“Great cheap/mid-range hotel in Mumbai”

Chateau Windsor Hotel
Ranked #72 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
London, UK
“Great cheap/mid-range hotel in Mumbai”
Reviewed November 9, 2008

You could do a lot worse than this hotel in Mumbai. It's not top end and it's not particularly beautiful, but it serves a purpose - good room, not too expensive and very centrally located. We stayed in the recently renovated first floor with a small window which gave onto the central courtyard. We would have preferred a room that had a balcony onto the street, but those were higher up and under renovation when we were there. The room was well equipped and almost "boutique" standard with a designed bathroom and tv etc - it's been nicely done, though we were looking for more of and old world colonial charm (not really sure this exists any more...). The staff were exceedingly helpful and friendly. Location is great as it's a minute from Marine Drive and five/ten minutes to most the central sights. A great functional hotel - which is not to damn it with faint praise....

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Leigh, Greater Manchester
Reviewed October 28, 2008

Mumbai hotels are expensive, so you shouldn't really judge the prices by other India prices.

The location of this hotel is amazing - about 50 yards from Marine Drive, within easy walking distance of Churchgate, the museums and galleries at Kala Ghoda.

I stayed in one of the un-renovated rooms. It wasn't the Taj - but then at 30-odd pounds a night I hadn't paid for that! My room was basic but it was spotless, and serviced every day. All four walls of the room were tiled, which looked a bit bleak .

There is a very basic room service menu - Tea, Toast, Eggs and soft drinks, which means you can get breakfast in your room. At Rs 60, the breakfast is good value and the service is fast and (usually) friendly, and the Tea was leaves in a pot with a strainer - something I haven't seen in a UK hotel for years!!

The absence of a restaraunt isn't a problem as there are loads of really good places to eat on Veer Nariman Road. I agree with what's been said on here about the Gaylord (the Garlic Naan there is an amazing thing!) - but I also loved the Tea Centre, on the same side of the road as the hotel, a bit further up VN road

So dion't expect the Taj, as you certainly won't be getting it, but it' does the job!

• Liked — Localtion, cleanliness and friendly service
  • Disliked — Room a bit bleak
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
Rochester
Reviewed April 7, 2008

I was really surprised at the brilliant standard of my room. It looks as if I had a brand new renovated room on floor one. It was very high tech and spotlessly clean. The bathroom was designer and the staff were all excellent. They were all really helpful and friendly. A great hotel to stay at a very reasonable price that is close to the beach area and offers great views of the ocean from just the end of the street. Also try the great pizza restaurant on the corner of the street, it’s really great food and service.

• Stayed April 2008
2 Thank lmelbourn
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2008

I stayed there for a week in early March 2008. It is an Indian hotel so don't expect 5-star comfort but, having said that, it couldn't be faulted. The rooms were clean, all the staff and reception were very helpful and friendly, there was a personal safe in the room, there was wi-fi available or use of an internet computer if you don't have a laptop. OK the a/c was a bit noisy and expect a bit of noise on the street side but I can't say it worried me. The location is excellent, close to many good places to visit and, most importantly, many good places to eat at. Anything you want (sim card for cellphone, car with driver, etc.) the reception staff are only too happy to arrange. If you want good value in Mumbai then I recommend it. If I return to Mumbai, I will definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Helpful staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank MPRD_UK
UK
Reviewed April 6, 2008

I booked 2 renovated deluxe rooms direct through the hotel and they honoured the booking.

OK, this is an Indian style hotel and does not have some of the facillities offered by some of the bigger Western style chains. The old style operated lift only adds to the charm. The renovated rooms are spacious, fairly clean, have AC, a TV, fridge (but no minibar) and en-suites. Some of the renovated rooms have seperate bathrooms, some have balconies and some are more modern than others.

Staff are friendly enough. Service was also quite good.

In terms of location, the hotel is spot on. To the west you have Marine Drive, to the East is the Fort district. Nariman Point (Hilton, Oberoi) are also in walking distance as are a few banks including HSBC. It's worth tipping the staff about 10 rupees now and again (for carrying luggage etc). The Ambassador hotel next door is dated - don't even bother for a drink. Gaylords Restaurant is OK but a few of us got ill (possibly from ordering Indian food there - we are British Indians).

On a negative note my wife is adamant that two of her t-shirts went missing during our stay. Nothing of mine went missing. Please note they do have in room safes for secure items.

The taxi drivers linked to the hotel are OK but we had a few spats with them and ended up hiring new ones each day after they kept on changing their quoted prices. My wife speaks excellent Hindi so we were able to communicate with them fairly well (some of them speak English).

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank clockwork
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed March 28, 2008

Mumbai is a crowded and expensive metro city, full of interesting historical sites within the city. Picked this hotel for its closeness to the Lamington Road. The hotel is only few minutes away from the beach and the Churchgte station.

I was shocked by its apprearence when I arrived. The lift is the good 60+ year-old "cage lift" we can hardly see it anywhere in major cities. I almost ran away to the nearby hotel when the staff show me the renovated Deluxe room on the 2nd floor. The room is equipped with all the bell and whistle of a typical 4-star room. The only complaint is the door doesn't have the manual lock, as the receiption lobby is on the 5th floor.

There are many eateries and restaurants next door. The Chinese restaurant is a no-no only if last resort. "Mocha" is a great place for coffee and food, very reasonable priced with great taste.

The Internet is cheap and good. The taxi drivers downstairs are reliable. The staff is very helpful.

I'll visit this hotel again if I want to stay south Mumbai.

• Liked — Location and value-for-money room
  • Disliked — No manual chain lock on the door
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank asia-feet
London, UK.
Reviewed March 26, 2008

Chateau Windsor was the first hotel we stayed at on our arrival in India and I was extremely disappointed. Our rooms were very basic with terrible views. Just about all of the staff were rude and unfriendly. Evertime I left my room they were skulking around the hallways staring at me and making me very nervous. I went to the desk to buy stamps and despite there being 2 staff on the desk i was told to go away and come back later! The only member of staff who actually smiled at me or talked to me was the nice guy who covered the evening shift. He always had a smile & chatted when he saw me, unlike any of the other surly looking staff. The door staff will attempt to get you to use the taxi's they hail as they are on commission but if you use one of their taxis it will cost you twice, possibly 3 times as much as one you find yourself & you will find you get a driver that speaks no English which can seriously hamper your journey. We were never shown around the hotel and only logging on to TripAdvisor today did I see in another review there was a roof terrace! This hotel is basic and not worth a penny over £25 a night. It is horrible and seriously over priced.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — I hated it all and was glad to leave