“A nice surprise, exceeded expectations”
Review of Hotel Glitz

Hotel Glitz
Ranked #76 of 419 Specialty Lodging in Jaipur
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“A nice surprise, exceeded expectations”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

If this hotel is comparable in price to the other hotels we stayed at in Rajasthan, then it is great for the price (see paragraph below on my trip, I actually don’t know what the hotel was paid for our stay). The location is out of the city center, so you’ll need to take a taxi into town, though it may be walkable if that’s your thing.

Extremely clean rooms with numerous amenities – space heater in the room (nice since we went through Rajasthan in the winter), a bathtub clean and big enough that our two girls could take a bath. Though the hot water was a mere trickle, at least in our room. There’s a dance show in the restaurant every night, though I saw advertisements for this type of dance in several hotels in the area.

They have free internet in their business center, though I found the computer to be old and cranky, and the electricity went out twice in 30 minutes for a few seconds, which resulted in me having to restart the computer each time. There is also an exercise room, though I did not check this out.

This hotel was nice enough that we talked our driver into staying here for a third night instead of our scheduled two. Though part of that was due to the fact that we all needed some warmth and a good wash, as our previous hotels had been cold and the bathrooms not as nice.

Restaurant is ok, priced at slightly higher than usual tourist levels than other tourist restaurants. Though they do have beer and wine.

The staff is friendly and responsive. We called them at 8pm to do something about the hot water. Someone arrived promptly, but wasn’t really able to fix it. But we appreciated the timely effort.
I would stay here again if I were in Jaipur and the price was right. The main downside is that it is not in the old city, you just have to decide if that’s ok with you.

Background of my trip through India: my wife and I traveled with our two kids, ages 6 & 7, through India for five weeks in Dec 2013/Jan 2014. On two legs of our trip we hired a car and driver, and took trains and taxis for the other parts of the trip. We are Americans, but live outside of the US in a third world country. When looking for a hotel, cleanliness is a prime consideration for us, followed by location and price. I always appreciate a place that appears to have friendly and responsive management. We consider ourselves to be ‘budget travelers’, but now that we have kids and are more fastidious about cleanliness, we have upped the budget a bit and no longer go for the absolute cheapest option that Lonely Planet and/or Trip Advisor have to offer.

On our trip through Rajasthan, we were rather cold during the evenings and found rooftop/outdoor restaurants to be often to chilly to eat in. Not that it is so incredibly cold in Rajasthan, but we live in a hot climate, so we have become unaccustomed to it being so cold.

When we were with a car and driver, we stayed at hotels for 1-2 night in each city, and the hotel was chosen for us by the tour agency, so we were not aware of the price of the room. However, the quality of the rooms was comparable to what we would have chosen anyways. To give you an idea of our budgetary considerations, in Delhi, Goa, and Mumbai, we were paying about 2000-2900 rupees per night for our family of four, often in a room with one large bed, or a medium size bed with a mattress on the floor, or sometimes three twin-sized beds. Outside of these cities, this type of room seemed to be priced at 1500-2000.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Feltham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a tour of the 'Golden Triangle' and it was decidedly average. The room was absolutely freezing cold (early jan) with no heaters on offer though we did get a blanket. Laundry service was good and reasonably priced. Staff were fine, not overly pleasant - I asked for a hairdryer which never arrived. Restaurant was ok but I'm fairly sure I got an upset tummy from the buffet so would stick to the menu! Average in every way I would only recommend in the warmer weather and not for very long.

• Stayed January 2014
manila
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed in this category 3 star hotel in Jaipur as part of a tour. We had 2 days. I had some apprehension since my travel agent told me he cannot be so sure about the hotel and he assured me of the other hotels we would be going to during the trip. Since we just arrived from Agra, and the hotel there was not very good (but rated well by our agent), I told my family to just brace themselves and don't panic on the hotel in Jaipur. But just when we came there, the room was very spacious, and the bathroom was clean and huge with a full size tub. My 4 year old daughter and I had a very grand time playing hide-and-seek, and she taught me dancing her Jai-ho (priceless!) There was free wi-fi. Breakfast was ala carte since we were early birds and buffet was not yet available. The doorman was just so picturesque and we had a chance with him actually since we were also dressed up for the tour.

Room Tip: be nice to your agent and more benefits await the nicest people. our room view is the main entrance...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

We travelled all India in desember and this hotel is not so bad to be in this country. We had wifi -not so good but you could easily use social media and email. The use a strong detergent to kill cockroaches so it smells a lot in the bathroom but we kept the door closed so it was ok. The prices at the restaurant was quite high so we recommend to eat outside the hotel (it was also very loud at the restaurant!). The breakfast was crap!!! Bread and papaya was the only thing we could eat. It is an ok stay (just short) but do not expect to much.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travlers4ever

Travelers are raving about these Jaipur hotels

Pushkar, India
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Saying in short words: expensive, no Wi-Fi, no hot water, bad food at the restaurant, extremelly dirty and stuff is awful.

We stayed in this hotel with my husband during three nights - and that was the worst hotel we have ever been in India. The lowest price for the room is about 3000 Roupies - it is about 50 U.S. dollars. Our guide told us that it is one of the best places to stay in Jaipur - but it is not.

The climate system is out of order - we were freezing inside the room. When we asked to change the room - the staff pretended that they didn't understand English and brought a little heater which appeared to be out of order. After an hour we finally moved to the same cold room.

No hot water - it is barely warm in the evening + cold room. The room is dirty - the dust and hair are everywhere!

No WI-FI in the room, to get a bad connection you have to go down to lobby and try to use it after 11.00 p.m. when all the staff are sleeping and don't watch movies on the reception.

The restaurants' food is awful, nor for prepaid breakfast nor for diner ordered. There was only one day we had a normal breakfast - on Sunday - I guess that was only because a big delegation form Japan came for bussiness.

I wouldn't advice you to stay here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Tanya T
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2013

The hotel room overall was ok, shower had hot water, air conditioning ok and room clean. What wasn't so great was that the cold water in the bathroom completely stopped during our stay which meant toilet would not refill to flush. Hotel wi-fi worked in hotel reception but not bedroom. Reception staff spoke very basic English and were not eger to assist. Hotel is not in main area so would need a car or driver.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I think you pretty much get what you pay for here. We had two nights and there were no issues. On arrival, the staff seemed friendly enough and they changed our room for us without us asking because it had a funny smell. There is 24 hour room service and the breakfast is of a standard you would expect for a budget place like this - average or maybe marginally above average. The rooms were basic but clean and comfortable with decent air-conditioning. The wi-fi didn't work in our room though which may annoy some people if it's needed. One member of staff was slightly rude and aloof during breakfast, but the next day seemed a bit friendlier. I think there are much better hotels in Jaipur, but if you're on a budget, it's fine and pretty much what you'd expect.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple