“Good for India”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Pearl
“Good for India”
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a week as a base for exploring Mumbai. Located in Chembur, a nice area, but a 30-min train ride to central Mumbai which is a little stressful to do every day. Rooms were pretty standard for India, lots of English TV channels, roof fan, desk etc. Rooms were clean by Indian standards. Staff were helpful with travel queries, advice etc. Some basic but cheap food provided, as well as complimentary toiletries. Hotel owner also recommended a local restaurant, Sadgurus, which was phenomenal. Good 2nd hand English bookshop next to the hotel which was a great find. Only downside was price (but still good value for Mumbai) and lack of wifi in rooms (only available in lobby).

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank David G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Taurisano
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Once this was a pretty hotel. But it looks that it has had very little maintenance since its early days. It is "economical" but do not expect much. The staff make up with their goodwill and help. This is a hotel for real people and not for prissy westerners. Unless I have business in Chembur I do not think I will return.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Marcello1944
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed August 11, 2011

The setting was a bad first impression; it was quite seedy, and roaming packs of dogs in the vicinity didn't set a good standard. However, inside, it was quite clean, including the rooms.
The only problem with the stay, is that even for a budget option it was overpriced; the rooms were very cheap; very poor quality bedding. The bathroom was grotty - don't use the shower curtains!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank mistermordancy

Travelers are raving about these Mumbai (Bombay) hotels

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed January 5, 2011

On the whole, the stay was cmfortable. Not so clean place. Jus ok for budget travel. Management adn staff friendly. Had promised that no extra charges to be paid for hireing taxi. But on check out the guard instructed us to pay the taxi Rs200/- to go to airport, and not by Meter which upset us as mumbai is good for metered taxis and autos.His behaviour was very arrogant. When we refused he off loaded the luggage from the taxi.
Normally when you hire taxi from Hotels in Mumbai they charge an exorbitant flat rate especially if you are going to airport.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Had an enjoyable stay in hotel pearl. Staff were friendly and honest. They showed a genuine business ethic and requirement to seek feedback showed they cared about customer opinion. Hotel is a bit far out but near a train station. Prices reflect this. It was decent accomodation by Indian standards. Not having wifi was a little annoying but theu said they were in process of getting it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Pune
Reviewed February 5, 2010

I had stayed in this hotel for 3 days. The room service was good and the room boys were courteous. But I was stunned at the behavior of the management. On the day I was checking out, I had informed the reception about it. My colleague had to go out before me and I was taking bath. I received a call from down that they were not letting my colleague to leave bcoz they told we have to clear the bill first. I explained that he had to go for some urgent work and I am still in the room with luggage. I told I am taking bath and will come down in 10 minutes. They told it is not possible and they forcefully detained my colleague. I had to go down clad in a bath towel and settle the bill before my they let my colleague go..

Heard anywhere else like this ? If you are even thinking to stay in this hotel, my strong advice is to stay away from this joint. The manager's name I believe was Abdul. The most arrogant person I have ever met in my life.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Thomas_Chacko
Oslo
Reviewed December 25, 2009

We arrived after having searched quite a while. The building looks nothing like a hotel from the outside, but we called the hotel and had the night mgr give the cab driver instructions.
When we arrived, the reservation was wrong, so we ended up with a non-ac room.
As I was walking into the room, I made a comment to my travel buddy that the sheets were filthy. As if the bellboy understood my native Norwegian, he ran off to get new sheets. As i was very happy with this, I gave him a tip, 10 rps, which led to him running once again; this time coming back with stark white, unused towels and sheets. :)
In general the room and ensuite bathroom were not clean, but we managed to stay for the 2 days we needed to be in Chembur.
Th neighborhood is nice, and there plenty of shops and eateries nearby, but for Mumbai sightseeing it is in my eyes too far from town.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends