“Chateau Windor Hotel is in ideal location”

Chateau Windsor Hotel
Ranked #74 of 486 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I would like to tell all the tourist that Chateau Windor Hotel is in ideal location. First of all the staffs, rooms are hygiene and foods really likeable.
Price affordable even it is next to Hotel Ambassador

Very good hotel. safe location. Mainly staffs are friendly and proffessional,

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed May 31, 2012

I stayed for the 1st time at Chateau Windsor Hotel in 2010 and wrote a 1st (positive) review about it. I stayed there again in March and May 2012 and would like to share these recent experiences.

In March, having booked by e-mail, I didn’t pay any advance (vs. the usual one night advance payment on the hotel’s website), which was good, but the night receptionist could not find my booking. I was sent to a 1st floor room and was quite disappointed: same kind of “deluxe” room regarding equipment and décor, same price, but actually not the same value as the 4th floor room where I stayed in 2010: the room had no balcony; it’s one of the “inside” rooms, looking smaller and with a single small window facing the inside of the building: a rather gloomy sight!
Not that the room per se was bad, but it should not be billed the same price as the “deluxe” rooms with a view. To be honest, I was offered to change room as soon as possible, but finally stayed in the same since I was there for a 3-nights stay only.

In May 2012, I stayed on the 4th floor, where my room was just as perfect as the room I occupied during my first stay.
In fact, the hotel’s website features “regular” and “deluxe” rooms, but once you reach the hotel, you are being told about no less than 4 room types, including “suites”. This is rather confusing!
Wi-Fi is still 250 Rs for 4 hours, but during both stays, I experienced continuous connection cuts, which made even checking e-mails barely possible and internet a frustrating waste of time and money. Management seemed to be aware of the issue but couldn’t actually fix it during my stays.

Deluxe room’s price is still the same as in 2010, i.e. 5.000 Rs + tax. I’ve read a negative review by someone feeling scammed by the hotel, but it’s a fact that taxes have been raised several times in Bombay, and lastly in April 2012.
Currently 17.42% is levied (total room price is thus 5.871 Rs) and there’s nothing the hotel can do about it, besides not increasing its tariffs, which it actually did so far: this place is thus all but a scam.

Apart from these remarks about the “enclosed” rooms, unreliable Wi-Fi and somewhat outdated website, there’s nothing to criticise and much to praise: rooms are neat and very comfortable (pleasant decoration, good bed, cable TV, fridge, AC, electronic safe where you can store your laptop, intelligent lighting system … only prime quality amenities in perfect condition), staff is constantly very polite and efficient (a rarity in India), location is ideal in a plush area of Bombay (sea view on the roof terrace!).

A recommended place: if it doesn’t look at all like a Chateau from the outside, you definitely get lots of comfort and service at an affordable rate in a very pleasant area.

PS:
- Hotel has no restaurant but you’ll find plenty decent ones down the street.
- Simple continental BF is served in your room (even after BF time!) for 60 Rs per person only.

Room Tip: Try Deluxe room with balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Mumbai hotels are some of the most expensive in the world. Chateau Windsor Hotel is a gem when you weigh its location and price against all other similar hotels in Mumbai. We went in with high expectations after reading some positive reviews and our expectations were met. The Hotel exterior is the most disappointing part of the stay as it is in a fairly aged office building, taking up a few of the top floors. The elevator is old and you might immediately feel discomfort when arriving but the rooms are nothing like the common areas you see. We stayed in a deluxe room on the 5th floor and we had more than enough space, clean and modern bathroom facilities, and barely any noise from outside. The wifi (although not complimentary) has good signal and speeds are excellent. I was most impressed with the staff and their good service. Location is decent, close to Churchgate station and Marine Dr but a bit too far to walk to the Gateway of India. I think you would want to stay closer to Colaba for a short 2 night stay but definitely a good place for the budget but hygiene conscious traveller.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are worth the extra
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jessica G
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Great location, a few metres from the promenade

Friendly staff

Inexpensive but tasty breakfast, water etc.

Very clean and (looks like) recently refurbished rooms.

I like the idea of a laptop sized safe in the room

Better internet access than my hotel in Delhi - don't try to set up an account (as is implied by the wifi home screen) simply order a code from reception. If you follow the 'log off' instructions, you can switch off the wifi when you don't need (don't just disconnect), i.e. 24 hours is 24 hours of usage not a 24 hour period from when you start using it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank EAWhitley1
Reviewed May 6, 2012

This was a ok hotel. Location is very good, close to the Marine drive in Mumbai. If you want to have access to good restaurants, the location is very good. But if you need a hotel with restaurants and good dining options, this is not for you.

The service is ok. The rooms are clean but only offers very basic facilities. This is just a basic budget hotel. If you want little more, then go for the Ambassador hotel next door.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2012

The best bit about this hotel is the staff! This was the 1st hotel myself and my partner stayed at on our 5 month trip around India and Asia. The rooms were a little dingey and expensive for what was on offer, however our room was very clean.

The staff were fantastic and very accomodating. The 1st 3 mornings we were recovering from jet lag so did not have breakfast until late, which was after the hotel's set 'breakfast time'. The staff were more than happy to bring us our breakfast though to the roof top terrace.

Every member of staff was always very smiley and friendly (the friendliest we encountered on our travels!). We had booked an overnight train to Goa for 11pm on our last evening. Although the hotel was not able to keep our room (fully booked) they let us use the separate shower rooms and toilets in the hotel and even let us have a nap in their staff room before we had to leave for the train!

Although I'm sure you could find a better hotel room in Mumbai for the same price, I would come back to Chateau Windsor for the service.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LuIan
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Upon arrival I was quite sceptical of the Chateau Windsor as the reception area is like something from the 1970s and very untidy! However after checking in and being shown to our room I was pleasantly surprised. The room was spacious, clean and fairly modern. The bed was huge with fresh cotton sheets. The view left a lot to be desired but to get a good view in Mumbai you have to pay for it. The roof terrace was quirky and gave great views of across the city. The Gateway to India and Colaba causeway are within walking distance. All in all good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple