“Surprisingly good”

The Residence Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #102 of 456 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed January 20, 2009

It is difficult to find a decent hotel for a decent price in Mumbai. Great for airports but a bit of a schlep down to the old Bombay town. We had a 2 day stay before taking our complimentary taxi to the Int'l airport and it was just the job.
Jewel in the crown though is the lovely pool. 5* quality without the bill!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 8, 2008

I had a short stay, arrived at night from Indore by plane and asked for the room service for scissors to open the security seals around my luggage. The guy came, but wouln't leave the room, locked the door from inside so I wouldn't get out, grabbed me violently repeating please, please.... I screamed loudly and thank God got him to leave before he raped me. I then called the vice manager and talked to him and this guy as well. First this animal denied it all happened, but then after all had to admit that he did it. He collapsed and now repeated sorry, sorry... The receptionist told me at early morning that he was instantly fired.
I had a next flight early in the morning and ordered breakfast to my room at 6. It was badly late and so, didn't have time to eat it before leaving to the airport.

I sent a letter to the general manager afterwards, and got a reply saying "sorry, this won't happen again". I also asked whether the police was involved, but no answer to that. Therefore I'm writing a review here. Be careful, especially if you are a blond European girl or woman.

Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank Idotea
Reviewed November 13, 2008

I stayed there for two nights, and the rooms are fairly comfortable. The food is also decent.
However, I was in the hotel for four days, since we had hired rooms to run workshops, and I hope I never have to go back there! From serving tea, to their lift, everything is extremely slow! There is no coordination among the staff. If you tell one person in the morning that you have checked out and that you need a car in the evening to go to the airport, you get asked by someone else half an hour before departure when you plan to check out and there is no record of a car being booked.
And for a hotel that calls itself a convention centre, their business centre is one of the worst I have ever seen. The printer would crash everyt time I gave files to be printed; the internet wouldn't open; and when I got exasperated with the printer not working and told them to xerox some reports for me instead, the guy xeroxed the same report four times and simply changed the cover page!
A truly horrendous experience! I wouldn't recommend this hotel for any conferences or workshops.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2008

Stayed for a one-night stopover. They gave me a superior room (with free fruit basket!) as free upgrade from the standard.

There is quite some upgrade work being done but you're in rooms that don't suffer from noise. And my room (2nd floor east side) was finished. Perfectly silent airco (so that problem from earlier reviews is fixed in the upgrade). Stunning big pool, shared with Ramada hotel nextdoor (same owner). Nice buffets for B'fast and lunch. Spacious room with marble floor and all amenities, including free tea & coffy making. Only some minor details (e.g. in bathroom) left before they can call themselves 4 star.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2008

Coming from the NASTY Hotel Singh International the Residence Hotel was a pleasant pleasant stay. The staff is excellent and very very professional. The food was really good and FRESH... and the cake was delisc!!!
The gym was extremely clean and smelled great as well as the steam room... The Jacuzzi was under construction but the rest of the facility was so nice I didnt even think twice about it...

We didnt leave until the evening but they allowed us to check out at normal time and they held on to our bags the entire day...
They were safe in a locked closet....

Good deal and reliable....

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 13, 2008

We Checked in here for 1 night after our disastrous stay at "Hotel" Singh International. Clean, Business minded Hotel. They have a nice gym and a steam room that smell terrific . Booking on expedia gave us free in room internet. The buffet style meals are a good way to have food service. The pineapple upside down cake was delicious.
Our room was not ready when we arrived but they had us wait comfortably in one of their suites until it was. I had a great spirit of humanity moment here, when i left my expensive SLR camera in the waiting room and it was returned to me by staff. He made me very happy and think of things differently.

The mirror by the bed is a great touch

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed September 26, 2008

Stayed here for a total of 5 nights on business. The location is well tucked away and you would not go out of the hotel compound for a walk. The rooms are ok with very noisey window A/C units. Mine was so noisey that I was up and down all night turning it off and on. It would have helped if they had Mosquito screens on the windows as the room did have a fan.
There is a new Ramada next door, owned by the same owner and has a nice bar and bright restaurant.
The food at the hotel was good though and staff willing to please.
The hotel does need a lick of paint and better A/C in the bedrooms.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business