“Devi Niwas is the place to stay!”
Review of Devi Niwas Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jaipur
Devi Niwas Hotel
Ranked #143 of 535 Jaipur B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

I'm amazed that Devi Niwas has some bad reviews. I stayed there for 10 days and really enjoyed staying there. The room I stayed in was basic, but the price was very reasonable. The family are very nice and helpful. No wi-fi, but I was invited to make free use of the family's computer. I really recommend anyone planning to stay in Jaipur to try the Devi Niwas; I'll certainly be staying there again next time I'm in Jaipur.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Phil O

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

First impression seemed ok, room was large but not terribly comfortable bed. But in the evening sat with the other backpackers and the family, sat around eating nibbles and drinking chai, the children are adorable and they have lots of animals. The most homely feel we've had in India and one of our favourite places to stay. Good value, not too far from palaces etc (50 rupee autorickshaw max). No wifi but free use of the family computer, as much as you want.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank georgecviii
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We arrived at Devi Niwas to what seemed a dingy, pigeon infested courtyard. After spending several minutes trying to find someone to show us to our room we were greeted by a (seemingly) friendly lady. She showed us up to our room (some very unstable, steep stairs) where we were then confronted with 3 pigeons sitting in our room, bird poo down the curtains and a horrible sticky feel. After an extremely busy day travelling though we decided to give the place a go. Over the next 3 days we received little help with rick-shaws, places to eat and places to see. Although home-cooked food was tasty it was normally very delayed. Also seeing many faces (who assumingly lived at the Home) but did not welcome us and we were never to be introduced...We found that the only decent thing about this place was the children, who invited us to play badminton and would normally serve us food and drinks.
The room in general was very dirty and sheets dusty with pigeon feathers on (decided to sleep in our sleeping bags for first time in 3 weeks). Bathroom was ridden with bird poo and no hot water available...
Also towards the end of our stay the toilet system actually managed to fall off the wall!! and when informing the owner she simply shrugged it off and said she'd sort it the following day! On our last day we paid and then stayed an extra few hours, reading in the courtyard and waiting for our driver. We noticed that after paying the owner seemed very rude and we did not feel welcome anymore!
Overall we do not recommend this place to anyone, no "home-stay" feel to it AT ALL!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anniegxx
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We never had, based on what other reviewers have noted, the extreme displeasure of meeting Mrs. Signh. It's also true that we did not actually stay in Devi Niwas, although we came dangerously close.

We arrived in Jaipur by train, and had booked in advance with the Devi Niwas, who also kindly said they would send a rickshaw driver to meet us at the station. No driver was there, and when we called the proprieter, he blamed his lazy driver for the no-show and resolved to send him immediately. We waited just under an hour, but when our driver turned up, he told us he had no prior knowledge of our booking, and had only just been called to provide the lift.

On arrival as over the phone, there was no apology for our delay, and we were ordered to pay for the room up front, before even viewing it. The gentleman at reception assured us that this was standard practice across India (although I have never experienced it in, three visits to the country spanning 10 years). Reluctantly we paid, and reluctantly he said 'thank you'.

The room was a disaster: filthy, spare and as uninviting as the receptionist. We quickly re-read the Lonely Planet's glowing assessment of the place and wondered if the reviewer had quaffed one too many special lassis. Knowing that, for the money we paid, we could stay somewhere much more comfortable, clean and friendly - and where payment would be taken upon departure, we decided to head back down to reception, retrieve our downpayment (not without an argument from the receptionist, who, incidentally, threw the money back at me), and found our sleighted rickshaw-wallah.

He took us to the superb Pearl Palace, and if you have any sense, that's where you'll stay in Jaipur too. I believe they also offer a reliable pick-up service, too.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cranalan
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I stayed at the Devi Niwas from 7th-10th March 2012, so I had the chance to celebrate the Holi festival with them. The hotel is run by a lovely family with two exquisite kids, who were a real pleasure to interact with. The home-cooked food was delicious, the rooms large and clean, though basic. A big plus was the fact that life didn't start at 5 am as in other indian hotels, so we really managed to relax. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank RobyBalboa
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I am a single female traveling alone and I read and heard about this hotel being very nice. I walked quite a ways to arrive only to be greeted by a hostile woman who did not even want to talk to me. When I asked the price, she made it seem as if she did not even want to give me a room. I was so tired that I decided for one night it could not be that bad. I dropped off my bags and went out to find where my bus would be leaving from the next day. When I asked for help with directions, they said they did not know where anything was. I asked if they could call for me (to a local number) and she said it was going to cost me many rupees and she did not want to do it. I ventured out on my own and found it eventually. When I returned, again I was greeted with frustration that I was even there. I needed to get to the bus station early the next morning and was asking for help in lining up a rickshaw. I was told that he does not recommend using buses so he cannot even tell me where the central bus station is. He emphasized that all government buses in India are just as good as in Europe (which is not the case at all from my experience). Additionally, there was no hot water.

In India, I have never seen such rudeness or disrespect to a traveler. I was highly disappointed and will not recommend that anyone else stays here. The walls are covered with nice reviews but I did not experience ANY part of this good experience. Maybe they just do not like single travelers. I am not sure what caused them to be so bad to me.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel if possible.