“Amazing hotel - great service”

The Fern Residency, Mumbai
Ranked #32 of 446 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
New Delhi, India
“Amazing hotel - great service”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Best hotel I've stayed at so far in Mumbai (this was my 5th hotel in Mumbai). Excellent value for money, has access to a gym, clean & modern, staff are friendly & helpful. Highly recommended.

Positives:
- Guests have access to Gym & Pool at the neighbouring Acres Club
- Staff is very friendly & helpful. They accommodated all my requests (including accepting a home deliver for me). Excellent people (Particularly remember Utkarsha, who was very helpful).
- Rooms are modern & clean
- Bathroom is modern & clean (with modern amenities from Biotique)
- Is cost effective (especially if booked 2 weeks in advance)

Negatives:
- A bit far from South Mumbai. Took me a good 45mins to 1 hour in the morning rush hour. Took 30 mins in the evenings (around 6pm) to get back to the hotel.
- Taxis are hard to get near the hotel. Have to book a cab via Meru (who generally don't seem to have cabs available in Chembur in the morning) or EasyCab. Then the drivers have a tough time finding the hotel.

But overall, I like the place. The small hassle of taxis & distance is worth it for a nice modern hotel within my budget.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Sanjib M, General Manager at The Fern Residency, Mumbai, responded to this review, June 20, 2013

Greetings from The Fern Residency, Mumbai !

Let me first take this opportunity to thank you for such honest & wonderful feedback with regards to your recent stay in our hotel.

Its certainly a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed the overall facilities & the services offered. I appreciate your feedback regarding the rooms, bathroom amenities , recreation facilities at The Acres Club & the helpful nature of our staff.

Its praise from Patrons like you that motivates everyone at The Fern Residency to go that extra step. I have shared your feedback with the entire team.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon at The Fern Residency, Mumbai.

Sanjib Mukherjee.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I travelled to The Fern for business and had a wonderful experience. The hotel staff is extremely accommodating and were always happy help you with any needs/problems. The rooms are very spacey, have comfortable beds and a great shower. The walls are a little thin and I could hear almost everything going on in the hallway. So, if you stay here, make sure to get a room at the end of the hallway. Overall, the rooms exceeded my expectations. The hotel staff leaves 1 or 2 bottles of water in your room so if you're a foreign traveller, you always feel hydrated. The downstairs restaurant is excellent. They have a good assortment of Indian food as well as a menu where you can order American food or other dishes if you don't appreciate Indian food. My main complaint about the hotel is the Wi-Fi. We had horrible connectivity and could rarely access the internet on a consistent basis. They have a business center where you can hardwire your connection, but this only improved connection slightly. The hotel staff is very knowledgable on the area and are more than happy to call you a cab if needed. The hotel does not have a gym. The hotel also had a laundry service. They did a good job on t-shirts, socks, and underwear, but I wouldn't allow them to wash any button up or anything with a big stain on it. The hotel is close to areas like Vikroli, Powai, and not too far from Kalaba. Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It's one of the nicer hotels in Chembur Mumbai and is very accomodating.

Room Tip: The top floor and the 4th floor have the best internet connections. Try to get a room at the end of...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sanjib M, General Manager at The Fern Residency, Mumbai, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much. It was really heartening to read your feedback and I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed our facilities and services that we offer.

I appreciate your feedback regarding the areas surrounding the hotel, rooms & the menu offered at our Art House restaurant. I have shared your words of appreciation & feedback with my entire team.

Your feedback pertaining to poor Wi-Fi connectivity is well noted & has been addressed to the concerned department, kindly accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused because of such inconsistent internet connection.

It is our constant endeavor to provide our guest with warmth & hospitality which they truly deserve.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

London
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed here for one night between arriving on the train one evening from Goa and catching a sleeper train out to Madhya Pradesh a day later. The taxi driver didn't know exactly where the hotel was as it seems to be fairly new, although they did know the Acres Club which is right next door to it, so we guided him to that.

When we arrived, everything in the hotel looked very new and clean. Check-in was friendly and efficient and we were soon in our room which was a decent size and had a large comfortable bed. The bathroom was modern and had a great shower! It was also very quiet, so I presume the windows we suitably insulated from the general noise of the city outside!

As it was late, we ordered room service and there was a good range of options including Indian dishes, pasta and salads. If I remember correctly, the room service menu was a subset of the main restaurant menu, but there was still sufficient choice. Breakfast was from a buffet which was replenished frequently and we also ate lunch in the restaurant and enjoyed that too.

The staff were very friendly at all times and always on hand to answer any queries.

As residents of the hotel we got to use the Acres Club next door. It's not a luxury club, but did have a swimming pool and a shaded outdoor cafe. The pool was quite busy with several families having a swim when we went to have a look, but it was nice to sit in the poolside cafe and enjoy a drink out of the heat of the Mumbai sun.

The location of the hotel was ideal for our needs as we were transiting between two railway stations in that area. However, if you wanted to visit some of the sights in the south of Mumbai, it would probably take some time to get there.

We left from LTT station which was a fairly short drive from the hotel although all the taxis wanted to charge an inflated fare when we tried to get one outside the hotel. In the end we just walked out to the street and got an auto rickshaw on a meter!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sanjib M, General Manager at The Fern Residency, Mumbai, responded to this review, May 21, 2013

Greetings from The Fern Residency, Mumbai !

Thank you for taking time out to share your valuable feedback with us about your recent visit to our hotel.It is our earnest endeavor to ensure that our guests enjoy a memorable experience and I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay with us.

We are also glad to learn that you were happy & impressed with the variety of recreational facilities offered at The Acres Club & the food and beverage services offered at the Hotel.

I have shared your insightful feedback with the rest of the team. Your words of appreciation are huge motivation and encouragement for us at The Fern.

On behalf of my team, I once again thank you and look forward to welcoming you again at The Fern Residency, Mumbai.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The services here are excellent. One thing you notice here is the staff friendliness and helpful attitude. Rooms are very clean and comfortable, the hotel theme is on ancient indian script so one will find different coloured rooms on different floors. Fair distance from airport can take around 30 minutes from airport but cant be better, remember you are in mumbai one of the biggest and busiest in world.
The breakfast is quiet good but can have more indian food variety on the menu. The bar list is great have drinks from round the world enjoyed my evening on bar. dhiraj (hope rightly spelled) restaurant/bar manager was very kind to explain about single malts quite knowledgeable. But was surprised and disappointed to find no Marlboro in this bar. the ambiance here is very pleasing as its white n white all over the lobby level, there is one staff who always keep cleaning this area, quite a task to handle. theres a club next door which is part of the hotel and free for hotel guests(pool, bowling,tennis etc), but one should prefer hotel restaurant for better service, its my preference as a foody traveller. but hotel location is good for business as its quite away from south mumbai-bombay. Will come back.

Room Tip: Rooms really good. location good for business. food quality good in hotel's restaurant. take roo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Q333
Sanjib M, General Manager at The Fern Residency, Mumbai, responded to this review, May 6, 2013

Greetings from The Fern Residency, Mumbai !

Thank you for taking time and posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. It was a privilege to have you stay with us at The Fern Residency, Mumbai. We are glad to learn that you were impressed with the overall services, facilities & the ambiance at our hotel.

I have shared your feedback with my entire team.I regret the inconvenience caused to you due to nonavailability of Cigarettes at the Bar, be rest assured as suitable corrective measures has been taken with immediate effect to rectify it.

We appreciate your feedback with regards to have more Indian items on the menu,will ensure your suggestions are looked into.

On behalf of my team, I Once again thank you and look forward to welcoming you again in our midst soon.

Warm Regards,
Athens, Greece
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I was transiting Mumbai to my onward flight to Greece. Having a timespan of approximately one & a half days to spend, decided to book in to one of the hotels whereby I can spend some quality time with my local friends.

I must say that it was probably the best of the hotel I must have ever stayed in the city of Mumbai. Having stayed in in renowned international brands, The Fern compared to them is nothing less. Modern rooms, great ambience, cleanliness & the facilities offered at the Acres are the ones to look out for had a great time there. All this at such "REASONABLE PRICE.....UNBELEIVABLE".

The breakfast spread was huge offering a taste satisfying both the India & Western palate.

The staff at the Front desk were amazing, managers on duty are always at your service with a smile on their face with the gesture to help you with all your queries at all time, they really make our stay more comfortable.

Would really return back to "The Fern, Residency" upon my next visit to the city.

Room Tip: Hotel landmark : "The Acres Club" , will help you locate the hotel better.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from The Fern Residency, Mumbai !

Thank you so much for your valued feedback. It gives us much joy in knowing that you truly enjoyed your stay with us and liked the overall quality of accommodation and service extended by our friendly staff.

We are also glad to learn that you were happy & impressed with the variety of recreational facilities offered at The Acres Club.

We have shared your insightful feedback with the rest of the team at the hotel and they are delighted to know that you have had a pleasant stay with us.We shall ensure that we strive to always meet your needs and requirements and continue to wow you during your further visits.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your favorite hotel in this city as soon as possible.

Warm Regards,
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is very far off!! Even the pre-paid taxi drivers from the airport did not find it... Despite several calls to the hotel.
Rooms and cleanliness quite nice.
Check out at 10:00 seems very early and unusual. As well as taxis to the airport arranged by the hotel are totally overpriced. Despite business hotel very instable wi-fi. Still far away from western standards!!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank dd206cc
Sanjib M, General Manager at The Fern Residency, Mumbai, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Guest

Greetings from the Fern Residency, Mumbai!

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback via your mobile phone.

Firstly, We are pleased to learn that you have appreciated the rooms & the cleanliness.

That said we are truly sorry for the negatives that occurred up during your stay and we would like to address them:

It appears that the major issue was your taxi driver’s inability to find our hotel.
As you are aware, Mumbai is a huge and widely-spread out city having a number of neighborhoods, the hotel is situated in one these prominent locations and is accessible to the business hubs. The maximum duration for a drive from the airport should be no more than 30 min, however it also completely depends on the level of traffic you may get. Our location is near a well-known landmark (The Acres Club) in Eastern and Central Mumbai and is known to any competent taxi driver who regularly plies that route.
Our location is also very clearly marked on Google Maps.

That said, we unfortunately cannot guarantee the quality of PUBLIC pre-paid taxis taken from Mumbai airport. This is truly out of our control. These drivers are given no training or background checks and are frequently newcomers to the city themselves.

For this reason we always recommend our own airport pick up service (which is very reasonably priced when compared to other hotels or private car services in Mumbai, or airport pick up services in most cities in the world).

While we cannot match the cost of a public taxi, there is a very good reason why most hotels and residents in Mumbai discourage their guests from using such public taxis.

During the tenure of your stay we did have issues pertaining to unstable bandwidth due to a failure by our internet provider. We have now rectified the issue and introduced a back up provider.

SInce our inception, we have had several Western and International guest patronizing our hotel, and appreciating our standards & services as can be witnessed by the generally excellent comments on the Trip Advisor forum.

Your constructive suggestions will definitely help us address the areas of concern. In case you would be visiting the hotel at any given occasion please do let me know (Mr. Sanjib Mukherjee -gm@fernresidencymumbai.com )as I would personally take care of your stay and the arrangements.

Warm regards
General manager.
DUBAI
Reviewed April 22, 2013

we had an excellent stay, the staff was friendly and very helpful, the breakfast was nice as well, though the location is bit away but it is worth visiting and staying, Rooms are modern, very clean and the hotel is good for family. overall it is a good value for money

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sanjib M, General Manager at The Fern Residency, Mumbai, responded to this review, April 23, 2013

Greetings from The Fern Residency, Mumbai !

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel services and my team. We are glad to learn that you were impressed with the overall services at our hotel.

I have shared your feedback with my entire team. Your words of appreciation are huge motivation and encouragement for us at The Fern.