The Shalimar Hotel
Ranked #54 of 463 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed February 8, 2013

The location can't be beat. If you have activity in the Kemp's corner, Breach Candy or Pedder road area, this is the only decent property that you can stay at. Rooms are clean although a little small. Service is very good. However, WiFi is very expensive and of very poor quality. There were parts of the room where the signal was non existent. Also, would need to log in repeatedly, often every 10 minutes, as the system would throw me out.
No Kleenex face tissues in the room. Can't believe that a modern hotel does not provide face tissues.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
TSHM, General Manager at The Shalimar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Dear stoprr

Thank you for the time that you have taken in providing a feedback of your stay with us.

We believe that guest feedback provides us with the best guidelines to constantly improve and maintain our service standards. We have made note of your observations and will definitely work on the same.

We look forward to your continued support and patronage.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

My primary concern when i travel is which hotel I should stay. I am very finicky about hygiene ( Doctor, can't help it) comfort, good food and most important to feel safe being a woman.
One of my Doctor friends recommended this place saying "try The Shalimar you will love it" and true to his words I did.
Surprise!!! It was not far from the airport, not far from my favorite restaurants and shopping areas either.
After battling the tumultuous traffic, I was in for a treat -the stark white reception of The Shalimar hotel.
Smiling efficient staff ushered me to my room.
The room hmmm, cant help but say , it is well furnished, well lit ,great detailing , all amenities ( refrigerator, coffee maker , locker you name it) well placed.
Review cannot be complete without mentioning my sojourn to the bakery and the salon.The date n walnut tea cake was delicious (divine , don't forget to try that one) ,the salon was small but efficient.i love the way the staff address me with a "Namaste".
Great hospitality , decent breakfast spread , a lovely lachcha paratha along with chef's butter paneer for dinner, what more could one ask for?
A great place to stay and I'm definitely coming back.
Thank you Shalimar, you guys are doing a great job, keep it up.

Room Tip: All the rooms have different themes, try a new one every time.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nijubhai

Dear Nijubhai

It is a pleasure to note that you had a pleasant stay with us and have expressed a desire to stay with us in future.

We look forward to your continued patronage and support.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed in this hotel 3 nights, the rooms are clean and the house keeping lady is very nice .

What I didn’t like about the hotel is that you have to pay to use the wifi in the hotel, if you want to use the business center that’s another charge, the bottle of water that costs 10 rupees is 150 rupees on the breakfast table!!! The rooms are not cheap at all and they make you pay for all these little things, I hate the stingy attitude. I rather pay $50 more for the room and have the bottle of water and wifi included!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
TSHM, General Manager at The Shalimar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear AviNY2011

Thank you for the time that you have taken in putting up a review of your stay with us.

We firmly believe that guest feedback plays a key role in the constant improvisation of services. We have made note that you were not happy with charges for some of our services.

However, the charges for various services, both in terms of the amount and the decision to charge, is based on survey that has been carried out by industry professionals. Further, charges are clearly defined and displayed and there are no hidden charges. Kindly note that we have various special offers from time to time on our website, which includes several services.

We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again on your future visit to the city.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

My month long India holiday started with a two-night stay in this hotel.After a 24 hour trip from South Africa, my partner and I were dropped off at the hotel at about 4 a.m.We learnt to our dismay that out room would be available from 12:00 on that day.Alternatively we could pay the full rate for a room , (just to use from 4 a.m to 12 noon.)
However, the receptionist on duty, Mangeesh, suggested that we wait a few hours in the lobby, and he will arrange a room asap, at no extra charge.Our room was ready before 8 a.m. Needless to say, we were very grateful to get a shower and some much needed sleep.

The room was somewhat small, but well furnished and comfortable. The bathroom was well designed with modern fittings. Towels were of a good quality.We were pleased that the room was thoroughly prepared, even though we needed it in a hurry!

Mangeesh turned out to be a very helpful and knowledgeable person, arranging a taxi for us to tour Mumbai, and suggesting how we could make the most of our time in the city.

Breakfast comprised more than the average fare, with fresh fruit and juices available. The restaurant staff actually went to each guest, and ensured that their preferences were catered for .We must Santosh for his accommodating nature.
The hotel is located in a business area of the city, so access to services (bank, laundry,taxi) is easy.
All in all, a good, value-for- money hotel with excellent staff.

Room Tip: Road noise can be a problem for light sleepers- ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Chester4_12

We are pleased to note that you had a comfortable stay and carry back fond memories with you.

We would also like to convey that we have made note of your observation with regard to room availability in the morning. For a guest wanting a room immediately on arrival, if it is prior to our official check in time, which is 14:00 hrs, we recommend that they book from the previous night. This is a standard policy that is adopted at any hotel world over.

We look forward to your continued support and patronage.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Have stayed here before , but thought I would write another review. I really like this hotel. The service levels are excellent. The traditional namaste to guests is indeed a big plus point. This time I stayed in a newly refurbished room. Fantastic mattress. What I liked also about this hotel is that even though it's an old hotel, must say that maintainence is good. I can imagine the effort put in by the management team.
Try the butter chicken in the restaurant- really very good, along with the naan.
The dosas at breakfast were good. Since I returned back early one evening I tried the spa. Relaxing and invorigating. Recommended hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
TSHM, General Manager at The Shalimar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear MK9973

Thank you for the time that you have taken in putting up a feedback of your stay with us and also for your continued patronage.

Your words are a definite source of encouragement and will help us continue with our efforts to provide service of the highest standards to our guests.

We look forward to your continued support.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed at The Shalimar Hotel with my wife and two daughters during my December 2012 Holidays and we had a wonderful stay!
It's an awesome hotel and very centrally located. The service was excellent. Staff were very pleasant, friendly and very attentive. Great Hospitality, always eager to help. Check in counter was very fast and efficient and our luggage was in our rooms within minutes.
The rooms are newly renovated, spotless, very comfortable and with all modern amenities. The rooms are also very well equiped with new air con, bar, fridge and flat screen TV with great channels. Bathrooms are very clean with really good water pressure. Just like a 5 star hotel!! and I have to say that they have the most comfortable mattress and pillows.
I was amazed at the huge and tasty breakfast spread ( their masala dosas are out of this world!) and also the restaurant "Gulmarg" has a very nice atmosphere and serves delicious indian food ( Butter chicken, nan and kebas were finger licking good). Room service was very very prompt and the food came hot and tasty. The bakery was reasonably priced and cheesecakes were really yummy!
The Spa was very relaxing as I came out totally rejuvenated and full of energy.
In the evening we went to their Lounge Bar ( Smooth ) and it was superb. Great ambience, good crowd with excellent choice of drinks available.
Overall, fantastic hotel, great location, excellent service and awesome food & drinks!! I highly recommend this hotel as we truly had a five star experience and I will definitely stay at the Shalimar the next time I visit Mumbai!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 7th floor are very comfortable.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
TSHM, General Manager at The Shalimar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Shamdaswani

Thank you for the time that you have taken, in putting up such a detailed feedback of your stay with us.

It is a pleasure to note that you have had a pleasant and memorable stay with us. Your words of appreciation will go a long way in further boosting the morale of the entire team.

We thank you for recommending our hotel to the others and look forward to your continued patronage and support.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Service was excellent, Very nice staff and centerally located. Sourroundings was very clean.
the Food, Spa, Room Service, Housekeeping all good
The room was clean, well maintained. Restaurant was good.
overall experience Very good 10/10 for Hotel Shalimar

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
TSHM, General Manager at The Shalimar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Ajay P

It has been our constant endeavor to provide guests with quality service; and feedback, such as yours encourages us to excel further.

We are pleased to note that you have had an enjoyable and pleasant stay with us.

We look forward to your continued patronage and support.