“Poor value for money”
Review of Strand Hotel

Strand Hotel
Ranked #305 of 465 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed September 18, 2011

On arrival the manger at front desk was very grumpy and unpleasant despite us already having a booking online.
Room was clean enough but for the price of the room (around Rs.3500/night) it could have been much cleaner.
Our shower head had 4 streams coming out of it which i had to fix with a pin.
The basin tap would not turn off. Despite telling service staff this it was not repaired during our stay and therefore flowed the whole time we where there.
Service staff were friendly, however the manager of the service staff told us how much she wanted for a tip and visited our room multiple times just to ask for a tip. We are always happy to tip any good friendly service however we don't appreciate being told how much to tip someone before we get a chance to offer.
The food in the restaurant was ok and the waiter there was very pleasant and helpful.
Rooms were large enough.
Overall: Not worth the amount charged. We wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WanderingOzzi

Reviewed August 12, 2011

It is a wonderful location to stay at Mumbai, and considering the rates it is not so costly too. ....You are staying a look away from The Taj mahal and Gate way of India. Facilities are vintage and probably the maintenance is just for sustenance. Services are hardly any to offer than the dire necessities. But of course it is a happening place all around.

Room Tip: sea facing
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ramesh2712
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Very nice hotel , small rooms but still very clean and well maintained , very good view of gate way of India from luxury & executive rooms , They have transfer service from Airport to Hotel..Staff is old but well mannered.

Good food to eat on good rate..

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We switched from the Apollo Hotel 2 streets down the road to the Strand Hotel. It was better priced then the Apollo Hotel and we had a far better view accross the sea. Staff was decent and we did not have problems with asking for tips etc. Trust me, in the whole of North India they demand tips and money from (caucasian foreigners), so this was an exception.

We made fun of the cockroaches in our room and bathroom *tip* put a towel in the bathtub, because the cockroaches come up through the bathtub. Beds were decent. Indians do not understand the concept of cleaning though, just that you know.

Location is good and the Harbour View Hotel has a nice restaurant on the roof terrace!
Price/quality is decent, because we were staying at the Apollo hotel 2 streets down the road before and it was much worse and by far more expensive. Breakfast is good!

Conclusion: just for a couple of days.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Ewansink
Reviewed May 13, 2011

Staying at the Strand was the worst decision I made in Mumbai. The man at the reception desk was the most smarmy looking I’ve ever seen and he told me that the price of over 4000 rupees per night (excluding breakfast) included wi-fi. I later found out after checking in that their wi-fi had not worked in months!)

The room itself was of a large size, but the furniture and general décor was last updated about thirty or forty years ago. The walls had water and mould stains which made the room have a strong musty smell.

I was unsure whether the floor had been swept from previous occupations as there
was deeply ingrained dirt in the skirting-boards and corners of the room.

The bathroom was as old-style as the sleeping area and there was very little in the way of toiletries.

There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the room which is outrageous given the inflated nightly charge for the accommodation. I therefore ordered tea from room service and although the tea was brought in less than ten minutes, the tea was in a rather dirty and shabby looking flask, I was in fear of catching the dreaded “delhi belly”. The cup and saucer was brown in colour but that did not disguise the equally old and badly cared for condition of the cup.

On my first night, I came back to the hotel at about 10.00pm tired and hot only to find that the hot water had been turned off sometime that day. My major pre-occupation for the rest of my stay after that was to get back to the hotel early enough before the hot water was turned off!!

However, all was not all bad at the strand. The location is perfect for tourists and if you get a sea-facing room such as I did, the view of the sea is very beautiful... just hold your breath as you open the curtains as they release a blanket of dust when touched not to mention the fact that they seemed to have been last washed in the 20th century!

The owner of the hotel is a middle-aged woman and she was just as unfriendly and smarmy as her male receptionist employee. I quickly found out that the people at the reception desk were not willing to give me back change when I paid for my accommodation. I had to continually ask for my change and it was given to me with such reluctance and bad grace it was as if I was not entitled to my own change! Also watch out for rounding up of costs by the reception, I twice had to stand my ground and refuse to pay the higher amount asked of me (which the lady had rounded up to her advantage)

The Strand seems to have a large number of staff who seemed to be continuously sitting on the stair case waiting for me to appear and then they would ask me to "remember" them when I checked out. The feeling of being continually hounded for tips was especially annoying as I had been charged way over the odds by the management of the hotel yet its staff seemed to be desperately looking for extra money.

All in all, the Strand Hotel has very few positives and those that are there (location, sea-view) are not of the proprietor’s making. I would never recommend the Strand Hotel, not in a million years.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lizzie052011
Reviewed May 13, 2011

After staying in some nice hotels in other parts of India, some cheaper than the Strand, we got a bit of a surprise at just how unclean and unkempt a hotel charging approx. 100 USD a night can be!!
All the previous foreign based reviews (hint) are accurate- the staff must be underpaid, even by Indian standards, they always had their hands out for a tip, especially at the reception/ front door. The housekeeping staff didn't do that, but then again, they didn't clean the rooms much either...
The room was musty, had a layer of dust in every corner, crevice...the toiletries were on ration and the AC seemed like it had been shoved into a hole hacked into the wall...which pigeons seemed to have a nest in...so you'd wake up in the morning to the sweet sound of multiple pigeons making noise through the vents of the AC system...

The restaurant looked like it hadnt seen much action in the past couple of decades...while a few floors up the Harbour View had a lovely restaurant with helpful staff, decent prices and a great view...luckily we discovered it after only 1 day...

The views from the front are good, as is location, but as experiences go, this hotel definitely rates very near the bottom...

Just climb the stairs 2 floors and its like a whole other world!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Yes that is one word I would used as title for this hotel. I was attracted to it by the location and decide to stay one night there. I had to pay upfront and the lady boss give me a receipt, not realising that I have to return the receipt when I checked out. I was given a room right at the back because they told me its full. I trusted them, but hell no, its was to put in a room no one want. As I hardly in, during the day and don't have much time to look around and decide to extend for another day and tehy told me fully book and no other room. No a big issue. But problem will come in when I came back at night. The night recept ask me to pay for the second night. I paid and he didn't issue me a receipt. When I called from my room and ask him for the receipt he told me to give him the previous receipt in exchange for the second night one. What rubbish? I went down and he give me a printed statement of account instead of a receipt that he had received cash from me. Not satisfied and went to the room again to pick up my first receipt and show it to him. I had to tell him that this receipt is for me to proof that I had paid to you and not for him to keep. I raise my voice and this time round there was another recept there and he finally give it to me. Next day when I checked out true enough the boss ask for the 2 receipt that I had paid to them, without that I had to pay another night. Imagine if I had trusted him. My advice avoid this hotel by all means. Why? On the second night when I ask for a bottle of complimentary water like the first day, I was billed for this bottle of water. It doesn't cost much, but to get billed for it as room service and the boss told me complimentary drink only provide for the first day but not the second day. I ask her what if I stary 5 days there. She ignore me, because she know I will never come back again. Thats the trestment you get. So she cannot blame me for reviewing the real fact I face. The night recept even demand for 100RP tip before the receipt incident and the bottle of drink. Greed!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo