“Not value for price”
Review of West End Hotel

West End Hotel
Ranked #122 of 454 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
“Not value for price”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in Feb-14. The location is pretty good, if you have work in South Mumbai. However, for the room price, the facilities are not upto the mark. The lift is British-era and definitely needs replacement. I was given a corner room and the room was spacious, and the bathroom was great. However, the bed and bedsheets etc. were quite old. Room service was prompt, however, the charges were exorbitant and the quantities were less than expected.
The staff is very nice and courteous.
However, I would recommend people to find a cheaper alternative if they plan to stay in South Mumbai.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Mumbai
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Very spacious room, courteous staff. I liked the old world feel to the hotel and the rooms. Spent only few hours at the hotel itself. Room was clean, functional and utilitarian. Location could not have been better. Based on my experience in Mumbai, great value for money.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel in December 2013. I landed up at 6 am and they checked me into my room without slapping any extra charges for early arrival (which most hotels would have done) and that was great. The establishment dates back to 1947, the year India got independence and the management clearly wants to preserve this old-world charm, which I very much appreciated. My (double) room was quite spacious and clean. I especially enjoyed the breakfast buffet in the morning, which was very extensive, with many cooked dishes. I remember the lunch buffet being great as well. Since this is an old building, there was some issue with the light bulbs etc, but the management fixed it up very well. The only unreasonable part was the wifi, which I had to pay for, and which was quite expensive, around Rs 160/hour, if I remember correctly. Other than that, a great experience.

Room Tip: Opt for room on higher floors for a peaceful sleep at night.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Titiksha
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 15, 2014

It isn't. The first impression on walking in, its a throwback to the 80s. I asked the receptionist about this. he said the owners want to keep it that way. Some may like it, I didn't. Having said that, the rooms were clean and large(not found in this area), furniture is antique or dated(take your pick), room service was prompt, AC worked well and toilet was clean with hot water from the shower in plenty. Sleep quality was not bad but there was a little traffic noise.A tea-heater would be nice in the rooms and it would help if the wifi was free. Breakfast is a buffet but forget taste, it was lousy. The immediate area around the hotel isn't the best. Lots of beggars but I never felt unsafe, just pestered. Stay here again ? Yes ONLY if I had business in the area, otherwise probably not.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I liked my time at the west end. rooms are clean, basic and the service is also of good quality. I thought the breakfast buffet was very tasty. would be happy to come back and stay again.

small note - the free wifi isn't actually free though - slight disappointment really, but on my travels at least the rate here wasn't as bad as others.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Feltham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here as part of our month in India, we had 3 days in Mumbai. The room was spacious and pretty clean. We had a problem with no cold water in the shower which was fixed immediately. Room service was excellent, extremely quick and efficient. The restaurant was expensive for what you get - breakfast was average. You also have to pay for wifi which always feels like a cheek when a lot of lower priced hotels offer it for free. The man who checked us in on reception was very abrupt and brusque and answered every question as if you should know the answer. He also told us you have to have a separate wifi voucher for each device - not true!! So don't listen - other than him the service really was great though. Would recommend if you're looking for something close to the tourist attractions at a reasonable price.

• Stayed January 2014
Essex
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We lunched here and the food choice was good as were the waiters who were helpful and attentive. We later returned to change clothes and wait our sleeper train journey to Goa. The room was a bit shabby and well dated but a good size and the a/c worked fine. We tried out the hotel bar, which must date back to the 80's, but the waiters were very friendly and continuously topped up our table snacks, which were all free of charge.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple