“Small and nice hotel”

Ranked #56 of 381 Hotels in Jaipur
Gurgaon, Haryana, India
“Small and nice hotel”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The one thing i like about this hotel is that it didn't have too many rooms, which means not too many guest and you tend to get extra and personlized service. I had picked up this hotel from one of the deal and i was a bit skeptical about the quality of rooms and service i'll be getting as i was travelling with my 1 year old kid. My doubts were cleared when I checked in into this hotel. The size of the rooms are not too big (dont' expect a room size equilant to a room in a resort) but interiors are done tastefully. They have a roof top swimming pool on 6th floor.Overall, its a business hotel and a value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Fernhotels, General Manager at The Fern - An Ecotel Hotel, Jaipur, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for a wonderful review. Our room design is inspired by Jaipur's majestic culture. We hope you took many pictures.

Jaipur is one of India's most popular tourist destinations, and many of our guests are families and groups traveling on holiday. The hotel takes pride in being family friendly, thank you for highlighting this.

The rooftop pool is a hidden gem with an awesome panoramic view of Jaipur, both old and new. Jaipur, like its famous colour, has a majestic pink sky at sunset best enjoyed while in the pool's warm water. We've uploaded a lovely pic of the sundown sky on our TripAdvisor profile. Do take a look.

We look forward to your visit again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pune, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My family and I stayed at The Fern for 2 nights. We had a very nice experience. Everything is perfact. Room was clean and comfortable, Hotel taxi was veasonable,Roof swimming pool provides us a good view over the city.The best part is the super delicious food and the service is satisfactory.
In a word, thanks The Fren ever so much..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for a wonderful review. We are pleased to have met your expectations. The team take pride in their service and they thank you for your positive comment.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed at The Fern, Jaipur for 2 nights / 3 days and this was one of my most memorable hotel stays. From extremely courteous management and staff, to supreme standards of cleanliness, hygiene and personal care, the team at The Fern ensured that they leave a lasting impression in my mind. Since the time I made my booking till I bid farewell after checking-out, I was convinced that this is one place that I will return to whenever I am in Jaipur and will also recommend it to friends and family travelling to the Pink City. The food was awesome too! Missed partying at Grunge due to a hectic schedule - but will return soon to experience that as well! Wishing the team the very best for the future!

Room Tip: Share your preference with the hotel staff - they will provide you with the most appropriate room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for a wonderful review. We are pleased to have met your expectations.

Grunge has a new schedule of events to celebrate the festival season, we hope you return soon to join in the fun. Guest like yourself make Grunge the most popular lounge club in Jaipur.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed 3 days in Fern - Jaipur with my family. I had a very good experience. The staff was very
friendly and provided us a good room on arrival withing 5 minutes. Though the hotel is considered to be business hotel, but it is also as equalent for family stay. This hotel is situated in South of Jaipur, just close to Airport and other 5 star hotels next to it. Though some construction was going on front road, but doesnt really bother the stay.
The next day was my birthday and hotel staff surprised me with A birthday cake at time of breakfast and celebrated with whole staff. The manager Mr.Rishi was behind all that , that was really sweet of staff.
My infant son did enjoyed roof top clean swimming pool, Excellent gym, and kids area etc.
They have beautiful view inside the hotel. The restaurant provides nice buffet + they have Disco which is more active on weekends. Also they have inside the hotel a Bakery, Travel desk, Personal Astrologer, Spa Center, A shop selling authentic items.
I would recommend this hotel to others also

Room Tip: Well if you can afford then try to get a better room which is located on 1st floor, that includes a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Rajat197900
Thank you for a wonderful review. We are pleased to have met your expectations.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have to meet my fiancee in jaipur, came from abroad for a single day to meet her...done online booking in the hotel...cheked in..but when my fiancee came to meet me Staff people said that they cant allow opposite sex person in the room, as a visitor if she is from jaipur only...I even furnished her ID card but these people were not ready to accept it, saying that its their policy...they spoiled all...when i asked them to show me this in written that its a policy or why its not there on hotel's website when i done the booking...they cant prove their point...i decided to leave immidiately...but they charged me half of the room rent as I was alone in the room for 30 mins....please dont visit this hotel...its rather a place of Cheap nd outdated mentality staff claiming to be staff of a 5 star hotel category...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank welcome4488
Fernhotels, General Manager at The Fern - An Ecotel Hotel, Jaipur, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for selecting our hotel on your visit to Jaipur and for your positive reviews of our location, rooms and cleanliness.

We do apologise that your visit did not go as planned. Unfortunately, you came across one of the unwritten rules of Jaipur society, which we as a leading hotel management brand must adhere to. The Fern Hotels & Resorts respects the social values of the hotel owners and communities in which we operate.

We wish you and your fiancée a happy married life together and would like to extend an invitation to have your marriage ceremony & reception at The Fern Jaipur. The hotel is a popular destination for weddings and The Pink City is a wonderful place to explore Rajasthan’s legendary romance and warrior culture with many activities for all age groups.
charleston
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The rooms and bathrooms are lovely, the spa, gym, and rooftop pool were all very nice. Food was mediocre. Noise level from the Grunge hot spot on the weekend was excessive and kept many of our group up till almost 2am. The worst experience was the way management handled a lost Coach passport cover. We gave the front desk our passports upon entering and received them back about 3 -4 hours later. Mine had been protected by a lovely Coach cover, which was missing when it was returned. The management took no reposnsibilty for its loss. After being very persistent, they finally agreed to take $10 off our bill (I had reported that it cost at least $30 to $50). The manager had such a negative attitude that it left a very bad impression of a nice hotel.

Room Tip: hallways are very dark and there is a pervasive cleaner smell. Try to avoid rooms that are above th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank jpmf
Thank you for feedback. As the general manager, I have been appraised of your experience and have instructed the team to let me know as soon as they find your Coach passport cover.

The manager in question was enrolled into a sensitivity training programme and has since been receiving positive comments from guests.

We appreciate your review as it the best way we can receive constructive and direct feedback as a means to improve our services.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and look forward to your visit again.
Paris, France
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Truth be told, in Jaipur, the hotel appears to be a modern beacon of comfort when first arriving. After staying in much more dated and run down hotels in Delhi and Agra prior to arriving in Jaipur -- all of which purported to be 4 star hotels -- it really was comforting to arrive in a seemingly modern and updated hotel.

When first arriving, the hotel is beautiful with modern conveniences and pretty good pricing. However, housekeeping was severely lacking. The comforters on both beds had someone else's body hair all over it, there were stains on the duvets, and the towels also had random stains on it. Let's say it together -- GROSS.

Upon calling the front desk, the staff responded quickly, which was lovely, but housekeeping ended up bringing two damp comforters up to the room. If you know India at all, it's pretty humid this time of year, so perhaps this sort of thing is commonplace here, but not at all what would be expected in a hotel of this purported caliber. In fact, I just feel bad for the staff. Clearly hotel management does not know what is expected and is STANDARD worldwide, and if training and execution were not so grossly lacking, perhaps this hotel would have a shot.

Really, everything else is decent or pretty good, I would say, except for the Sohum Spa experience. AVOID LIKE A POOL FULL OF DENGUE MOSQUITOS. I was really sold on the price -- a 2 hour spa package including an express facial, massage, and body scrub for 7300 rupee? Unheard of! Well, the old adage is true -- you get what you pay for. Like I wrote in my complaint above, truly this is a training issue. The therapists are inexperienced and probably are following a horribly dated and unspecific training guide from their corporate offices. It's not that I think the therapists didn't care -- I'm sure they did, it's spa management that didn't. Sreekanth MR, the purported "Assistant Manager" could care less about the long list of complaints. It's as if they were falling on deaf ears and he was following his own corporate "manual" of how to fix an issue. He also was extremely reticent to give out his corporate manager's information so that we could take this to a higher level. His response was "no one ever complained before." My companion and I have had a high number of various spa treatments in multiple countries, at many different price points, and this is the first one I saw fit to even complain about. Don't tell me I'm wrong, and please don't try to explain to me that your therapists have been there 8 months when those hands felt like they barely touched a face before.

The list of complaints you ask?
-Massage room was cold. Ever hear of hot towels?? Yeah, they're EVERYWHERE else you get a massage. Instead, we got cold towels, and there wasn't even a possibility of heating up the room because there was no heater in there.
-Staff who could not understand what we were saying, so they couldn't even properly respond.
-Why even bother filling out a card requesting certain areas to be "highlighted" during the massage when that doesn't even happen? YES, my neck and shoulders got a gloss-over, when I specifically requested that they get more attention.
-Another request: STRONG pressure. What I received? Light-to-medium pressure, and had to ask the therapist at least twice for increased pressure.
-Slow service: how long does it take to get whatever lotions, etc. needed? Shouldn't that already all be in the room if you had booked the appointment the day before??? Also, my companion and I specifically requested we finish the service on time since we had sightseeing plans that were very time-sensitive. Of course, we realized 10 minutes after our treatments were supposed to end that we were already late. No one let us know.
-INEXPERIENCE: when you've had multiple spa treatments before, you know a good one from a bad one. You know when someone is experienced and someone is not. Those hands were not experienced. That was not a facial. I had facial scrub put into my eye. I had a therapist who didn't know how to operate a hair band to get the hair out of my face. My companion actually had facial scrub put into her eye, nose, and mouth. My therapist actually focused more on rubbing some substance into my chest rather than my face. I didn't order a chest treatment -- I ordered a facial. PLEASE hire someone/train this person well enough to distinguish between a face and chest. The inordinate amount of time spent on the chest was enough for me to drive home this point.
-My biggest issue: Sreekanth MR. Honestly, when a customer makes a complaint about inexperienced service, do them a favor and listen. This is the hospitality industry, not some checklist you're trying to troubleshoot. LISTEN, RESPOND positively in a way the customer feels valued and is fair, don't argue, don't haggle, don't avoid giving out your supervisor's information. It was really an impersonal response, and one that I feel will never go any higher than this. It was if my companion and I were just a statistic, that we were the aberration as opposed to the norm. He did cut down the charge for the services, which was an appropriate response, but I didn't feel as if it was a proportionate amount for what services were performed. Why don't I just hire some random person on the street to perform spa services on me? That's exactly what it was like. Amateur.

Let me tell you, when you've had a number of spa treatments, you can tell immediately when something's not right. And this was definitely not right. Once again, I feel bad for the staff because they're probably doing what they have been taught, but this is an issue at the corporate level. The spa does not operate as typical spas worldwide would and the management does not care to change this clearly. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID unless you want an unsatisfying experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank CTrave
Fernhotels, Public Relations Manager at The Fern - An Ecotel Hotel, Jaipur, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for feedback. We have let the housekeeper know of your experience and have take corrective action to ensure guests receive a perfectly clean room at all times.

The Sohum Spa company too have been appraised of your experience and have promised to improve the training of their masseurs and managers.

Please continue to fill the comment cards and also share your experiences with managers at all hotels as it the best way we hoteliers can receive constructive and direct feedback as a means to improve our services.