“Dirty hovel”
Review of Pals Hotel

Pals Hotel
Ranked #274 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
“Dirty hovel”
Reviewed October 13, 2010

I was planning to stay there for 3 nights, but only stayed 1 and checked out. Porters were constantly milling about outside my door which made me feel quite unsafe. The stairwells were filthy, you get accustomed to dirt in India but this was in a league of it's own.
The staff on the check in desk were awful, they couldn't find my booking initially, I wish they never had!
I had to buy a card to use the internet in my room, and it never worked.
I left my curtains closed because the view outside was ghastly.
I'm well aware that it's cheap, but I still feel it's overpriced. There's no excuse for a hotel being dirty, certainly not with so many stuff wandering around, and manners cost nothing!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank KeithAubin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
calcutta
Reviewed September 9, 2010

The front desk people were extremely uncourteous and unprofessional. The reception, stairs were shabby and poorly kept. Except for a couple of members of the staff who were helpful most of the others were indifferent! The room (on the third floor) was poorly kept, dusty, shabby and the curtains and linen were soiled. I had to request the attendant to change it instantly which he did rather unwillingly. Tea was served in cracked cups and when pointed they turned a deaf ear!! The toilet was dirty but the cleaner boy was nice and helpful.
However the location was good and it was easy to commute to different places in Mumbai thanks to the service of a local cab driver.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

4 Thank everlearning

Travelers are raving about these Mumbai (Bombay) hotels

Ajmer, India
Reviewed August 26, 2010

My stay at this hotel was booked by my colleague as it is near to Byculla where he lives. I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. The exterior of the hotel boasts loudly of it being a budget hotel. For offline mode the payment has to be strictly made in cash as the hotel does not accept Credit/Debit Card.
My room (Superior AC) was on third floor. The elevator is old-fashioned type with channel gates. The room was full of smoke, courtesy of the previous guest who I believe left the hotel in a hurry as he did not even flushed the toilet after using it and what could I expect from the management as the linen was being changed after I checked in. A small soap cake was the one and only item as far as the free toiletries are concerned. I left that day for a business meeting and came back later in the evening to find females with overdone make-up (I guess four) passed by me during my endeavor to reach my room through stairs as the lovely old fashioned elevator was not working.
Next morning, when I was front desk, I was enlightened with the knowledge that hotel also provide rooms for short duration as confirmed by the front desk guy in my presence to an inquiry by a visitor. (No points for guessing who the strange looking females of last night were.)
The very same night as I overheard noises (mostly of a girl) from the adjacent room to authenticate that the hotel rents room for short time so people can have their way with the fairer sex as the room was vacant the very next morning.
I would advise people to avoid this property as you never know what assumption would be made of you if there is some local police checking/raid etc.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
19 Thank mangalgm
Australia
Reviewed November 28, 2007

Stayed here for our first few nights in India. It is an average hotel, a bit dark on the inside with quite dodgy carpet. Average bathroom with hot running water. Biggest downfall was the location - about 100Rs in a taxi to get to Colaba. We paid about 1000Rs (from memory) per night.

On our return to Mumbai we did not stay there, and I would recommend that if you are looking for somewhere close to the heart of Mumbai then try somewhere else.

• Liked — It was easily booked through the website, and it was an average price
  • Disliked — It's location
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
13 Thank kjcaspersmith