“Adequate and well priced for a two-night stay”
Review of The Shalimar Hotel

The Shalimar Hotel
Ranked #53 of 465 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I start this review by stating this is the only time I have visited Mumbai and so I have nothing to compare the Shalimar with in terms of other Mumbai Hotels.

I received a very efficient and friendly service from reservations staff before the visit, and they helped me with booking airport transfers which was really helpful.

The hotel itself looks like it has had a recent facelift. The reception area and the rooms are clean and modern, the bathrooms were very nice, and the bed was very comfortable.

We had a slight issue when we arrived in that the toilet in our room hadn't been cleaned thoroughly, but we called reception and this was dealt with immediately.

The service in the restaurant was a bit haphazard, and the breakfast wasn't really to our taste, but you can't have everything.

There was also a bit of tip-chasing from one staff member when we needed the business centre opening up for us, which was rather awkward. We understand the tip culture and paid at the appropriate times along the way, but didn't think we should tip just to have the business centre door unlocked...

The reception staff were friendly and helpful throughout, the room was cool and clean, and the location is good, so overall, this is decent option for a short Mumbai stay, in my limited experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
TSHM, General Manager at The Shalimar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear Nat_W2DWTK

Thank you for the time that you have taken in putting up a feedback of your stay with us.

We have always believed that guest feedback provides us with the best guidelines for improvement. Our continuous efforts in upgrading both facilities and services at the hotel have helped us to change with the times.

Your comments in such minute detail will definitely help us in our march forward.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I am business men that travel all over the world for my business, it was my first time in India I am lucky I have found this fabless hotel with excellent food (sandwich bar!!!and restaurant)and kind service, the hotel is quiet and peas full and very comfortable ,big rooms (big bed)with best comfort and design the hotel really look in to details- I am referring to the small things that make your stay really pleasant especially after a long day of work . I have stay in room 702. I recommend it to all the people that are visiting Mumbai to stay in it -in my eyes its India in it best

Room Tip: 702 but i heard from the other guests talking on the Greece suite
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank sefi s

Dear sefi s

We are pleased to note that you had a memorable stay with us and have several observations to share with us. We also appreciate you recommending us as being a suitable hotel for visitors to Mumbai city.

We look forward to your continued support and patronage.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I would have given this hotel a higher rating, but we were very unhappy with how they dealt with our complaint about noise from renovation. A letter in our room stated the work would take place daily till 6pm. Fine, no problem.
So when the renovation was still happening at 7pm, I complained to the front desk and was told they would stop immediately. Half an hour later, they were still making a noise, so I complained again. Again I was told they would stop work immediately. And again the work continued, now until 9pm.
In the end I had to go down to the front desk to demand he go up with me so I could see he was doing his job.
Very poor customer service -- when he said the first two times that he would tell them to stop, he was clearly lying.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank peterstebbings77

Dear peterstebbings77

Thank you for the time that you have taken to put up a feedback of your stay with us.

It has been our constant endeavor to offer the best of Shalimar to our guests. It has been purely with this intention that we have been upgrading our facilities and services, changing with times.

We have made note of your feedback and assure you that it may have been a stray incident of sorts. I apologize for any inconvenience that may have been caused to you during your stay with us.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I was first impressed with the pristine white lobby. Very well maintained boutique hotel. Very good rooms, the Indian food was superb. Very good location in South Bombay. The lounge bar had a fantastic ambience and good music.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anne S
TSHM, General Manager at The Shalimar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear Anne S

We are happy to note that you had a good and memorable stay. It is indeed a pleasure to note the minute detailing that you have observed during your visit.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

The service was excellent and everyone was eager to help. We checked the reviews over here and found this hotel to be suited to our budget for 1 night stay. We were in transit actually, had a flight connection but this hotel made for the perfect stay and we were utterly rejuvenated for our next journey. The food was good at their restaurant and we even tried some cakes from the bakery which were great as well. The location is very nice and we will definitely go here the next time we are in Mumbai.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear Afisa

We are pleased to note that you had a pleasant experience with us and have thought of staying with us in future too.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Compliments to the staff for eventually getting the internet working. The IT guy in particular, and other folks bent over backward to provide internet even though the hotel service was inoperable. The Manager(?) gave me an Airtel USB card to use in my computer. Top marks for this.

Bed was good, but I would have preferred a double sized rather than single. Just not used to these narrow beds. Very clean.

Room was spotless and the location on the back was quiet indeed.

Included breakfast was just fine with enough variety for me and excellent servers.

I think it was overpriced having stayed at Taj Hotels (both President and Palace) for marginally more. Check the larger luxury hotels for deals.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear gwpyvr1

It has been our constant endeavor to provide the best of Shalimar to all our guests. It is indeed pleasing to note that you have had a few positives to share.

We have also made note of your observations in relation to bed and price. Kindly note that we take pride in our facilities and services and prices are determined on the basis of certain survey conducted by industry professionals. We do have a variety of rooms to cater to the needs of every possible guest.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Nice & clean hotel with location advantage especially if you have work in that near by area. Good breakfast. Compact reception & lobby with Cake shop attached, one can take the cakes while on social call.Good food tried Indian & Continantal. Recommenede

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear Praveen S

We are pleased to note that you have carried back fond memories of your stay at The Shalimar and have commended us for some of services and facilities.