“Good to deal with”
Review of Village Textile Factory - CLOSED

Village Textile Factory
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We visited village textiles in February 2014 and met Sunny a staff member who showed us their stock, at no time did we feel pressurised to buy anything the prices were all good.
After arriving home we contacted them by email to place an order Sunny even emailed pictures of new stock so we had more to choose from.
Sunny has been nothing but great with his help and organising delivery of our order, it has taken a couple of weeks to organise it all, a bit longer than I would have liked but everything takes a little longer in India,
Fed ex tells me our order will be here on Tuesday so looking forward to receiving it and ordering again in the future

1  Thank zacca01

Reviewed March 5, 2014

This place is an absolute scam! My boyfriend and I went to Jaipur for an overnight trip on the 26th of Feb. Our driver look us here telling us that it was a cheap place with excellent quality. Upon arrival they do the whole show with the blocks and all that crap. Upon taking you upstairs they tell you, no pressure to buy etc (Make you feel relaxed). The prices they say are expensive for Indian standards but not for Australians standards.

They tell all these stories about how the poor women at the village take time to hand make them etc.

In the end I brought a cotton blanket to be made into a doona cover same with my boyfriend. As well as my boyfriend got a shawl for his grandma and 3 cotton ties made.

The next day we go to city palace (massive tourist attraction) so naturally the prices are hiked up and see blankets pretty much identical to what Village Textile were selling so naturally I ask the price to see the difference. Here at City Palace they say 2500 rupees (before barginning) and Village Textile charge 7000 rupees. MASSIVE difference for the exact same item! This made us extremely upset because as young students we don't have money to waste.

Later on that day we go back to Village Textiles to pick up the blankets we had made into doonas. We didn't say anything about the prices to them as we just wanted our items and leave. We go to inspect the white cotton blanket they made into a doona for my boyfriend's parents and there is dirt all over it! We said to him this isn't acceptable as we paid for this and there was no dirt on it and all he said was "What do you want us to do? Its India, there is dirt there". I was extremely disgusted with this answer. In the end they washed and dried it was us.

To make matters worse, while we wait for it to dry, there are more tourist coming in getting shown all the products. Behind us were another two Australian girls getting shown the exact same products as us from the previous day but getting told prices 1000 rupees cheaper than what we had been told!!!

As soon as the sales person we dealt with realised this he told the other man in hindi to change the prices to the same as ours.

I HOPE NO ONE EVER GETS CAUGHT UP BY THIS COMPANY AGAIN!

5  Thank Monique H
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Paid for handmade items to be delivered within 2 hours to our hotel room. 2 days later still no delivery!!! We finally got our hotel to get the clothes for us by saying we would deduct the money spent at textile village from our hotel bill. Wasted our time and money.

Taken here by a driver and we were told no pressure to buy, however they are very experienced salesmen in there who put on a show and pull out all the tricks to make you purchase (I work in retail so know the tricks!)
As this was only day 3 of our trip to India we hadn't got bearings of what clothing should costs. We thought were getting a good deal purchasing a silk scarf and handmade trousers for Rs 1,400/ £14. But, when we visited the local markets later that day realised we were charged around 3/4x the going rate. Very irritating experience. Don't be fooled and don't pay until they deliver the items to your hotel.

Luckily we didn't loose too much money but unfortunately there were travellers in there having a really had time saying no to very expensive items.

4  Thank Bobo-J81
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Yes, we also were brought here by our tuk-tuk ´ friend ´. But I have to say that we have experience in haggling, and we bought six scarves as presents for family and friends, all at a good price. We were not spun any lines about widows, NGO's and were firm in our wants and not wants. We even returned to get a couple of kaftans made up in material we chose. They were delivered to our hotel next day, and are of good quality, both in material in workmanship. As ever, buyer beware. And don't forget, you can get 'burned' buying on the internet. Happy haggling!!

2  Thank WD60