“Perfect location but totally overpriced for the value”
Review of Hotel Diplomat

Hotel Diplomat
Ranked #329 of 486 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed there 2 nights in Jan and we only chose this hotel for the location, just a 2 min-walk from the Taj Mahal Hotel. We paid more than 100 USD for a night and it was totally overpriced. The bathroom was dirty and full of ants so we had to change room. Even though the staff was helpful in that situation, we did not enjoy our stay there. We felt like the staff was always expecting tips. The AC in the room was very noisy. The beds were okay but the bed sheets could have been much cleaner. The breakfast was average.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Caroline N

Reviewed April 8, 2013

old fittings,rooms,services..disaster!
the bathrooms are very unhygenic.
rooms unsafe.no latches.no proper closures.
not suitable for single women travellers..or families.ac's are very noisy.rooms unclean.
ant attack could be expected in all rooms.bathrooms are smelly and leaky.only thing good is location.lobbies are too noisy and scary.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ravidev93
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I visited this hotel in February and thought that due to the area it was situated, right behind the magnificent Taj Mahal Hotel, it would come up to scratch. How wrong can one be. Dirty, dismal staff and no ambiance whatsoever.
When I went for breakfast the next morning I had to ask if what was laid out in front of me was really breakfast. A rather disgusting looking of mish mash vaguely resembling a buffet except without a real choice.
I abandoned that and went over to the Taj for the most amazing breakfast. Although the breakfast cost almost the same amount as the room in the Diplomat, it was well worth it.The pampering service and the food was out of this world and I did not need lunch.
Anyway going back to the Diplomat, I decided to check out and found a fab place called the
Fort Residency which is where I will stay on my future trips to Mumbai. Highly recommended, but stay well clear of the Hotel Diplomat.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel with my wife from 23rd Feb,2013 to 9th March,2013 & I must say that I will never regret my decision of staying in such an awesome hotel. The following points will reflect my awesome experience :-

1) The location of hotel in itself is of the greatest advantage as it is situated right in front of Taj Starbucks. You can have a view of Gateway of India & the sea.

2) It is situated in one of the famous areas of Mumbai & one can definitely enjoy the charm of being in the oldest areas of the city having the feeling of British Raj.

3) The hotel rooms are spacious & very clean with all amenities that a family require.

4) The staff is polite & well-mannered with quick service & helped us during luggage stacking on the taxi.

5) The food quality is good & tasty especially Indian food.

I strongly recommend this hotel for a calm & peaceful family stay in Mumbai.

Have Fun

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is a small, somewhat dilapidated and dirty hotel,, with very nice staff, in a great location. You are right behind the wonderful TAJ hotel a block from the waterfront in the midst of the commercial center that has grown up in around this tourst center.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Location was good, reception personal was friendly, sevice personal made a face as if they would work only if you gave them something and also acted accordingly, no help offered during luggage stacking on the taxi, airconditioner was very loud unbearable for calm sleep, fan was unbalanced and very loud at normal speed, windows had no transperant curtains so no daylight was possible, no final bill was presented after paying the bill, the price for single occupancy of a double room was much too high, no breakfast package was offered for guests leaving before 7:30 (breakfasttime) although the price for breakfast was included in the room price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This hotel has a lot to recommend it - a great location within walking distance of interesting sights, a friendly security guard at the door, the morning paper slipped under the door of your room....but the standard of the rooms themselves is not great. Mouldy walls, grim views from the window, thin and nasty bed covers - all of this I am happy to put up with in a cheap hotel but, for me, this hotel is expensive and I expected something a lot better. I booked through booking.com but when I arrived I discovered that I was paying the walk-in-off-the-street price with no discount at all. There must be much nicer places near-by for the same price. I don't imagine it would cost much more for a standard room in the Taj Mahal Palace.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple