“Loved every second of it”

Chateau Windsor Hotel
Ranked #74 of 463 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed February 1, 2008

We stayed at the Chateau Windsor on Sunday, January 13, 2008 through Wednesday, January 16, 2008. While it doesn't look like much from outside, we were thrilled with our room and the EXCELLENT service that we were given during the duration of our stay. Apparently they are in the process of renovating the rooms and having read reviews prior to booking, we knew to ask for a renovated room. We had a very comfortable king-sized bed, television, en-suite bathroom, and hot water at all times. The room was spotlessly clean, as were the linens. The service was wonderful and we were treated very well. Don't miss the surprisingly good room service breakfast. Cheap, and yummy! Tea and coffee served in the room any time we asked for it. We have absolutely no complaints and we hope to have the opportunity to stay there again. The Gaylord restaurant is within walking distance and is worth a visit for a nice dinner. If you go, make sure you visit The Gaylord bakery for something sweet after dinner!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GLJezebel

Reviewed January 29, 2008

Firstly everyone must be aware by now that Mumbai is a real boom city and that it is difficult to find decent accomodation at a reasonable price. As Lonely Planet puts it you have to re calibrate your hotel/price expectations when you arrive in Mumbai However I must admit that The Chateau Windsor gave us an ejoyable stay and good deal. From reading other reviews I guess we were given a renovated room as the room was immaculate. This was one of the few rooms in India which were really clean. And I mean clean by western standards, not just "India Clean"
The location of the hotel is also good. Only 5 minutes in a cab from the main station or the hysterical tourist hub of Colaba. Just 100m from Marine Drive from where you can walk all the way up to Chowpatty beach and Malabar Hill.
There didnt seem to be a restaurant at the hotel - breakfast is served in your room or on the rooftop terrace and is a very good deal at 60 rupees.
As for the management and staff we found them very helpful. Despite arriving early they got our room in order by 11 'o ' clock and on our check out day they offered us the use of the room until 3 o' clock at no extra charge.

• Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank cmf99
Reviewed January 28, 2008

Be prepared to be rushed around on arrival. The staff seem to have a million things to do and you're just another thing. Our room was clean if basic but cost twice as much as the equivalent outside Mumbai. It did have AC, a balcony and a safe. Once we were settled, the staff were very helpful and room service was superb. Be prepared to share a toilet and shower but these were always immaculately clean and the water hot, both of which are unusual for Indian hotels. Breakfast on the roof terrace is recommended as is coffee at Cafe Mocha (3 minute walk left of the hotel).

The noise from traffic and Mumbai in general is pretty constant - bring a mozzie net and turn the noisy air conditioning off for a bit of peace, and get out of Mumbai as soon as possible!

On the way back we stayed at the Iskcon, in the Juhu area for a lot less and a far better experience - see the review!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Palinesque
Reviewed January 17, 2008

Although the renovated rooms are nice and the location good, I would not recommend this hotel--the management is terrible and dishonest. I stayed there as part of a wedding group. We booked ahead and reserved a block of the renovated rooms. When we arrived (at midnight and very tired--via our own transportation, i should note), our group was split up and given 3 unrenovated rooms and 1 renovated. The unrenovated rooms are horrible--no hot water, dingy, thin walls, twin beds and full of mosquitos. After making a fuss the next morning, we got renovated rooms, but no apologies. They even tried to pass off the room we had just vacated as renovated to one member of the group--luckily he had visited us in the room and knew better. Throughout the week, reception was generally unhelpful (although the staff was fine). When paying, we had to fight to take off random charges for faxes we didn't receive and food we didn't order. We were charged $100 for our first night, only $10 less than the renovated room rate, when it was worth about half of that. Management was unwilling to offer any kind of discount, even though it was their screw up. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank DodiJoyce
Reviewed January 9, 2008

I stayed here for 2 nights in November 07. It was very difficult to find reasonably priced accommodation in Mumbai but I managed to stumble upon this hotel. It is very well located (in the same vicinity as all the 5 star hotels, Hilton etc) We chose to be picked up at the airport by the Hotel, it would probably have been cheaper to get a regular taxi, but it was worth it for the comfort of a nice big air conditioned car and the pleasure of having someone waiting for you.

On arrival the Hotel is a little disappointing as the reception is 5 floors up on a dodgy lift, but the service, rooms and location more than make up for the first impressions.

We booked a superior room (which is WELL worth the extra money) I viewed the regular rooms and they were not great, so make sure you book a Superior room. Also request an ensuite bathroom. We had out own bathroom but it was out in the hall. I think ours was the only superior/deluxe room to have the bathroom separate. It didn’t bother me too much though because it was so close.

The service was exceptional, we were treated so well. They didn’t have a large room service menu so they would go outside and get food from wherever you wanted and bring it to you. They would deliver beer or food at any time of night, it was wonderful.

There is a restaurant across the road called Gaylord and it was the BEST Indian food we ate the whole trip, it was so authentic and I could not fault the food…yum!!

Be warned; do NOT eat in the revolving restaurant next door in the Ambassador. Firstly, the it is totally overpriced and not that good. Also the service is terrible. We were given the dessert menu during our main course because they wanted to go home. I have never in my life experienced such behaviour. It was our final night in India and we were utterly disappointed.

Overall, I would recommend the Chateau Windsor Hotel to anyone on a budget. If you are looking for total luxury, then this is not the place. If you are happy with somewhere reasonably priced, central, and clean with great service then this is the place for you.

Stayed: November 2007
2  Thank Danglecherries
Reviewed January 5, 2008

We were suppose to stay in this hotel for one week. We lasted for one day.
I booked the room trough internet and I also booked the airport pickup.
First of all, the pickup never came. We waited in the heat for one hour. After that I took a taxi from the counter outside airport.
Only thing the taxidriver knew, was the area we were headed.
It took three hours to get to the hotel, because the driver was lost.
When I told them in the hotel, I had an confirmation that the pickup was okay, and it never came, no apologise!
They only said, we dont know.
And as we hated the whole experience of mumbai, the hotel, neighborhood it was on... We decited to go to goa.
In booking the flights to goa they were very helpful.
But when I had the airline recipe, it occured that they had took 4000 rupies extra for the tickets.
I complained and they explained ´-what ever-´ to me , but I had most of my money back.
And when we went back for one more night (why, why?) they gave us an awful small room, with broken TV and we paid 6000 rupies fo one night.
I felt cheated and tired. I´m sorry, I cannot recommed this hotel for anyone.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Hazard
Reviewed December 19, 2007

It is one of these places who treat female travellers like [--]... We booked our deluxe room two month in advance and got a confirmation. We also reconfirmed via phone before flying to Mumbai. We also booked a pick-up service from the airport. When we arrived in Mumbai there was no pick-up at the airport, when we called we were told the cab was stuck in traffic and we should get out own transport. We took a cab, actually there was no traffic at all, it was very late...

When we arrived the Hotel had no Deluxe room for us, they did not care for our confirmation, the even shouted at us. We had to pass the night in a horrible, old, dirty, hospital like room, totally overpriced at 3000 Rupies. The airconditioning was as loud as a starting plane... As Mumbai was totally booked we had to stay full four nights in this place, no choice. We forced them to give us the deluxe room on the second day, which they did. The deluxe room was very nice and modern and kind of clean, except the cockroach in the bathroom...

During check out we complained to the manager. He did not care at all and even insulted us. The transfer back to the airport never arrived....

My worst experience in India!

Stayed: November 2007