“The Hotel from Hell”

Four Seasons Hotel Mumbai
Ranked #11 of 448 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Nepal
“The Hotel from Hell”
Reviewed February 20, 2011

This is the kind of hotel you have heard about but never experienced. After just having spent the last week in some really nice establishments I was all excited about returning to Mumbai. I was simply horrified at what greeted me when I got to this hotel. Repair work, renovation, no front door, open air entrance. No greeting. Made to wait to get to the hell hole I was about to be put in. I just wanted to run. And the smells that were wofting about.
I complained about the room and they said they would put me in a nicer room so I thought I would give them the benfit of the doubt. Had to wait till mid afternoon to be moved from one hell hole into another room that wasn't all that much different. Shattered dreams. All I want to do is to get out of here.
So if you want to spend some time in Mumbai and just the basics are okay then this place is made for you. But if you like some of the simple creature comforts then give this hotel a really wide berth

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank himalayamikey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 17, 2011

The hotel is beautifully decorated and I would definitely recommend the hotel for its rooms, the restaurants and the amazing bar on the top floor.

The rooms are spacious, the bathrooms is gorgeous and the L'Occitane bathroom products means you don't need to pack shampoos, conditioners and hand cream if you're staying here. The minor thing I did note was that the bed skirt in my room was stained and I was surprised that hadn't been noticed/changed before my arrival at the hotel--surprising for a Four Seasons.

The food in the restaurants and room service was excellent which was a nice perk as coming home late from work, it is nice to have the option to relax and eat in the hotel if you didn't have the energy to go out.

The bar at the top of the hotel is amazing and definitely worth a visit when in Mumbai. The food here was very good as well as were the drinks but the view of the city is at sunset/night is stunning. If you're coming in rainy season, bring an umbrella to the bar just in case. We got caught in the rain and the design of the exit/entry from the bar, we were soaked trying to leave--there is only one exit from the bar (I'm sure this is a serious fire safety hazard so hopefully there isn't a fire when you are there) and the tiles from the bar and on the exit stairs are slippery in the rain.

The flip side of having a very popular bar at the top of the hotel is that if you are on the higher floors, you can hear the music at night from your room. I think the music stops at midnight but it can be disruptive if you are trying to sleep early. I was on the 17th floor and could still hear the soft pounding of the music. Not a big deal on the 17th floor but I wouldn't to be much higher up in the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2011

A fantastic trip from the moment we arrived. The staff are exceptional at making you really feel at home in such a chaotic city. AER bar gives the best view of the city.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 1, 2011

My family just returned from 2 separate stays at the Four Seasons Mumbai, and I HIGHLY recommend this hotel as the ONLY place to stay in Mumbai. On my previous trip we stayed at the Taj Mahal Palace hotel - which is beautiful, but lacks great service. That hotel has a nice location and view, but the Four Seasons has perfect service.

My daughter (who is an experienced world traveler), said this is her new favorite hotel in the world. That surprised me because it isn't a flashy or amazingly beautiful hotel, so I asked her why and she said that it is because the service she received was the best - she was made to feel so special, that she can't help but LOVE the hotel.

I have been lucky to stay at most of the great hotels all over the world (I have been to nearly 100 countries), and with out a doubt, this Four Seasons is in the top 10 for service. From the moment I arrived, everyone made me feel welcome and responded to my every need. I know the Four Seasons staff are trained to remember and use guest names, but I never remember every single person on the staff welcoming me by name before. Even after leaving the hotel for a few days, and then coming back, the staff met me at the car and all used my name when welcoming me - it was amazing (and I wonder how they can do it with all the guests they have).

This hotel isn't huge or flashhy - it is a quiet, reserved oasis in the middle of a VERY bustling city. If you are looking for a hotel that is going to wow you when you look at it, this isn't going to meet that need, but the service and style is as good at it gets.

The dinner restaurant is fantastic (and very well designed) - 4 Asian kitchens with great Japanese, Chinese, Indian, and Thai food. We went twice, with a large group of friends both times, and every item tasted great and the service was excellent.

Bottom line, the rooms are beautiful, the staff is AMAZING, and this is a hotel that will feel like your home away from home.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Matthew C
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed January 25, 2011

Chic, clean and comfortable hotel in ideal location for our particular business trip. Lovely rooms and public areas and good food with attentive, but unintrusive service made for a relaxed visit. One of my colleagues forgot to bring his spectacles with him to dinner and so was having trouble reading the menu. Unbelievably, the restaurant staff were able to provide him with some reading glasses! Similarly when one of our group fell ill, the hotel staff went out of their way to ensure the best care was provided. Disappointingly the rooftop bar was closed due to the onset of the Monsoons and the price of food and drinks was high in comparison to other major cities, but other than that it would be extremely difficult to find fault with this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2011

We stayed here and firstly were amazed by the city, the people and the sheer size of the population. The Hotel is situated a little way out but there are numerous taxis available. The public areas are small, but the rooms especially on the upper floors are excellent. The rooms are very spacious with very large bathrooms and have an interesting separate glass shower cubicle, with the bath alongside the window. The service is superb especially from the Concierge and the Reception team. Of particular mention is the casual San-Qi restaurant, the decor, staff and freshly cooked products are outstanding. We would highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed December 18, 2010

Night 1 ,had a suite room with a leaky bathroom above it,I walked in and slipped and fell.They moved me next day to an even higher level of suite.
Night3 I had an early plane to catch,the room was situated on 30th floor,but it may as well have been in a disco,the rooftop bar pounded until 12.30,bye bye nights sleep.
I have stayed at Taj Palace and visited Oberoi and in comparison the rooms are dreary,public spaces terrible. Service is generally good,but failure to check my bathroom and a failure to let guests know that the room will be noisy due to rooftop bar let it down.
My stay was so bad that I had to join Tripadvisor and post.
Don't stay here,if you want luxury go to Taj Palace which is amazing and the new Oberoi looks beautiful.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business