“Oasis in the chaos”
Review of Hotel Kumkum

Hotel Kumkum
Ranked #68 of 484 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We visited Hotel Kumkum recently and were very impressed. The area is quite manic, and the outside is not the prettiest, however, once inside all your perceptions will change. The place is stylish, clean, and modern whilst retaining the feel of a heritage building. The room we had, with my partner and 2 year old son, was perfect size and well designed.
The big selling point is the rooftop terrace - in a city like Mumbai room to breathe and having dome much needed head space is essential. The cafe made awesome and reasonably priced Indian vegetarian food, which we ate at most nights.
Beyond all this it is Chirag and his brother that put the icing on the cake. They are welcoming, helpful, and decent guys and we fully appreciated everything they did for us (helping me get Indian mobile, booking onward train, site seeing advice etc). If in Mumbai again we would definitely stay here.
Neil Maggs & Luanda Cataldi

Stayed: January 2014
Cmody, Owner at Hotel Kumkum, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you Luanda and Neil for the wonderful review. I'm very glad that you were comfortable and hope you had a great holiday in India.

The terrace is something all our guests appreciate and we're lucky to have that open space in a crowded city like Mumbai. We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

No prior booking, went there straight from the airport based on some quick internet search and the reviews were good. They were fully booked but the gentleman at the reception asked me to wait a few minutes. They arranged a room for me because one booking didnt show up and i ended up staying two nights instead of a planned one night only.
Cook on the roof makes your meal in front of you and mine tasted great.
Indian gentleman at the reception speaks perfect english and he will help you out with whatever youll need to arrange: sim card, train ticket, ...
On my flight out from Mumbai Im definitely returning to Kumkum. The locasion is great between three train stations and the trip from the airport cost me 470r.

• Stayed: February 2014

Thank you for the wonderful review and see you soon on your return journey back home.

Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Finding a decent place in the downtown to stay for cheap was difficult to find in Bombay. Kumkum was the perfect escape from the craziness of the city. The rooms are small but have what you need and I enjoyed the coziness. The rooftop restaurant was a great spot to chill and unwind after galavanting through the hectic streets of the city.

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We aim to cater to clients who appreciate the same aspects that you have mentioned positively and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Rooms are simple but clean and neat - and so is the hotel. Perfect view from a nice rooftop terrace while having breakfast and a cup of tasty chai from the hotel-cafeteria. the staff is very friendly and helpful. Location is good, hotel is situated between two trainstations (grant st. and mumbai central). Nevertheless you can hear the honking from the crazy streets of Mumbai, but that's everywhere the case...

Room Tip: Choose a room directed to the backyard to get a less noisy room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cmody, Owner at Hotel Kumkum, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Thank you for the positive review.
Our staff does try to provide the best service possible and I'm glad you have appreciated that.
Noise is an unfortunate by product of staying in Mumbai and as we are located in a very central area it is definitely something we cannot avoid.
I agree that the rooms at the back are definitely quieter and more insulated from the sound.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Ok, first of all. Yes, the hotel is in a good location, the rooms are clean and safe. The staff in the kitchen is really nice and the food is good. and here goes the story, we arrived at 1.30 in the morning. on arrival the three of us needed to fill out forms + check in (that could have been done in the morning, right?), it got even more complicated as my partner and me came from bangkok via kolkata to mumbai and my mother straight from europe. The recipionist wanted explanation, but with his limited english and my non-existent hindhi, it was really hard to explain it to him and is was wondering if that is kind of interview to get the rooms. after 30 mins. or so we were finally handed the keys to our pre-booked super deluxe double room (it really looked quite nice on their homepage). it was a twin. as we are in asia, and people are smart, the two beds have just been pushed together. nevermind the crack in the middle. Just as I was falling asleep the telephone next to me rang. The recipionist. If I could pay the pre-arranged airport pick up NOW!? yeah, of course, no worries, I got up, dressed again and handed over the money. maybe he was concerned that we might run away during the night. that was our first taste of the hotel (on the day we left we met two other travel groups with similiar experiences) And from there on every other contact made to the staff was a bit of a dissapointment as they all seemed to be terribly bored and annoyed of anything. and there is nothing worse in a hotel then to feel like an unwelcomed guest (and said that, the kitchen staff was not like that at all!) I was wondering all the time where the managers were, those who write comments (probably also under this review) in the finest english...
during my 3 years of travelling now, I NEVER stayed in a place like this and hopefully never will.

Room Tip: don`t take room 103. It`s facing the street wit two windows and unless you are used to noise you won...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Laudimuc

Hi Markus

I am very sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. Some of the points that you have raised are valid and we will surely improve on that.
Regarding the long check in process I have personally checked the security tapes and it took only 16 minutes from your time of entering the hotel till you got your room. I do understand that after a late arrival that may seem long but it was not 30 minutes as you have mentioned.
There are certain processes set by the Government of India which we cannot avoid, and yes coming from Europe I do understand that they may seem inconvenient but we have to follow them.

Regarding the reviews they are posted by myself and my brother both of whom speak pretty good english and I hope you remember that we had a brief chat the day after you checked in.
If there was such an inconvenience you could have brought it to my notice and I would definitely sort it out and we do really want to provide our guests the best possible experience as it is mentioned in our welcome letter to all our guests.

I hope you give us another chance and I personally assure you of the best possible service from our side which will surely change your perception.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

A friend sent me a link to this hotel, and I selected it based on the TA reviews. It lived up to all my expectations. The reviews stated that it is clean, safe, in a nice neighborhood, and this was all true.

Our room was basic, but very clean. The staff was always friendly and helpful. I made my reservation via email with the owner, and everything was handled very efficiently.

Our room was a bit small for our family of four – but we were the ones who chose to stay in one room, so I can’t register that as a complaint. For a couple it would be absolutely fine. The owner actually offered us several options for our family, and we chose the cheapest ;)

My only reservation about this place before coming was that I felt the location was not ideal. But even this proved to wash away as we stayed there. It was a nice change to be able to step outside and be on a shady, relaxing street in a nondescript neighborhood rather than a heavily touristed area.

Lots of western tourists here, probably a good place to hang out and chat with people. The hotel would do well to make a slightly larger lounge area for people to do their wifi. I would definitely come back here again if visiting Mumbai.

===============================

Background of my trip through India: my wife and I traveled with our two kids, ages 6 & 7, through India for five weeks in Dec 2013/Jan 2014. On two legs of our trip we hired a car and driver, and took trains and taxis for the other parts of the trip. We are Americans, but live outside of the US in a third world country. When looking for a hotel, cleanliness is a prime consideration for us, followed by location and price. I always appreciate a place that appears to have friendly and responsive management. We consider ourselves to be ‘budget travelers’, but now that we have kids and are more fastidious about cleanliness, we have upped the budget a bit and no longer go for the absolute cheapest option that Lonely Planet and/or Trip Advisor have to offer.

On our trip through Rajasthan, we were rather cold during the evenings and found rooftop/outdoor restaurants to be often to chilly to eat in. Not that it is so incredibly cold in Rajasthan, but we live in a hot climate, so we have become unaccustomed to it being so cold.

When we were with a car and driver, we stayed at hotels for 1-2 night in each city, and the hotel was chosen for us by the tour agency, so we were not aware of the price of the room. However, the quality of the rooms was comparable to what we would have chosen anyways. To give you an idea of our budgetary considerations, in Delhi, Goa, and Mumbai, we were paying about 2000-2900 rupees per night for our family of four, often in a room with one large bed, or a medium size bed with a mattress on the floor, or sometimes three twin-sized beds. Outside of these cities, this type of room seemed to be priced at 1500-2000.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Joe_Schlabotnik
Cmody, Owner at Hotel Kumkum, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Hi Joe

Thank you for the great review. It really encourages us to do better.

We have tried looking at ways expand the lounge but currently don't have any space to do so. Our cafe also has wifi access which is quite spacious to accommodate our guests.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Having stayed in numerous hotels in Mumbai on different trips, I have to say that Hotel KumKum is easily the best budget option I have found. For around 1500 a night I got a spotlessly clean single room, hot water, and a comfortable bed, with good service - unheard of in Mumbai for this price!

The hotel also has a good rooftop cafe. Location is good - walking distance to Grant Road station gives good access to Colaba and Fort as well as the Western suburbs, Bandra etc.

In a city like Mumbai where good hotels at a good price are hard to find the KumKum is my new place of choice

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Markv_1983
Cmody, Owner at Hotel Kumkum, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Hi Mark

Thank you for the great review. It really encourages us when travellers like yourself appreciate all the attributes that we have tried to incorporate in our hotel.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you again soon.