“Worth waiting for the table ....”
Review of Cafe Mondegar

Cafe Mondegar
Ranked #41 of 14,683 Restaurants in Mumbai (Bombay)
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Cafe Mondegar, Mumbai is one of the hotspots of Colaba. This is a great watering hole for both thirsty travellers and revellers. We had the (mis) fortune of being there on a wrong day. The wait was long and the queue was unending because after all, was a Saturday evening!

After been offered the 'inside' cabin to accommodate ourselves (to which we politely refused) we were given the front facing table which was occupied for a very long time. A 'stand out' wait for almost an hour and we got this much coveted table for ourselves for a nice long drink. Believe me it was a great wait! The cafe is full of youngsters, ex-pats, wannabes, etc of the city and outside.

The front tables are recommended to watch the outside action while drinking, including the restless long queues of people staring at you and wanting to throw you out ! Great place for a drink and the Kingfisher draft beer jar is recommended while you wait-out the waiting and jeering crowd!

Go early on a Saturday evenings to enjoy standing and also watching the long queues...a must drink place.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Mondegar

Reviewed June 23, 2013

One of the best cafe in Mumabi, loved it, went there in happy hours, nice snacks and atmosphere, went there on sunday night, had to wait for a bit, outside the cafe, but it was worth it.
DJ plays awesome tracks, walls are painted beautifully, if you drink and you are in mumbai its a must to try.

1  Thank yashankit
Reviewed June 4, 2013

After spending an interesting morning on the Colaba Causeway street market, we decided to have lunch at one of the cafes there. We chose Cafe Mondegar over the more famous Leopolds as the interiors here were more appealing and lively with interesting graffiti on the walls.

The menu card is put on the table like a table mat. Every guest has a menu card to him/herself. I appreciated the fact that all rates were inclusive of taxes so that there are no unpleasant surprises later on!

I ordered a tenderloin steak (well done) while my wife ordered chicken stuffed with cheese. The portions were good sized and both dishes came with french fries and sauteed vegetables. We also ordered a basket of garlic bread with cheese. For drinks I ordered pomegranate juice while my wife ordered cold coffee. The food and drinks were quite good and the bill came to around 1000 bucks.

Would certainly visit again on a future trips to Mumbai!

3  Thank IshwinderSingh
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Went to the place @ midnight and also in the morning for b'fast- the best thing about this place is the atmosphere and the crowd. At midnight its lively and rocking, great ambiance , the walls with Mario caricatures all over. The food is good and beer is flowing, good eating options for b'fast as well as dinner. A lot of young and firang crowd. Location wise easy to find and in the heart of Colaba.

1  Thank ykd
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

I stepped into Cafe Mondegar not only because it was lunch-time, but also because it came recommended through travel websites. I was not disappointed. I loved the fact that it was so inviting, with its Mario Miranda (the late cartoonist) painted walls, a jukebox playing classics (Boney M...when I was there), menus that were laid out beneath the glass table tops (definitely saves the servers' time handing them out to patrons) and its hospitable service. Even a gentleman, possibly the owner; came by to ask us how we were doing.
The menu was a good mix of Indian, Chinese and Western dishes. The chicken tikka and butter chicken served with garlic naan and steamed rice were tasty but could do with more meat and less gravy. Nonetheless, they were delicious. Dessert was the good-old caramel custard, how it harkens back to days gone by.
I was so delighted I did not hesitate to tip, plus I will definitely recommend this charming cafe to anyone wanting a bite!

2  Thank CCHSingapore