“Fine - but bothersome staff”
Review of SeaShore Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mumbai (Bombay)
SeaShore Hotel
Ranked #5 of 398 Mumbai (Bombay) B&B and Inns
Cardiff, Wales
“Fine - but bothersome staff”
Reviewed April 14, 2011

This hotel was fine really - for 830 rupees a night I got a double room with a TV, a fan and a great view of the sea from my window. It was clean and the shared bathrooms - none of the rooms have their own bathrooms - were well looked after.

The problem came on the first morning when I got a knock at my door at 8.30am, asking if I was staying in my room that night. The reason I was asked was that someone wanted the double room - I was travelling alone - which isn't bad in itself. But being woken up in the morning was pretty rude, all considered. When I popped out I was then quizzed about what I was doing the next couple of nights - i told them I might be staying - and then when I decided to check out and stay at a friend's I was given more grief at reception for not staying. If you absolutely must stay in Colaba this is OK but I probably won't go back there again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank saesneg

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2011

We stayed here for three nights before going home and found it to be better than we had expected. We opted for the cheaper no window fan room and it was clean and comfortable. The shared bathrooms were also very clean and nicely furnished.

The staff were nice and helpful and we also had a TV in our room (although most of the channels didn't work which was very bizzare but there were movies.)

The only issue would be that the room got incredibly hot and the fan was either low or high and really loud so as soon as it started warming up in the morning you had to get up. Other than that I would definitely recommend this hotel but beware as always people will try and tell you it's booked up or it's not there etc. It's on the fourth floor of a building through a small stair alleyway so look out for that!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank dv912
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2011

We needed a cheap hotel for the night as we were leaving for an early train to Goa. I found this place by borrow someone's lonely planet book at CST as we were getting our train tickets. It was right by The Gateway of India. We had twin beds and a fan. It had no windows and shared showers, but we really liked it here, I think because they gave us great service and it was so so cheap.
They were very fast getting us cold bottles of water and arranging our very early taxi to the train station. A guy slept in the reception area so he could let us out.
Also, a younger boy who checked us in apparently charged us too much, and an older guy came to our room to explain and refund the money, which was very honest of him.
Great for a cheap, one night stay

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CHARBobo
Dublin
Reviewed February 17, 2011

Looks awful from the outside but is actually quite clean inside. Room was tiny but did the job and bed was ok, not too uncomfortable. Fan was vital as it was quite hot in the room. Had a shared bathroom - cold water showers but this is quite common in India. Really good location.The guy presumably owned it 9he was there every day) was very helpful and informative. 7 mins to the Gate of India and 10/15 mins to the Colaba Causeway (main street). Very easy to get a taxi from here and there are a few decent internet cafes close by.
Good value and decent stay for backpackers.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank chivasd
St George Ranges. WA
Reviewed January 14, 2011

If you are looking for a budget option to stay at this is the place to go to. It certainly lacks the comfort of big chain hotels but that is probably why you are in India in the first place. Some people have reported problems with bedbugs I just want to state here that I did not have any problems.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank pamella05
Derby, UK
Reviewed November 5, 2010

We paid 800 for our room which didn't have a window, door handle or aircon which was fairly steep even for mumbai. Our sheets were dirty but we slept in our sleeping bag liners so wasn't too much of an issue. The location is central, bit of a walk up those stairs but think of the calories you'll be burning! The staff were all friendly and helpful, the bathroom was clean, water was hot so overall it was a pleasant stay. Just make sure you don't get the room without the doorhandle!

• Stayed September 2010
7 Thank a_lucija
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I stayed here for one night in September 2010. I paid Rs 600 for a double room. The room contained two beds. The shared bathroom is very clean with really powerful showers. I think that this hotel represents good value in Mumbai.

The hotel is in a good location just minutes from Colaba Causeway. However the hotel is on the fourth floor without a lift and the stairs are quite steep.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo