“Good Bengali food”

Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Andheri West/Versova
Reviewed July 17, 2013

For a long time I've looked around for good Bengali food in Bombay, and now I've found it.
The first part of the menu is BHAPA or steamed food. Their Dhone Bhapa Maach (fish with coriander and chilli paste wrapped in banana leaf and steamed) is very nice as is the Roshan Bhapa Maach (with raw garlic and red chilli)
Among the rest of their dishes the Smoked Hilsa, Ilish Begun Jhol (Hilsa curry with brinjal), and the Aam Kashundi Kakra (crabmeat balls cooked in mustard and raw mango) are very nice too.
They also have a convenient home delivery service and if I'm too lazy or tired to cook, I often call for a good Bengali meal.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

The best thing about Bengali cuisine is the freshness of the freshwater fish :-)........ the menu was enticingly long and detailed and having no exposure to bengali cuisine so far, it took us a lot of time to decide what to order. of course, the captain had his suggestions. but i am the kind of person who wants to completely lick through the menu and read the descrption of every dish :-)

The food was awesome !..... tried a fish tikka and a steamed fish starter with betki fish. Both cooked beautifully !For main course, we ordered the kalia curry - simple yet tasty and a dish with crab meat in mango flavouring masala - it was good but it was a little too sweet.

would defientely recomend sea food lovers to visit - i think fresh water fish has a a cut above :-)

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Very good authentic sea food preparation esp Hilsa and Rohu fishes - Bengali variety. Even prawn starters were excellent.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Two prominent bastions of Bengali culture in Mumbai are in Lokhandwala Andheri, one the pandals of Durga puja and Anjan Chatterjee's Oh! Calcutta restaurant. The waiters talk in Bengali with the regular Bengali customers and you end up listening to one of the most pleasant languages of the world, The menu has the bengali names of various items with a detailed description. Since I had already had dinner . W.e ordered a mishti doi and a sandesh. The mishti doi was excellent. & Sandesh was very good (benchmarked with Sandesh of Girish Ch Dey & Nakur Ch Nandy). Visit recommended for cultural exposition and for its simple but awesome desserts. Since I am a veggie I cant comment on their "Macher jhol".

1  Thank ShreyasMalkan
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We went back to the Tardeo Oh! Calcutta aft many years and did not know what to expect in terms of the food quality and service. I was pleasantly surprised on both counts. The staff is absolutely perfectly trained, very efficient and courteous, have yet to come across such service in the many of the five starred restaurants. We did not order any starters as we wanted to gorge on the big variety of main courses, yet as we sipped on our drinks and waited for our food, they brought us a plate of banana flower cutlets on the house as also some fried lentil snacks with scrumptious yoghurt and tomato dips. The Hilsa in mustard sauce was really good as were the chingri malai curry. The jheenge aloo poshto had very little ridge gourd and too many potatoes which were raw in the centre. After we finished our meal, I did mention it to the manager who came to our table for our feedback. He was very concerned about my comment on the poshto and apologised for it as also struck it off our tab. We were too full to try the mishti despite me having salivated over the mishti that our neighbouring tables were being served and it all looked very good. This was my 2nd Bengali meal in 3 days and I'm not even Bengali but I loved both my meals and kudos to the management at Oh! Calcutta for training their team so well.

1  Thank Anjali T