“Le Sutra Lives Up To Its Label”

Le Sutra - The Indian Art Hotel
Ranked #19 of 454 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Washington, DC
“Le Sutra Lives Up To Its Label”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Bandra is ground zero for Bollywood chic, and Le Sutra smacks of all the artsy playfulness that its location deserves. Situated in a neighborhood that is a real party scene for young Indians with newfound wealth, Le Sutra is just a few blocks from the waterfront where you can walk the promenade along the Arabian Sea. If paying a fortune for a posh hotel dripping with tourists near the Gateway of India is not your thing – and if you are reading this review, then it most certainly is not – then consider a stay in this more interesting spot.

The bed of my Maya room disappointed as it was merely a single mattress on the floor, but the rest of the room was stylish enough to compensate for it. And in the end, what matters is the kind of rest that you have after the hustle and bustle of a day in Mumbai. So as long as you bring earplugs and set the overhead fan to a busy whirl, you’ll sleep just fine.

When the plumbing conked out in my room it took a few hours to provide me with a new one, which hadn’t exactly been cleaned from the guest before. But remember, this is India, and Le Sutra has to be respected for giving it such a solid try.

Elect for an Indian breakfast and ignore the “English-style eggs,” settling in for an early morning burn. It’s a pity that your masala chai is accompanied by Western music blaring obnoxiously right in the heart of the Hindi film industry, but Le Sutra isn’t the first to make this mistake.

Only a few kilometers away my Indian friends snuck me into one of the smaller Bollywood studios, where I was able to watch a set being built and a famous character actor engaging with his fans. Shortly after, we ran into a film crew near the sea that was just about to wrap up. The giant cables and cameras reminded me of living in Los Angeles, and I couldn’t help but smile at the thought that Bollywood has long been the largest film industry in the world. Despite its rough patches, Le Sutra lives up to its label.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
GM_LeSutra, Front Office Manager at Le Sutra - The Indian Art Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2017

Greetings form Le Sutra!

Thank you so much for your feedback further to your stay with us. I have shared your positive sentiments with all my colleagues at the hotel and the entire team feels motivated. We are glad you liked the entire hotel especially the decor, the team, the spacious rooms, and the services we provide.

Le Sutra - The Indian Art Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Turkish first
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Pros
1. Location
2. Airport near
3. Tons of eating options good .
Cons
1. Didn't get the room they promised even after booking 2 weeks in advance
2. Electric points were not working
3. Bathroom not the cleanest
4. Didn't have telephone line as it was broken too

I don't recommend it after spending 180.00 usd a night

• Stayed February 2013

Greetings form Le Sutra!

Thank you for contacting us for the enclosed matter below. First, we would like to express our deepest regret for the inconvenience caused by this unintentional and rare mistake. We are sorry that hotel did not satisfy you. and we assure you that your complaint will be handled in a strict and serious way. We take full responsibility for the error and we guarantee that such incidents will not occur in the future.
We value your business and we would like to retain you as a customer. Please accept our apologies. Thank you for your understanding in this unfortunate matter.

Cape Town
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed at Le Sutra 7 and 8 Jan 2013. Our flight arrived at midnight and the hotel was ready to check us in when we arrived around 1am. I don't remember our room number but I think it's the "honeymoon" room with the kamasutra-like painting on the ceiling above the bed, and a chair shaped like a phallus under a lamp shaped like a vagina. Interesting touches, but this didn't make up for the grunge feel of the room: the sheets felt old and worn and looked gray (they should've been white). The lighting was impossible to use -- we had to call up a technician to help us switch off the lights at night because if we turned off one light, another came on! There were so many different switches all over the room and there was no logic to their placement! And we also needed help working the TV because there were two remotes and you had to know a combination of buttons to press in order to get to the different channels (hundreds and hundreds of them!!). The bath/shower was also inconvenient because, in order to turn on the shower, you had to get into the bath and then have a burst of cold water spray on you while it got warm cos it was difficult to get out the bath because of the glass screen.

Oh dear, all these complaints! We actually didn't mind all these oddities about the hotel because the general vibe outside was great. We were apparently booked to eat at Olive, but weren't able to because there was a Bollywood party there. So we stood outside with the media and watched, excitely, as the stars arrived in their fancy cars. It was a lot of fun!

The breakfast at Le Sutra was not great: poor selection and the food was not tasty. I ordered the eggs and they were not cooked well, and what I tasted from the buffet wasn't great, either.

Although Bandra is a great happening place, it felt too much in the suburbs, and we wanted to feel the vibe of downtown Mumbai. Later in our trip we stayed in South Mumbai and loved being in that location. It takes about an hour from Bandra to South Mumbai, and that is just too long. We stayed in Le Sutra to be close to the airport, but it really didn't feel like such a time saver (I think about 30 minutes from Le Sutra to the airport vs 1 hour from South Mumbai to the airport).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2013

After returning to Mumbai from chilled out Goa, we tried another area of the city, Bandra. To our surprise this was the place to be! When we arrived at Le Sutra we immediately realised it was in the middle of what we thought was the London equivalent of Soho! The Hotel staff were friendly, warm and nothing was too much trouble. The room was different but in an inspiring way. The hotel overlooked the restaurant 'Olive' which we went to for dinner and loved. If you need a bit of city chic, Le Sutra has it covered.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was my perfect ease into hectic Mumbai and what an amazing experience. We loved the concept of the rooms and the staff could not do enough to help us. We were looking for wedding sarees and they pointed us in the right direction. If they didn't know something they would find out. The restaurant Out of the Blue was also excellent and the desserts incredible. We stayed in the Prakriti room which was just perfect for us as it was very grounding as we were about to get married in Goa. After trapsing around hectic Mumbai all day, coming back to our little piece of heaven Le Sutra was wonderful. We will definitely stay here again next visit to Mumbai and try out another room and concept. We also had the opportunity to meet the owner who is a fascinating, lovely and humble man who gave us a wonderful parting gift. He also gave us more detail on the concept of the hotel and the artists involved. What a great story. I wish we had time to experience the spa. I can rave about this lovely find all day, but seriously if you want to spoil yourselves or even just have a safe and peaceful place to stay in Mumbai, stay here, it is well worth the money. I wish the hotel every success in the future - keep up the great work!

Room Tip: We loved the Prakriti room, but check out the website and choose the room that will suit you and you...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I was city hopping with my cousin for the first time, and when in Mumbai we decided to stay in and around Bandra for a night. The choices for our need and value led us to Le Sutra. At the time, the best room available amongst the ones was Ravana. We had a good deal with 24-hour check-in, check-out timing which suited our itinerary perfectly. Do keep an eye on the website, they come up with good deals at occasions.

Possibly the best unique accommodation in Khar and around, I would suggest Le Sutra for its charm. The location is very convenient just off Carter road, but not as impressive as the concept and their philosophy should deserve.

Unless you are bound by a package or are lazy, there are better food options nearby in Bandra, Pali Hill, in fact next door or around the corner. The spa looked well equipped, although we did not have the time to try.

At the time of my visit, I was disappointed that the hotel being themed as is, they did not host any art residency program. But, don't miss the souvenirs while you check out, which are miniscule paraphernalia of the hotel itself crafted by many artists. You could visit their gallery if inclined to viewing or collecting some art. The staff is accommodating and will cater to your needs precisely.

I wish the management the best in their endeavours.

Thanks, Smiles and Cheers..

Room Tip: Each room is totally different, so choose likewise..
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
GM_LeSutra, Front Office Manager at Le Sutra - The Indian Art Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2017
Dear Guest

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Well prices are the same as Sahara or Grand Hyatt, so don't book this if you are travelling budget. I was alloted the a honeymoon room with a see-through bathroom: and I was staying there with my 19 year old sun and had booked the Ravana room.

But what made up for the mix-up was the attitude of the staff at the reception. Such a friendly and helpful lot! He changed my room by getting me another late at night, organised a complimentary sandwich and milk at 4 AM since we were off for the Mumbai Marathon and made us feel at home in every way.

The food at the Blue restaurant, attached to this hotel has exceptional food at affordable prices.

Room Tip: I'd suggest that even if you are booking on-line, call up in advance and freeze your room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family