to an agency that sends them business as they had been to me, rather than trying to cover up!!

It wasn't terrible but, all things considered, I wouldn't recommend this hotel. It could easily be improved quite dramatically, but I'd suggest looking elsewhere until the problems of cleanliness and disorganisation have been addressed.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back and definitely specify if you want a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
TheLemonTreeHotels, General Manager at Red Fox Hotel Jaipur, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to Red Fox Hotel, Jaipur. May I apologize for not meeting some of your expectations during your stay.

•Cleanliness: at Red Fox Hotels, we take hygiene very seriously and make every effort to ensure our hotels stay fresh, crisp and clean. We apologize for our housekeeping not being excellent during your stay. We have re-briefed the Housekeeping team to ensure that rooms are cleaned thoroughly in the future.
. Noise in corridors: we are sorry you felt disturbed during your stay. The hotel had 2 groups inhouse at that time and that would have caused noise on some floors. We have designed our rooms to insulate them from external noise by using double or triple glazed windows (panes of glass with a vacuum in between) to reduce noise to internationally acceptable decibel levels.
•Wake up calls: we apologize for the errors with your wake up calls and the inconvenience caused to you. We have re-trained the Front Office team to ensure our standard operating procedure is followed accurately.
•Non-smoking rooms: we apologize for not being able to offer you a non-smoking room on account of full occupancy at the hotel. When you book with us next, please do request for a non-smoking room at the time of making the reservation.
•Temperature of water: at Red Fox we run our hotels in a sustainable manner so that we take care of the environment, while using resources. On account of this, we maintain specific patterns for the heating and cooling facilities of the hotel. We apologize that the water was hot enough for you.
•Internet services: the reason we do not provide 24x7 Wi-Fi access complimentary, is because we would then have to recover the cost equally from the room rate of all our guests rather than only the actual users (currently ~ 60% of our guests) which we feel would be inherently unfair to those not using these services. Regarding the speed of WiFi at the cyber kiosk, our internet services have been outsourced to a nationally reputed service provider. We constantly monitor the same and work closely with the service provider to improve the speed.
Electronic safes: at Red Fox, we offer electronic safes at the Front Desk, upon request and at no charge.

Please give us an opportunity to make amends. Should you accede to my request, please email me at gm.jp@lemontreehotels.com and I will be happy to handle the arrangements personally.

Best regards,

Ajay Kanojia
Hotel General Manager
Red Fox Hotel, Jaipur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Udaipur, India
Reviewed March 6, 2013

hotel stay was great and the behavior of the whole staff was good. food was also very good. I specially thanks to Mr. Sabdeep, Mr. Gaurav Mathur,, Mr.amar and Mr.Abhishek.
They really make my trip great.

Bangalore
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I am not sure if it is because of the off-season! But, what I got for what I paid, was great value. This is a clean, no-nonsense hotel that gives you more than your money's worth. The sore point, however, was the crowded breakfast buffet. One word of caution, beware of these bus-loads of tourists who descend on this hotel, a little late in the night. They are the ones who attack the breakfast buffet. If you beat them to it, you are home and dry.
But for this, Red Fox is a 'clever' choice!

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

1 Thank Ravi S
gurgaon
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Hotel was spic and span. Staff was quite decent. This was a place which was decent, comfortable and safe for a family vacation. Food was good. The tariff vis-a-vis the amenities provided were in sync. Nothing specific to complain, in fact we increased our stay to another day and the staff were quite helpful and supportive. I would rate this hotel on a higher side and would visit it again in my next trip. There is a restaurant with buffet breakfast and lunch. Food is clean, hygienic and tasty too. A small gym was also in place for health conscious visitors. Worth a stay and highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room with window facing the scenic view is quite good.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mukherjee12
Mumbai
Reviewed February 16, 2013

hotel is good but the reception counter service i not proper. my driving licence is with them . they told me after taking xerox send to my room. but they dont given that service. so i forgot in my busy schedule. all is very good.

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The hotel is well located on Jln marg , the main road in Jaipur. It's a building kind of hotel with plenty of rooms. Rooms are ok with mediocre interiors. There is a decent restaurant in the hotel. Housekeeping of the rooms can be better. Breakfast was nice . Staff is helpful. Jaipur is a great city and this is a good budget hotel to explore the city. There are plenty of restaurants near by if one wants to go out .

Room Tip: Check the rooms before check-in
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The location is conveniently located between railway station and airport. The surroundings are nice. The rooms are reasonably furnished with basics. I got the room cheap @ Rs.2600/ per day, so my expectation level was not much. But room service and front desk was quite lethargic. I feel the hotel is understaffed

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
TheLemonTreeHotels, General Manager at Red Fox Hotel Jaipur, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

•Speed of service at Front Desk and in In-room Dining: we apologize for the service you experienced during your stay. The hotel was running a full on those days and the staff were not able to provide timely service to your group. We have re-trained the team to plan better (number of staff during peak times) for such high occupancy days and to deliver service efficiently.

Best regards,