“Mostly very pleasant but inconsistent”

Four Seasons Hotel Mumbai
Ranked #11 of 489 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed May 29, 2009

My husband and I stayed for three nights in May. We chose the Four Seasons because our plans would take us to both south Mumbai and points north, so the Worli location was actually quite convenient for us. Despite the famous traffic, we never had a problem taking a fairly quick cab ride wherever we needed to go.

The room:

We were happy with the Deluxe Sea View room on the 29th floor. The view was as promised, nice full view to the Arabian sea, including from the bathtub. (yes you can also see a slum, but there are little shacks everywhere you go in Mumbai, including Pali Hill, so I'm not sure what the other reviewer expected).

The room was very clean and most of the facilities were as expected for a luxury hotel: very comfortable king bed; nice big waterfall shower and separate large, deep tub; large flatscreen TV and iPod docking station. My only equipment complaint was the hairdryer, a weak cheapo white plastic model (you know the kind) that really didn't match the quality of the other furnishings.

The style of the rooms is, as others have commented, rather sterile and completely international, giving no hint that you're in India. I would have liked to have seen some beautiful Indian fabrics and art incorporated for a little more local flavor.

Facilities and service:

Smooth, friendly airport pickup in the gorgeous Beemer was a treat. :) Especially after our first flight was cancelled and our replacement flight delayed.

Very friendly and helpful reception staff, security and porters.

Breakfast was excellent every morning with a wide selection of Western and Indian items, but service was usually very slow.

I didn't use the small gym but it looked very clean and well-equipped. My husband enjoyed the pool but it closes on the early side: no chance of a sunset dip.

I used the spa twice and had excellent massages both times. The therapists have excellent technique and work really hard. The sauna and other wet facilities are very small, but I had the run of the place on a Thursday morning and only one other person around on a Saturday, so this wasn't a problem.

Now the downside:

I was about to rate the hotel 5 (actually was wishing there was a 4.5 I could give, just because of tiny niggles) but on our last night in Mumbai, a few things happened that really struck a sour note and brought the overall rating down.

Like just about any international travelers, our flight home was scheduled for 2 a.m. We checked out at noon and left our luggage, then did some more sightseeing in town. To kill time in the evening before the flight, I had scheduled a few things at the hotel: a spa appointment for me, then dinner with my husband at San Qi. I set aside a little bag of dinner clothes and toiletries so that after my massage I could shower in the spa and get ready for dinner.

Well, after a really lovely massage, it seemed like my therapist couldn't wait to get rid of me! She walked me back to my locker and told me she'd wait while I changed, then take me down to reception to settle up. I explained that I'd like to take a shower and change for dinner, could I just give her her tip now and come down to reception a little later?

Therapist: Actually with this massage oil I recommend you leave it on for at least half an hour to absorb.

Me: Well, I have a dinner reservation so I really need to shower and change now.

Therapist: What if I give you a towel and you can just wipe off your back?

Me (with oil in my hair and everything, NOT presentable for dinner!): ?? I really need a quick shower.

Therapist: Well, in that case it won't be me who walks you down, it will have to be a spa attendant.

Me: Ok.

But then she waited while I took my shower and changed my clothes (quickly, I swear), watched me sit down at the vanity and pat on some face cream, then when I pulled out my makeup bag she asked "Ok, are you ready now, ma'am?"

At this point I gave up, followed her to reception and paid up, then went downstairs and booked it across the hotel lobby to the ladies room to finish getting ready, completely embarrassed to be in public with wet hair and no makeup. I really don't know why they were in such a hurry to get me out of there: the spa was not about to close; they had my credit card on file so no risk of not getting my rupees. It just made me feel REALLY unwelcome at the end of the stay.

Not to mention the (male) housekeeper walked in on the lobby ladies room twice while I was in there; the bar service after I met up with my husband took twenty minutes to deliver a glass of juice; and San Qi served my chicken completely raw in the middle. (That is not an exaggeration--the server's eyes widened when I showed her the piece I cut into!) The server apologized grimly and brought some complimentary dal in apology, but instead of having a new main course prepared the kitchen just sent the same chicken pieces back, cooked through this time but not exactly appetizing.

I held off on writing this review for a while because it was so hard to decide how to rate this hotel. I ended up at 4 stars because really, overall, it was a very pleasant stay. I'll chalk those last few hours up to inexperience and Election Night (the whole place really seemed to have "B" team on that night), and just hope management will do a little more training to ensure that *every* staff member lives up to the high standard one expects from the Four Seasons.

Overall, a good stay and ok value for money with a discounted internet rate, but I might try a different hotel next time we're in town.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PigInSpace
Write a ReviewReviews (2,066)

Reviewed May 10, 2009

From the view of a 13year old
I am 1 of 4 kids in a family of 6 and we stayed here at the Four Seasons Mumbai for 6 nights while visiting relatives nearby. When we arrived, you only have to go through a walk through security machine and then straight into the lobby. We arrived quite early so we had to wait 30 minutes in the lounge before we could go to our rooms. When we arrived at our rooms they offered us an upgrade from a standard king to a suite and we accepted it. We had originally got one standard king and one standard twin and the suite was just an extra living area in between the rooms. It was only an extra one hundred dollars a night and considering we got a deal that for every 3 nights we get one free which meant that we stayed for 6 nights and only paid for four. The hotel had a lovely swimming pool on the roof of the Japanese restaurant on the third floor. It was small but very nice and had a pool bar located right next to it. They also had a business center on the 3rd or 4th floor (very expensive, 200INR per page you print). The Japanese restaurant was very good. It is the same building as the hotel and is well worth it. The rooms were very nice as always at a Four Seasons and the suite gave my brother and me our own room while my two sisters shared a room and the same with my parents. Each room had a TV with cable and a large bathroom. The internet was in room broadband and very expensive, they charged over 1000 INR per 24 hours. The hotel location is a little awkward overlooking a slum village, although it is also right next to two shopping malls. The hotel is located 40 minute from the airport. I recommend this hotel.

[--]

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank packerfan490
Reviewed May 10, 2009

The Four Seasons Mumbai is a lovely property with huge rooms and beautiful views. It is a pity that some commentators seem to ignore the fact that large parts of Mumbai are slum-like, and that this is a fact of life. There is no location in Mumbai (other than a hole in the ground) that will shield travellers from the real Mumbai, not should one want to do that, other cities have merely hidden their poor areas, but this is a thriving democracy where the poor are not hidden away in some suburb.

The hotel offers the usual Four Seasons service and luxury, with room service etc being extremely quick and efficient, the spa is lovely and very well maintained. The front desk is as efficient and friendly as it is possible to be.

The location is perfect - mid-way between the South and the North, could not be better. The more famous Mumbai landmark hotels in the South are better located for tourists, but business travellers would find the Four Seasons far better located as it can take at least an hour to get from the South to Worli or Bandra or Juhu, where many businesses are based.

The restaurant San Qi is excellent, beautifully designed and very attentive service. The breakfast is world class, and the breakfast area is very beautiful, and minimalist.

The only disappointment is that the pool area is very exposed and windy, and the maintenance and service there needs some work. It would have been far better to have installed the pool downstairs, hidden from the prying eyes of the neighours (and the wind).

Mumbai is a great place, and the Four Seasons does it proud.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Gerhard13
Reviewed May 6, 2009

We stayed at the four seasons for 4 nights when we first arrived in Mumbai India. It was such a great experience that we tried to stay there again at the end of our trip, but unfortunately they were booked out so we had to go with another hotel.

This hotel is very expensive. It cost us 17,000 Rs per night. But the price you pay is made up for in service. Staff are efficient & fast. Staff standard of english is high & you encounter no communication problems. Whether you have a question for the staff at 4pm or 4am the staff are attentive & you get a answer within minutes.

When we arrived we booked for a standard room but were upgraded to their premium suite which was huge. They have LCD tv's, dvd players, DVD's can also be hired for free from the reception staff. The room had a separate bathroom with a shower (with gauranteed hot water & a huge shower head - felt like we I was standing under a waterfall) and a bathtub and a huge double sink where both myself and my wife could brush at the same time. The bathroom also had marbled floors and huge mirror which gave it a grand look.
The room was immaculate with a desk and also a sofa where you could sit and enjoy fresh fruit. You also get a bar fridge and tea/coffee making facilities. There was also a walk-in wardrobe where you could keep your bags - this was a decent size too.

Now to the bed - this is by far the most luxurious bed I have slept in. It was cosy - they used the highest quality linen / pillows were comfy and we woke up refreshed every morning without any aches or pains and we slept through the entire night.

The hotel is close to phoenix mall. It is near worli and about 30 - 60 mins drive from airport. It is also close to Worli sea face (nice place to go for a walk) and not too far of a drive from Colaba area. The hotel is lined with palm trees - and probably isnt easy to locate but is noticable as they use fairy lights and you see security outside the gate.

I highly recommend this place to anyone - they are truly a five star hotel. Service and rooms are immaculate. It maybe expensive but is a price worth paying…

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Prince_nz
Reviewed May 3, 2009

You will not find anything that is more luxurious than the Four Seasons Hotel in Mumbai. The quality of its rooms to service is simply top notch.

As a frequent hotel stayer in Mumbai and enjoy trying out different hotels, I love this hotel very much.

I also love their restaurants which I think offers one of the best cuisines in Mumbai.

A 6 star hotel experience.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mayurpatel75sin
Reviewed April 30, 2009

After much debate over where to stay whilst in Mumbai (between Taj, Inter Con etc) i decided to stay at the Four Seasons. All i can say is iam so glad i did. I enjoyed the experience so much that i thought i must write a review (my first for trip advisor), as i thought so many of the other reviews got it so wrong.

Iam a seasoned traveller from the UK and have stayed in many five star hotels, between London and New York, Miami and Hong Kong, i could go on and on, but by far this was one of the best for both service and facilities.

I agree that the location in Worli is a little way from the main attraction areas such as Colaba, but if you dont mind a 30 minute taxi ride then there really is no problem. You could even take a ride in one of the new style BMW 7 series- the price is right and the car comes stocked with chilled water and face towels.

As well as the amazing San Qi resturant at the hotel, i also found a number of other resturants within 5 minutes of the hotel as well as the Hard Rock Cafe. It must also be noted that the breakfast at the hotel was great- everything you could want was on offer! Room service, although expensive, was also great!

I choose to stay in a Delux Sea View room, and i couldn't have asked for anything better. It had two large beds, a spacious bathroom with seperate tub and shower and great amenities in the room- DVD player, IPOD dock, work desk, 3 telephones. The room was serviced twice aday, as you'd expect from any five star property.

The pool and SPA was lovely. The massage i had was probably my best ever and the pool attendants were great. The gym had the latest equipement and was really cool and airy.I did notice that some reviews mention bird problems in the pool area, but the hotel has new measures in place and i can honestly say there were no problems whilst i was at the hotel- everything was kept clean and bird free!

Final, i must say the staff are great. Anything you could want, they will get, even if it means travelling an hour away from the hotel to get it (like they did for me). Omakar on the front desk was particually helpful, but in all honesty all the team were outstanding. Very professional, polite and welcoming.

If you dont mind being a little way out of the way and the high prices, then this will definatly be the hotel for you whilst in Mumbai, whether on business or as a tourist!

Enjoy happy times...

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank UKtraveller0732
Reviewed April 23, 2009

The hotel is really overpriced for the location and services on offer.

Most of the four seasons have beautiful locations, and pamper the guests. However this one at Mumbai (formerly Bombay), India is located in Worli (Central Mumbai).

The location has a tough entrance, and the surrounding locations are almost slum areas.

Not safe for women especially women in western outfits to venture out of the hotel for a walk late evenings or early mornings.

Best Avoided - Choose Taj or Oberoi instead.

Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business