“Overage Mid-level Hotel in India”
Review of Sea Palace Hotel

Sea Palace Hotel
Ranked #196 of 454 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Moscow, Russia
“Overage Mid-level Hotel in India”
Reviewed January 18, 2011

We stayed in Sea Palace Hotel for one night.

Below are some brief points about it:

1. Room

-- room size quite small but ok
-- only twin beds
-- bed sheets old and unclean - had to sleep in clothes
-- generally all furniture and room equipment is old
-- the room was equipped with both fan and air conditioner (very old and noisy), it was very stuffy and we chose to sleep with open window
(and got cold in the morning since the beds were exactly at the window)
-- room view ok, quite in the night
-- hot water 24 hours!:)
-- for those who suffers from cats allergy -- be aware of cats in halls

2. Breakfast

-- poor choice of food
-- mainly traditional Indian food not acceptable for Europeans
-- bread/toasts and eggs were available
-- something was wrong with the water - tea smelled badly

3. Service

-- overall ok, but not accurate
-- we ordered dinner through "room service", as usual we requested all dishes without chilly and not spicy, needless to say that we could enjoy only steam rice, as usual as well... :)
-- the girl at the reception could not find our passports...
-- I paid for our dinner at the reception desk by a credit card, my friend called me, I left and forgot to take my card back. No one from the hotel staff contacted me afterwards. We left Mumbai after the check-out and I had to block my card.

4. Location

-- far from the airport (not less than 30 min at night)
-- sea facing
-- walk distance from the city center and the gates of India (after the breakfast we started to walk around straight from the hotel, very convenient)
-- there is quite broad road between the hotel and the sea, however can't say how noisy it is because our room faced the yard

5. Price & Value

Good hotels in Mumbai are expensive, especially in the center.

From all mid-level hotels located in the south Mumbai (where all the sights are) this one was the cheapest.

If compared to an ordinary European hotel Sea Palace Hotel is generally old, not very clean and not nice at all. But after a week of traveling through inner regions of India we really enjoyed hot shower, blankets and eggs in the morning. I doubt we could find something significantly better for the same price.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed January 13, 2011

the place is not nice the hotel is not worth it, it might be a great location but sometimes the internet can make everyting look more than what it is...

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Mumbai (Bombay) hotels

Visakhapatnam, India
Reviewed November 25, 2010

The Sea Palace hotel is located at walking distance from the Gateway of India, opposite the Radio club and close to Mumbai's major shopping area, Colaba. I stayed as a guest in the hotel in a business trip to Mumbai and was offered corporate rates.

The lobby of the hotel, even though quite small, has been well done up and does look appealing. The restaurant too has been done up recently and looks nice. Checking in was easy and since I had already made reservations, they were expecting me. I was also impressed with their guest relations officer who personally contacted me after confirming the room.

Initially I was put up in a very very small room which barely had space for one single bed. However, I was immediately upgraded to a much better room with a king sized bed on request, without any hassles. The room services provided are quite up the mark with the room being cleaned on a daily basis. The bathrooms in both the rooms I stayed were adequate with all facilities available. Towels were changed on a daily basis as part of the room service.

The televisions were the normal CRT which looks quite old as compared to LCD televisions being offered by most hotels these days. However, all relevant channels were available. Internet is available through Wi-fi but not as part of the package. The rates are quite steep with one hour around Rs. 100 (2$).

The breakfast comprised of some regular fruits like water melon / banana, one juice (packed), toast, corn flakes, eggs on order and some vegetarian dishes like dosa, poha etc. Nothing much to boast about but not too bad either. The dinner offered was again a buffet with one soup, roti, one dal, one vegetable, one non-veg dish and rice. Curd / raita was also on offer. This is not part of the standard package along with the room.

The best part of the hotel is the location which is at close proximity to Gateway of India which is a tourist destination. The hotel also overlooks the bay with view of anchored sailing vessels certainly an appealing feature.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Rahul74
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I recently returned from 6 nights at the Sea Palace. I read the Trip Advisor reviews before going. So, since my expectations were not high I wasn't disappointed. It was probably a bit better than expected. Here are my pros and cons. As you can see, I had a lot of time to contemplate these during the week of my life that I lived at the S.P.

Pros
-Location
-Price. They offered a much lower rate than advertized when my Indian co-worker asked for one. About $100/night which is very reasonable for the area. Didn't run into hidden charges (beyond normal hotel tax) or any other funny buisness with the bill.
-Room service food - This was probably the best thing about the whole hotel. I found the kitchen to be quite good. In particular the spaghetti was really tasty and not oddly spiced. This was surprising given that this is India so of course not the local cuisine. Their Indian food was good too but I only ordered it once since (as an American) I am used to eating different kinds of food every day and didn't want Indian food for dinner after having it for lunch every day. Room service was also polite and prompt and came with nice touches like free potato chips with beer.
-TV - there were a ton of channels including HBO and TLC. I had a lot of extra time to kill in the hotel so really liked having free access to English channels, movies, etc.
-Sea View Room. Paid for the "Deluxe Sea View Room" as it sounded worth it. Wasn't really deluxe and the view is from a small window.... but the view was very nice (when standing at the window) and indeed across the street from the sea. Also, the room was strangely quiet given the noise in the hall. Finally, the AC and fan always worked well so I was comfortable. I think it was very worth the extra charge.

Cons
- Breakfast. The breakfast comes with the room so I can't complain too much but it was pretty sad. Probably the worst coffee on earth. It is self serve which is fine but there was also a strange situation with the toaster which is ancient and always seemed about to explode. One of the hotel staff was worried about letting anyone else touch it and would run over and intercept toast retreival each time. Suggest they invest in a new toaster.
- Housekeeping. The room was in fine shape when I arrived. Given, the blankets and surfaces have seen better days but seemed clean. However, after day 3 the room had never been cleaned and was really beginning to need it. I asked very nicely at the desk if it could be cleaned and was treated like I had asked for a huge favor. They also had to keep my key for the day in order to clean the room. So maybe this isn't standard practice? There was no charge for the housekeeping so I don't know what the plan is there.
- Moth balls. The room smelled like it. A lot. All my stuff (including my vinal suitcase) still smell like moth balls a week after my return. Not. Pleasant.
- Car too/from airport. They charged me 3000 rupees which seemed reasonable up front. However, the driver was late and the car not air conditioned/a remotely safe or pleasant vehicle. Also, when I enquired about the return cab they didn't realize that I prepaid and said I could expect to pay around 400-700 rupees depending upon air conditioning? So, I guess I got ripped off. I know it costs more for pick up because they are supposed to wait around for you but it still seems like I paid too much. I would suggest negotiating this price for them or getting an airport approved cab. Cab drivers in Mumbai tend not to know where anything is but they all know the Taj which is very close to the S.P. so you could ask for that. Or at least only pay for the arrival from airport.

All in all - I wouldn't rule out a return to the S.P. if I could not find a better deal but it isn't something I would look forward to either.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank JennyK24
Mumbai
Reviewed June 30, 2010

The sea palace hotel is located just a stones throw away from the gateway of India. I stayed in a room on the topmost floor and the view of the sea from my room was unforgettable. The room size was moderate. But the only drawback of this hotel is the food. The breakfast spread is meagre. The cafe on the ground floor has great views too but the food is not good.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Oregon
Reviewed May 8, 2010

First room we were in had (painted over) mold all over the walls and smelled like moth balls. We complained and were upgraded to a sea view room that was better but still smelled. Location is great, but it is expensive and dingy.

• Stayed April 2009
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 30, 2010

Excellent location, right on the Arabian Sea in the Colaba district. The only rooms that are good are the end rooms. The rest --- especially those in the back --- are dismal. Staff seems engaged in serving their customers, but there's a lot of miscommunication and confusion. Still trying to get them to sort out my double billing and it's been a month.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo